Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rangaaa thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago
Aamir KhanVerified account @aamir_khan
More

Feels just like yesterday...can't believe it's been 30 years. Love, a.

Rangaaa thumbnail

Word Count: 0

Rangaaa thumbnail

Gautam Chintamani on 30 years of Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak: It pressed a refresh button on Hindi cinema

Author Gautam Chintamani catalogued the making of the iconic romance film and dissected its impact and influence by speaking with the cast and crew of the 1988 film.

Mumbai - 29 Apr 2018 20:06 IST

In his foreword, Mansoor Khan himself called Chintamani's account of the film's journey a "thriller-like narrative. For fans of the film and for film buffs, there is a lot to discover. Did you know, for instance, that singer Alisha Chinoy had auditioned for the female lead? Or that it was one of the first Hindi films to have computerized scripts printed and walkie-talkies on the set?

Chapter by chapter, Chintamani has brought alive how all the pieces of the QSQT puzzle fell into place. Speaking to Aamir, Mansoor and cinematographer Kiran Deohans on how the film came together was fascinating for him.

"These three guys were such a closely knit unit," he noted. "It's amazing that very rarely do you come across films where the lead actor, the director and the cameraman are so much in sync." According to Chintamani, some previous examples of this were Guide (1965), Deewaar (1975) and Lamhe (1991).

"I think films are a reflection of society at that time and also filmmaking of that time," he said. "The best legacy is how they remain relevant, even after decades; how they continue to inspire generations of filmmakers and actors with their simplicity. QSQT's legacy for me would be that great change happens very subtly. You don't see it happening and those are the truly great changes.

Chintamani has also written books on the National award-winning film Pink (2016) and a biography of Rajesh Khanna titled Dark Star. He also spoke about why it is important for Hindi films to be discussed through books.

"When I was writing my book on Rajesh Khanna, a lot of people in the film business were taken aback that you could write about a film like Red Rose (1980) or a film like Aap Ki Kasam (1974) and explore it in the same way as a Mother India (1957) or a Mughal-e-Azam (1960). That trepidation somewhere has gone now. People are now open to the idea of looking at their films as art forms.

He thinks 20 to 25 years is the right time to go back and revisit certain films and filmmakers, especially since classics like Orson Welles's Citizen Kane (1942) also never got their due when they were released.

"I don't think there should be any hesitation looking at a film which is totally commercial and totally escapist and trying to look at the impact it has had in filmmaking in India," Chintamani said. "That hesitation, or embarrassment, needs to be let go of. If you don't look at Manmohan Desai's films, then it would be very difficult for us to understand the films of Farah Khan or Rohit Shetty. A lot of people would not hold Rohit Shetty in the same league as a Manmohan Desai, but 20 years from now, we would be talking about him the same way we talked about Manmohan Desai 10 years ago.

Returning to QSQT's legacy, Chintamani wrote in his book that the film's "freshness lay in the unique manner in which it dealt with the quintessential components of commercial Hindi cinema and, in fact, it is the film's steadfastness to the genre's classicality songs, dance, drama and even the archetypal 1980s theatricality of the prologue that makes the treatment stand apart.

Three decades later, he noted, one can still see how it "laid the foundation of a mindset that you could do something honest without compromising too much.

--Priyaa-- thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 7 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 19 Thumbnail + 3
I loved both Aamir and Juhi is QSQT and Aamir looked so handsome perfect chocolate boy.. songs were melodious and lovely classics..but ending was so sad and broke heart..so it's been 30 years since Aamir has been entertaining us with such huge variety of roles..great going
Edited by mere_pyaar - 6 years ago
pieryrose thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
i feel so old now.
Feeling so nostalgic.

A good movie, with one of the best pairs in BW movie. I just love Juhi-Aamir pair.

Love the songs. CLASSIC and so so melodious.

1.Aye mere, humsafar,
ik zara intezaar,
sun sadaayein, de rahi hain
manzli pyaar ki

2. Ghazab ka hai din,
Socho zara,
yeh deewanapan,
dheko zara,
tum ho akele
hum bhi akele
maza aa raha hai
Kasam se
3.papa kehte hain
bada naam karega
beta hamara
aisa karega
magar yeh toh
koi najaane
ki meri manzil
hai kahaan
papa kehte hain
bada naam karega,
beta hamara aisa kaam karega

Fairy_KimBokJoo thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I wasn't even born when this came out! I remember watching this so many times growing up! Beautiful music, Aamir's proper debut, Aamir/Juhi's cuteness, a newer sort of love story in contemporary Bollywood - I have so much nostalgia and affection associated with this film!
Dexterlove thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
My all time favorite movie.30 years makes me feel old.I have never seen a couple as perfect as Aamir and Juhi.They define chemistry.I wish they comeback together in a movie.
adigaag thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Top notch songs and movie. My first crush Aamir! One of my favorite couples. Ah the memories! Worth revisiting. Lovely post!
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
People say so many things about this movie but they don't mention this very often- Rashmi! The character! The actress! Juhi's character was my inspiration! She was not damsel in distress...she was a go getter...she chased the cute looking boy who did not want to date her haha...and she was quite forward...she confessed her interest in him first...she prodded him into confessing his feelings for her...after the hero's failure to elope with her...she & her friend hatched a plan to elope with him...and she picks him up from his house haha...in 1988 that was revolutionary for me! Yes, ladies...you can go get what the F you want! LOL! My life changed. LOL!

And Juhi was sooo good! When 25 years of QSQT was celebrated in 2013, Aamir had said that it was because of Juhi's character the movie worked. I agree with him. She really made it work! Her acting was good...all throughout...Aamir indeed was more patchy than her (Aamir said he thought she was better than him!)...she still is the better one...was watching I AM the other day...totally blown away by Juhi! Can't wait for her movie with Sonam next!
Edited by LifeOLicious - 6 years ago
YeojaNextDoor thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj80

FilmfareVerified account @filmfare
More

The quintessential game changer @aamir_khan completes 30 years in the film industry. Which movie of the actor did you enjoy the most? #30YearsOfAamir

All of them ⭐️
Happy 30 years in BW Aamir!!!⭐️🥳