Varun Dhawan speaks on Tanushree Dutta

1123328 thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Varun Dhawan says he applauds Tanushree Dutta's courage to speak up against sexual harassment

Varun Dhawan says that Bollywood should treat everyone with equal respect and it was applaudable that Tanushree Dutta found the courage to speak up against sexual harassment in the industry.

BOLLYWOOD Updated: Oct 01, 2018 19:12 IST
Indo Asian News Service
Varun Dhawan,Tanushree Dutta,Nana Patekar
Indian Bollywood actor Varun Dhawan poses during the promotion of the Hindi comedy-drama film 'Sui Dhaaga' in Mumbai.(AFP)

Actor Varun Dhawan has applauded the courage of actor Tanushree Dutta, who has spoken out about experiencing sexual harassment.

Tanushree, a decade after she first named Nana Patekar for harassing her on the sets of a film, has once again spoken out about the ordeal in the wake of the global #MeToo movement. Several celebrities have spoken out in support of the need for several others to come out about their experience.

Varun, who was present at the ninth Jagran Film Festival's closing ceremony here on Sunday night, was asked to comment on Tanushree's claim.

He said: "I have been busy with Sui Dhaaga', so I haven't really heard the whole story, but I think what's most important at a work place is respect -- whether for a woman, man or a child. We want to make our industry a safe place and everyone deserves equal respect. Also if someone is openly talking about the issue, we should hear them out. It takes great courage to talk about it and I applaud that courage.

Varun was presented the Best Actor Award by Pooja Bhatt for October at the Jagran Film Festival awards night.

"This award holds a very special value. It is deserved by Shoojit Sircar, Juhi Chaturvedi and the team. When I had started the film October', I had no idea what I was doing or was going to do. It is a very special film for me and I can't express it in words. I think October' will live on among the audience's mind for a long time, he said.

He is also happy with the response to "Sui Dhaaga - Made In India, which is drawing a positive reaction from cine-goers.

"The success of Sui Dhaaga' is a very big deal for me. I think this is mine, Anushka's and the entire team's hit. When you do a film like Sui Dhaaga', you hope for people to like it and also for it to make money at the box office. So, this mix of commerce and arts that is happening with the Sui Dhaaga' success is very special for me.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1123328 thumbnail
First A list male star to speak on this issue without ignoring the matter.
ghissapitta thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Has more balls than the likes of Big B and Salman.

Anyways, thank you Varun! Using your platform to show your support for the victim, particularly how her voice should be heard and acknowledging that it takes guts to come forth with it. Good on ya 👏
piya2025 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Respect sweetheart,Respect!
Do the right thing and May God be always with you.

SriRani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Bravo Varun. Appreciate his guts for at least condemning it.
LilBitOfAlexis thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Glad at least he didn't ignore the issue like others
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
He hasn't really said anything. No need to praise him. Still talking in circles
1112805 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

He hasn't really said anything. No need to praise him. Still talking in circles

You're always bitter???

Take some chill pill. Take a break. Learn to digest praises and success of other stars.
Or deal with your fav being a flop star
1098676 thumbnail
Lolz, he's just promoting his latest movie.😆
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: .Kalank.

You're always bitter???

Take some chill pill. Take a break. Learn to digest praises and success of other stars.
Or deal with your fav being a flop star

Why do you always have to make it about me? Which fav are you talking about? Because Alia is my current fav and shes doing better than Vaun😆

Sorry but this statement Varun has given HELPS NO ONE and does nothing.