Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I_LoveYou_Kanha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: Isis.

See, this is why I said that the makers jump-starting the plot didn't help us understand the characters at all. Let alone connect to them. Anyway, from what I have seen so far, Zoya isn't unrealistic at all. My cousin has never done cooking or cleaning in her marital home. She lived with her husband and had people to do that for her. It's only when she had a kid, she got involved in the process. There are actually plenty of women exactly like Zoya, who don't do much but shop their days away. The thing is, we do not need all the women to be "admirable" or inspirational ~girl power feminists of Television. Women like Zoya also exist. There are plenty of people who don't care about building careers and all, I don't think that makes them lesser than anyone. Not everyone wants the same things from life. Zoya, while a good person, has been brought up to be sheltered and pampered by the men in her life. Her father is overprotective and doesn't think anyone is good enough for her. He probably treated her like a child all her life. Her husband treated her like a fragile doll to be adored and put away. He didn't share any serious concerns with her, he didn't tell her anything personal, he also treated her like a child. Zoya has been infantilized by all the men in her family. It's actually really interesting that the only man who hasn't treated her like a fragile doll is, Aditya. This is why I am a bit surprised when people get so mad about Aditya being harsh to Zoya. That girl needed that jolt.

Anyway, Zoya loved her husband but she was more in love with the idea of love itself. Her fairy-tale home, her perfect husband, her ideal life away from the in laws. Since Yash' mother didn't want to hear from her, she didn't make an effort. She probably thought the wounds will heal in their own time. But they didn't and now it's too late. Zoya, is clearly a really flawed character. But I wouldn't call her unrealistic at all. If anything, she is the most realistic character of the show for me. However, the problem is, the makers need to speak more clearly of her obvious flaws as a wife. Sweeping that away to uplift her flaws as "mahaan" won't help the situation. She is a naive and childlike woman, pampered by the men around her. She hasn't got any relevant life-skills due to this. Her journey is to learn how life works and grow from there. If Zoya didn't need to grow as a person, what's the point of the story then? Yash's death isn't merely a mystery plot-point, it also triggers her growth as a person. She hadn't worked before, she is going to now. Clearly, there is a plan in motion.

PS: I don't think not knowing how to drive makes anyone unrealistic. Very few women in India are able to drive.

Zoya's character is very well explained by you👍🏼

Khushi.... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: SRKisLove

I still feel Zoya >>>>>>>> Aditya.

I dunno why we are so ready to overlook Aditya's faults but always criticize Zoya? Why don't we give a benefit of doubt to the female character but always defend the male character?

Aren't we as females being too harsh on our own gender? Weird!

I think Zoya is like a child. Her father took care of her. Then her husband took care of her. She loved Yash, but it was a childish, hero worship kind of love. That kind of love is not enough to sustain a good marriage. Because in a marriage both parties need to be equal.

Eventually, sooner or later, Yash would have lashed out at Zoya and told her to come out of her fairyland.

Also, everyone seems convinced that Yash and Pooja cheated. But I don't think so.

I think Yash and Pooja did not share their troubles with Aditya and Zoya because Aditya has a man-child like personality and Zoya is fangirl. They are not mature enough to support their spouses.

I still think there is a huge mystery involving the dads in Yash and Pooja's deaths.

And there is more to revealed about Zoya's character.

This isn't actually about male lead versus female lead. I didn't mention anywhere that I'm ready to defend the male lead.

And no I don't think I'm being too harsh on my own gender, I'm just pointing out the flaws in the characterisation of Zoya, if anything it's a critic of the writers.

I think the writers could've done a much better job. They have shown many layers to Aditya, yet Zoya is shown as very basic. Jennifer Winget can pull off more dynamic characters, and at the moment this role is very one dimensional.

