Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago
I saw the news just now. This is devastating. Can someone with knowledge of medical terms explain what this means and what are the treatments?
"I have recently been diagnosed with a high grade cancer that has metastised, which we frankly did not see coming."
ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
That is terrible. Hope she recovers.

She said it was high grade cancer, not stage 4. Stage and grade are different things. FYI.

Cancer stages

Different types of staging systems are used for different types of cancer. Below is an example of one common method of staging:

• stage 0 indicates that the cancer is where it started (in situ) and hasn't spread
  • stage I the cancer is small and hasn't spread anywhere else
  • stage II the cancer has grown, but hasn't spread
  • stage III the cancer is larger and may have spread to the surrounding tissues and/or the lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system)
  • stage IV the cancer has spread from where it started to at least one other body organ; also known as "secondary" or "metastatic" cancer

Cancer grades

The grade of a cancer depends on what the cells look like under a microscope.

In general, a lower grade indicates a slower-growing cancer and a higher grade indicates a faster-growing one. The grading system that's usually used is as follows:

• grade I cancer cells that resemble normal cells and aren't growing rapidly
  • grade II cancer cells that don't look like normal cells and are growing faster than normal cells
  • grade III cancer cells that look abnormal and may grow or spread more aggressively

TheRager thumbnail

Originally posted by: ponymo

That is terrible. Hope she recovers.

She said it was high grade cancer, not stage 4. Stage and grade are different things. FYI.

Cancer stages

Different types of staging systems are used for different types of cancer. Below is an example of one common method of staging:

• stage 0 indicates that the cancer is where it started (in situ) and hasn't spread
  • stage I the cancer is small and hasn't spread anywhere else
  • stage II the cancer has grown, but hasn't spread
  • stage III the cancer is larger and may have spread to the surrounding tissues and/or the lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system)
  • stage IV the cancer has spread from where it started to at least one other body organ; also known as "secondary" or "metastatic" cancer

Cancer grades

The grade of a cancer depends on what the cells look like under a microscope.

In general, a lower grade indicates a slower-growing cancer and a higher grade indicates a faster-growing one. The grading system that's usually used is as follows:

• grade I cancer cells that resemble normal cells and aren't growing rapidly
  • grade II cancer cells that don't look like normal cells and are growing faster than normal cells
  • grade III cancer cells that look abnormal and may grow or spread more aggressively

So it is Stage 4 only. Because she said metastatic cancer. Treatment is extremely tough and painful...
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: TheRager

I saw the news just now. This is devastating. Can someone with knowledge of medical terms explain what this means and what are the treatments?

"I have recently been diagnosed with a high grade cancer that has metastised, which we frankly did not see coming."

Metastised is usually used for Cancer which is in 4th stage as in when it has spread to other parts. I hope, I am wrong about this one though.
Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
I hope she gets well soon ❤️
ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: TheRager

So it is Stage 4 only. Because she said metastatic cancer. Treatment is extremely tough and painful...

I missed that...

damn. It must be so traumatizing for her.
TheRager thumbnail
Life is so strange...just on Sunday I think I saw her on some reality show as judge and I was thinking 'Wow! She still looks good'.
Illyrion thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Metastasized means it has spread somewhere away from where it started. Different cancers are staged differently but in most cases metastases make the cancer stage 4. High grade means the cells look (to a pathologist under a microscope or by gene analysis, protein expression, etc) very abnormal whereas low grade would "look closer to the normal cells. Generally high grade is expected to be more aggressive but this isn't always true. Without knowing what specific kind of cancer it is (where it started in her body) it's hard to say how bad the prognosis is.
Edit: Ponymo is a super fast poster! May I just emphasize that we are talking in generalities and most common cancers when we are assuming stage 4. For example, metastatic thyroid cancer could be as low as stage 2. I fear the worst ... but am hopeful it isn't.
Edited by Nova19 - 6 years ago
Fluffyalexis thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
OMG Sridevi mom died due to wrong surgery from the same Hospital.Here is the NEW York Times Article from 1995

On May 26, Rajeswari Ayyappan, the 59-year-old mother of the Indian actress known as Sridevi, underwent surgery for a malignant tumor on the left side of her brain. The tumor, however, was left intact because her neurosurgeon took another patient's X-rays into the operating room and operated on the wrong side of Mrs. Ayyappan's brain.

Mrs. Ayyappan was transferred to New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, where another surgeon removed the tumor. She was in stable condition yesterday.

A spokeswoman for Memorial Sloan-Kettering, Christine Westerman, said yesterday that the neurosurgeon, whom she would not identify, had lost surgical privileges and that the case had been referred to the New York State Department of Health.

An internal review at the hospital, she said, had found that the neurosurgeon "was unable to locate the tumor because it was later found that the surgeon had brought the wrong set of films into the operating room." She added, "The patient was closed and returned to her room." Ms. Westerman would not comment on whether the botched surgery had damaged Mrs. Ayyappan's brain functions.

In an effort to "insure that this cannot happen again," she said, the hospital will now require that a presurgical checklist be signed by an operating surgeon and a senior nurse.

807116 thumbnail
Shocking is an under statement.
Prayers. Big hug to her kids.