Users

Frequent Posters

Rangaaa thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago
Ayushmann KhurranaVerified account @ayushmannk
More

Ayushmann Khurrana Retweeted Aamir Khan

Such a beautiful and an inspiring journey. #QSQT fan forever.

Dr. Shruti KapoorVerified account @kapoors_s
More

Dr. Shruti Kapoor Retweeted Aamir Khan

A classic! Such a refreshing love story! Can't believe 30 years just whizzed by! #QSQT

Anand KumarVerified account @iamanandkr
More

Anand Kumar Retweeted Aamir Khan

Congratulations sir @aamir_khan Well You made us bunk our school n just made us sit in the theaters all the time ,remember watching #QSQT 30 times in 1988 n yes one more thing , the balcony use to be full of girls.. #Starwasborn #cult #film

Anand KumarVerified account @iamanandkr
More

Still remember how cute @aamir_khan looked in QSQT In the song when the song "Ae Mere Hamsafar" starts, his killer innocent look and @iam_juhi you made us fall in love .. This was season of love , all wanted to fall in love #30YearsofQsqt #30YearsOfAamirKhan

SumanthVerified account @iSumanth
More

Sumanth Retweeted Aamir Khan

My favorite Bollywood love story from the last 30 years. Thank you #QSQT

rahul dholakiaVerified account @rahuldholakia
More

rahul dholakia Retweeted Aamir Khan

I saw Qsqt in a video coach bus from mumbai to Shirdi.. gazab ka hai din, Saal, tees saal !!

Farhan AkhtarVerified account @FarOutAkhtar
More

Farhan Akhtar Retweeted Aamir Khan

I this movie. Congratulations on completing three decades @aamir_khan @iam_juhi & team #QSQT ... I miss Mansoor.

Rangaaa thumbnail
AAMIR KHAN FAN CLUB @Aamir_KhanFC
More

.@aamir_khan celebrating 30 Years of his journey in Indian cinema! #30YearsOfAamir #30YearsOfQSQT #MondayMotivation

http://twitter.com/Aamir_KhanFC/status/990792837515096064

Rangaaa thumbnail
Baradwaj RanganVerified account @baradwajrangan
More

Apparently, #QSQT is 30. Here's something I wrote 5 years ago... "Aamir was speaking to every single teen who was asked, as a child, what he or she wanted to be when they grew up and who could only muster up a blank stare by way of a reply."

http://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/lights-camera-conversation-dreams-die-first/

Can you believe QSQT is a quarter-century old? And can you believe that love, once, was so unattainable?

I'm sorry if I'm turning this column into some sort of nostalgia machine, remembering movies simply because they turn a certain age but there just wasn't any way I was going to be able to resist writing about Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, which turned twenty-five years old on April 29. Considering the stature Aamir Khan has since assumed, I'm surprised the celebrations haven't been more lavish you know, embalming the negative in gold, that sort of thing. But seriously, the film needs at least a token salute, if only because its success showed filmmakers that there was more to popular entertainment popular music than throbbing beats and psychedelic disco floors. At least for a while. At least until, say, Jackie Shroff, in Lakshmanrekha, likened Sangeeta Bijlani to an automobile and went into rhapsodies about her bumper. For a while, QSQT (whose star was instantly christened the QS Cutie') brought back the promise of wholesome Hindi cinema.

Hosted by imgur.com

For some of us, those nearing the end of school or already into college, the film was something of a generational marker. I refer, of course, to the song that was not just a song but an anthem, Papa kehte hain... This was one of the first instances of teenage confusion I remember seeing on screen. We were used to kids dropping out of school and college, and those kids became delinquents and grew up to be Amitabh Bachchan (in the 1970s) or Sanjay Dutt (in the 80s) but here was a clean-cut lad telling us that he just didn't know what he wanted to do in life. Even today, when I see the song, I am overcome by sentiment, recalling a time when the umbilical cord was going to be snipped, when school would soon give way to hostels and an unknown future. Or as the song put it: Magar yeh to koi na jaane ki meri manzil hai kahan...

When the song occurs in the film, it's the last day of college a banner says "Rajput College Farewell to 3rd Year Students. It's a raucous party. A big band's on stage, with one most enthusiastic drummer. And then Aamir Khan steps up with a small monologue and slips into the song. What made the number closer to heart, to experience (even to someone like me who was still in school), was the fact that only Aamir, among his batch mates, seemed confused everyone else seemed quite sure about what they would do, where they would end up. As the song makes clear, some kids would end up engineers, some kids would make their name in business but Aamir doesn't know what awaits him. He was speaking to every single teen who was asked, as a child, what he or she wanted to be when they grew up and who could only muster up a blank stare by way of a reply.

