Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: roni_berna

Nope. I have seen many such temples and pandits themselves who believe women can't worship the God as it would be a sin. Not rare but a true fact. A holy place should be open to all and one shouldn't be restricted on the basis of gender or religion. 

My intention was not to put down any religion but just state that every religion has such restrictions (including my own) which are based on various factors that are considered sinful so there's no point saying my religion doesn't do it and only other religions do it. If one considers a religion inferior and theirs superior, that's what is considered extremism.

Can you name some of those 'many temples'? They're a very small minority and an exception to the rule, not the general rule.

It's not about inferior or superior, it's about facts. In Hinduism there is no gender-based discrimination as far as entering temples are concerned (excluding a handful). 
flipfl0p thumbnail

Originally posted by: roni_berna

Nope. I have seen many such temples and pandits themselves who believe women can't worship the God as it would be a sin. Not rare but a true fact. A holy place should be open to all and one shouldn't be restricted on the basis of gender or religion. 

My intention was not to put down any religion but just state that every religion has such restrictions (including my own) which are based on various factors that are considered sinful so there's no point saying my religion doesn't do it and only other religions do it. If one considers a religion inferior and theirs superior, that's what is considered extremism.

On bold. There is some kind of stigma attached to the period days of women (which is there is other religions too). There are people, who say women cannot worship in those days. Otherwise, we have rarely heard that women cannot worship. 

As someone pointed out, there are certain temples which are only female friendly. Also in most Devi temples (which are more than half of the temples in India), there are some special times on certain days of the week. That time, Devi is worshipped only by females. (Something similar to ladies reserved compartment in trains). There is no written ban on men (as practices in Hinduism is not codified). But, usually men don't attend these rituals. 

Another thing one did not point out is the absence of Gowri (Sharukh's wife). That's because, Ganesh festival is the festival for men. Previous to Ganesh festival day is Gowri's (the Godess) festival, which is the festival for women. There is nothing about gender inequality here. 

I do not support those who started the comparison between polytheistic and monotheistic religions in this thread. It is comparing apples and oranges. Multicultural society demands to respect each other's faith. Ridiculing someone else's faith will not make our faith (may be that is liberalism as well) stronger. It just reflects on our personality and prejudices. We can defend our faith, without belittling others. 

I came in to defend my faith, as you said it treats women inferior. True, it does not treat both as equal. Instead it treats both as individual, special. 

On the thing underlined. Yes, I do agree with you. 
Edited by flipfl0p - 5 years ago
Haila_tu thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: iambest

why religion always become issue in india ... 

Because we actually have more than one religion.😉
I hate to be so direct, but this extremism is seen more in subcontinental Muslims who reside in Europe. Those back home seem to be comparatively more tolerant and broad-minded. 
Why is that so, I wonder. 
nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
When there are temples that allow only women, where does the question of inequality come in, pray tell?
If the deity stipulated that women not visit that temple, then why do some women want to visit that deity against the wishes?
Why do people go to temples anyway? Because they believe in that deity right? So how can they say we believe and still not adhere to the deity's principles?

Anyway, I want to visit Kedarnath soon before it closes for the season. There is definitely a black meteorite shivalinga there. Some people believed the Vatican propaganda that shivalinga is just the phallic shape. But as one can see from photos, that shivalinga is not even that shape. And it's so huge like an iceberg that no one can ever steal it.

Now many Indian Muslims have realised that there was nothing in Kaaba except Shivalinga that's why they've started visiting Indian temples only. 
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Muslim-priests-at-900-yr-old-Shiva-temple-in-Kashmir/articleshow/4751800.cms

Fawad321 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: anonymous39

He doesn't give a damn what any trolls think. SRK has always been this way. He was at a Ganesh pandal today too. 

The stubble is back. SRK should keep this look, it suits him. 
LiveEatLove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: iambest

why religion always become issue in india ... 

Many comments there were by Pakistani muslims, many from south east asian nations and some Brit Muslims...
roni_berna thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

On bold. There is some kind of stigma attached to the period days of women (which is there is other religions too). There are people, who say women cannot worship in those days. Otherwise, we have rarely heard that women cannot worship. 

As someone pointed out, there are certain temples which are only female friendly. Also in most Devi temples (which are more than half of the temples in India), there are some special times on certain days of the week. That time, Devi is worshipped only by females. (Something similar to ladies reserved compartment in trains). There is no written ban on men (as practices in Hinduism is not codified). But, usually men don't attend these rituals. 

Another thing one did not point out is the absence of Gowri (Sharukh's wife). That's because, Ganesh festival is the festival for men. Previous to Ganesh festival day is Gowri's (the Godess) festival, which is the festival for women. There is nothing about gender inequality here. 

I do not support those who started the comparison between polytheistic and monotheistic religions in this thread. It is comparing apples and oranges. Multicultural society demands to respect each other's faith. Ridiculing someone else's faith will not make our faith (may be that is liberalism as well) stronger. It just reflects on our personality and prejudices. We can defend our faith, without belittling others. 

I came in to defend my faith, as you said it treats women inferior. True, it does not treat both as equal. Instead it treats both as individual, special. 

On the thing underlined. Yes, I do agree with you. 

Firstly, someone called the people who commented on SRK's post extremists while I din't believe they are as I've met people who have similar views about their religion and call others fake for their beliefs or behavior and they weren't Muslims. The people who commented on SRK's post did not sound like people who would go about throwing stones on those who don't follow their religion faithfully as their words were still polite while extremists use foul language.

@bold: I am not aware of the names of such temples but there was a Shani temple where women couldn't enter and there was a court case too. Like someone shared a link here, men aren't allowed in some temples. Here are some other temples too: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Women-are-not-allowed-in-these-places-of-worship-too/articleshow/53871816.cms. Lord Kartikeya doesn't allow women to worship him.

@red: I never wrote anywhere in my post that your religion treats women inferior. I said that there are temples that restricts women from worshiping the God and consider it a sin or simply restrict them. There's a huge difference in what I said and what you interpreted.

@underlined: I don't know if you are referring to me. I made the comparison for the reason stated above and there's no harm in doing so. Having a healthy conversation is better rather than having no conversation itself. The purpose of a forum is this although this conversation has to be shifted to the Debate mansion.

I did not wish to give so much explanation about a thing that's known whether it's rare or not but since there are so many people asking for an explanation, I posted some links. Since every religion has such beliefs, there's no point condemning other religions for their beliefs while I am seeing that happening here. 
Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
The comments are disgusting. People need to keep their religion to themselves. But all these half-half religion makes no sense. Respecting religion is one thing. Yes respect them and people's feelings. Their faith is as important as your own. But how can you identify as a half muslim half hindu? Does that even make sense when the core beliefs in both religion are opposite. 
2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
We really dont know what  SRK truly believes. There are lot of cultural hindus/christians/muslims etc who only do the rituals cos of culture but dont believe in anything and there are also lot of  actual religious people who dont look as one Edited by 2RsFan - 5 years ago