Khushi.... thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tani91

^ I think that in the first week we did give Zoya the benefit of the doubt, her becharapan and the abla naari type mannerisms were due to her grief and naivety. But yesteday's episode when they revealed that she didn't even drive! Like how ridiculous is that. She's a woman in the 21st century and she's such a rich spoilt brat! She didn't even make an attempt to work? Or be independent. I find that total BS that a girl could be *that* dense. I found it very disappointing, so far Zoya is the most emotionally stable character, despite her grief she knows her limits and capabilities which is endearing. Her layers aren't revealed yet but this much helplessness and sheltered life is a bit ridiculous for me. I'm hoping that with Adi's taunts she fights back and transforms into a strong woman.

When they said Zoya was opposite of Maya then they went the literal opposite way and frankly Maya is a hundred times better than Zoya at the moment. Jennifer herself mentioned in one of the initial interviews that Zoya is annoyingly naieve.

Completely agree with what you've said.

I just don't understand what Zoya did in her life. She didn't work, didn't meet up with her family, doesn't seem to have friends, and half the time didn't even live with her husband. I feel like they made her too unrealistic, like she really is a princess or something and is taken care of by everyone else.

The writers could've shown her as a naive, innocent woman, but someone still independent, or at least someone who does some of her own work. But here it's like Zoya did nothing in her life.
Khushi.... thumbnail

Originally posted by: Isis.

See, this is why I said that the makers jump-starting the plot didn't help us understand the characters at all. Let alone connect to them. Anyway, from what I have seen so far, Zoya isn't unrealistic at all. My cousin has never done cooking or cleaning in her marital home. She lived with her husband and had people to do that for her. It's only when she had a kid, she got involved in the process. There are actually plenty of women exactly like Zoya, who don't do much but shop their days away. The thing is, we do not need all the women to be "admirable" or inspirational ~girl power feminists of Television. Women like Zoya also exist. There are plenty of people who don't care about building careers and all, I don't think that makes them lesser than anyone. Not everyone wants the same things from life. Zoya, while a good person, has been brought up to be sheltered and pampered by the men in her life. Her father is overprotective and doesn't think anyone is good enough for her. He probably treated her like a child all her life. Her husband treated her like a fragile doll to be adored and put away. He didn't share any serious concerns with her, he didn't tell her anything personal, he also treated her like a child. Zoya has been infantilized by all the men in her family. It's actually really interesting that the only man who hasn't treated her like a fragile doll is, Aditya. This is why I am a bit surprised when people get so mad about Aditya being harsh to Zoya. That girl needed that jolt.

Anyway, Zoya loved her husband but she was more in love with the idea of love itself. Her fairy-tale home, her perfect husband, her ideal life away from the in laws. Since Yash' mother didn't want to hear from her, she didn't make an effort. She probably thought the wounds will heal in their own time. But they didn't and now it's too late. Zoya, is clearly a really flawed character. But I wouldn't call her unrealistic at all. If anything, she is the most realistic character of the show for me. However, the problem is, the makers need to speak more clearly of her obvious flaws as a wife. Sweeping that away to uplift her flaws as "mahaan" won't help the situation. She is a naive and childlike woman, pampered by the men around her. She hasn't got any relevant life-skills due to this. Her journey is to learn how life works and grow from there. If Zoya didn't need to grow as a person, what's the point of the story then? Yash's death isn't merely a mystery plot-point, it also triggers her growth as a person. She hadn't worked before, she is going to now. Clearly, there is a plan in motion.

PS: I don't think not knowing how to drive makes anyone unrealistic. Very few women in India are able to drive.

Thanks for your reply.

I definitely don't think less of anyone who doesn't work or someone who doesn't want a career.

My main point was that all the aspects put together of Zoya make her seem unrealistic to me. She's a woman who doesn't even know basic things about her husband, and that seems strange to me. Surely she must've done some things in her life. So far all we've seen is that her life revolved around Yash, and she just stayed at home all day. It doesn't seem like Zoya even had a social life.

For me it still doesn't make sense that a woman would make no effort for the man she loves so intensely while he is alive, and then when he dies she makes all the effort in the world to make things right. Even a pampered, spoilt, naive woman would make some sort of effort, even to at least get to know the man they married.