The amusing thing is that the song isn't meant to be about this confusion. That's only the first part, which builds up to the second, where Aamir reveals that, unlike these prosaic friends of his, he's something of a poet, and that his desires aren't professional but personal. He dreams of a girl with magic in her eyes and love on her lips. It's a clever song situation that alerts us to where this boy's destiny lies, not in the world of engineers and businessmen but in the world of hearts (which, thankfully, sounds far less corny in Hindi, when he says "Dil ki duniya mein apna naam karega). As it turns out, his wishes are fulfilled. He gets the girl of his dreams. And he dies. Looking back at the film today, perhaps this was inevitable. Liberalisation was just around the corner. Money would come to mean everything. The country would become a breeding ground for professionals, not poets.

In the years that followed, a certain kind of poetry would be lost from the movies too. Another song I love from the film is Kahe sataye, which Juhi Chawla sings to Aamir at night, across the small fire that separates them. She's never been alone, she's afraid, she's annoyed that he's apparently dropped off to sleep so easily and these feelings burst forth in a lyrical fashion. Such a song would be inconceivable today because no one would listen to such a slow tune, and more importantly, today's heroines just aren't that nave anymore. And in a world where parents and families feuding or otherwise have vanished from screens, and where men and women are free to cohabit with ease, love has transformed from a Holy Grail to a stainless steel cup, the romance replaced with utilitarianism. Sometimes we watch older films and say "They don't make them like they used to. With QSQT, it's more like "They couldn't make this today even if they wanted to. The country is no longer a destination for dreamers

807116 thumbnail
So innocent, still fresh.
How much India has changed.

One should make a film "Tees Saal Baad".
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj80

Another song I love from the film is Kahe sataye, which Juhi Chawla sings to Aamir at night, across the small fire that separates them. She's never been alone, she's afraid, she's annoyed that he's apparently dropped off to sleep so easily and these feelings burst forth in a lyrical fashion. Such a song would be inconceivable today because no one would listen to such a slow tune, and more importantly, today's heroines just aren't that nave anymore. And in a world where parents and families feuding or otherwise have vanished from screens, and where men and women are free to cohabit with ease, love has transformed from a Holy Grail to a stainless steel cup, the romance replaced with utilitarianism. Sometimes we watch older films and say "They don't make them like they used to. With QSQT, it's more like "They couldn't make this today even if they wanted to. The country is no longer a destination for dreamers

No man. Rashmi was being naughty. 😆 Interpreted in #VeereDiWedding language- Why the F are you sleeping so far from me! Come on! This is the jungle. No one is here. No need to be so damn shy. Come close to me, you idiot! I have been flirting with you for days and you keep running away...W*F! I know you like me! Don't play hard to get OK! 😆

[YOUTUBE] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqtKKtC0rU[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by LifeOLicious - 6 years ago
Dexterlove thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: LifeOLicious

No man. Rashmi was being naughty. 😆 Interpreted in #VeereDiWedding language- Why the F are you sleeping so far from me! Come on! This is the jungle. No one is here. No need to be so damn shy. Come close to me, you idiot! I have been flirting with you for days and you keep running away...W*F! I know you like me! Don't play hard to get OK! 😆

[YOUTUBE] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqtKKtC0rU[/YOUTUBE]

While Rashmi was dainty but she was not someone waiting for the guy to make first move.I must say a refreshing change from other heroines.
clairvoyance thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
wish if this pair could be repeated.

Dexterlove thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: clairvoyance

wish if this pair could be repeated.

I hope that happens.
Rangaaa thumbnail
Juhi ChawlaVerified account @iam_juhi
More

QSQT the foundation stone of my career, what a lovely time we had, laughing, playing games, rehearsing, fighting & shooting in between Ever grateful to Nasirsaab, Mansoor, Aamir, Nuzhat, Anand Milind , Alka , Udit & QSQT team!

LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
She posted she posted finally!!! Lol!!! And see fighting'! She always says she & Aamir used to fight like kids on the sets 😆

I wonder why she waited for four days!!! Giving Aamir's PR space?? 😆

Edited by LifeOLicious - 6 years ago