Zoya - Unrealistic Characterisation

Khushi.... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
The character of Zoya is so unrealistic.

On the one hand we're meant to believe that Zoya went against her father's wishes to marry Yash, yet this same Zoya did very little for Yash and doesn't know basic things about him. Zoya also made absolutely no effort to fix things with Yash's family when Yash was alive, but now wants to fix things and wants to be a family. This same Zoya who was so in love with her husband didn't want to move to a big city to be with him, but now that he's died, she's adamant on staying in this big city?

So while Yash was alive she made no effort to get to know his likes and dislikes, but now Yash is dead, Zoya wants to move to the city to live in his house, she wants to learn how to cook the food he likes, she wants to learn about his business and run it, and she wants to live as a family with his family. I'm so confused by this. Now I don't expect a woman to learn and compromise everything for the man she loves, but everyone would make some effort, so why didn't she?

How are we meant to be believe she was so in love with Yash, when she didn't even act like it. After all, Zoya didn't even have a good relationship with her family, so why not live with her husband? What on earth did she do in a big house for 15 days all by herself, with no family around and seemingly no friends.

I just don't understand why they haven't given Zoya more of a personality or individuality.
Edited by Khushi.... - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Tani91 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I think Zoya is the one character that they haven't revealed anything yet (whether its deliberate or not idk) but yeah her characterization is weird and a lot of it can be explained to how sheltered and naive she is. Her character is not as "in your face" like Aditya's is at the moment. Hopefully they will take their time in developing her, but yes as of yet her characteristics are very superficial and not as in-depth as Aditya is.
But the fact that she's getting bullied by Mahi and Adi without standing up for herself is ridiculous
CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Yet she claims that Yash cannot cheat on her when she knows nothing about him. On what basis? Zoya-Yash look like roommates, not husband-wife. May be to know about her husband was not in priority list, still it sounds so bizarre that in their 5 years long married life she didn't even bother to ask which is your favorite dish?

She cannot even see true face of Mahi. It's just matter of common sense to recognise opportunist and fake Mahi.

And that butt hurt Aditya hooda comes up with new and unique ideas to bully her. Neither she can defend her husband, nor tell him loudly and clearly to get the F out of her way.
Edited by White..Magic - 6 years ago
bugsbunny12 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I agree...poor characterization of zoya!

She claims she knew her yash very well and knows he wont cheat and refuses to believe adi despite heavy evidence (holding hands, 100 customer photo, ppl gossip etc)

But the same zoya easily believes mahi when she says yash bhaiya liked til...and she's like did i really not know yash?
SRKisLove thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

I still feel Zoya >>>>>>>> Aditya.

I dunno why we are so ready to overlook Aditya's faults but always criticize Zoya? Why don't we give a benefit of doubt to the female character but always defend the male character?

Aren't we as females being too harsh on our own gender? Weird!

I think Zoya is like a child. Her father took care of her. Then her husband took care of her. She loved Yash, but it was a childish, hero worship kind of love. That kind of love is not enough to sustain a good marriage. Because in a marriage both parties need to be equal.

Eventually, sooner or later, Yash would have lashed out at Zoya and told her to come out of her fairyland.

Also, everyone seems convinced that Yash and Pooja cheated. But I don't think so.

I think Yash and Pooja did not share their troubles with Aditya and Zoya because Aditya has a man-child like personality and Zoya is fangirl. They are not mature enough to support their spouses.

I still think there is a huge mystery involving the dads in Yash and Pooja's deaths.

And there is more to revealed about Zoya's character.

Tani91 thumbnail
^ I think that in the first week we did give Zoya the benefit of the doubt, her becharapan and the abla naari type mannerisms were due to her grief and naivety. But yesteday's episode when they revealed that she didn't even drive! Like how ridiculous is that. She's a woman in the 21st century and she's such a rich spoilt brat! She didn't even make an attempt to work? Or be independent. I find that total BS that a girl could be *that* dense. I found it very disappointing, so far Zoya is the most emotionally stable character, despite her grief she knows her limits and capabilities which is endearing. Her layers aren't revealed yet but this much helplessness and sheltered life is a bit ridiculous for me. I'm hoping that with Adi's taunts she fights back and transforms into a strong woman.

When they said Zoya was opposite of Maya then they went the literal opposite way and frankly Maya is a hundred times better than Zoya at the moment. Jennifer herself mentioned in one of the initial interviews that Zoya is annoyingly naieve.
.vineeta. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
She had weak characterization to start with and they are making it worse to justify it..

SRKisLove thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

@Tani91 I think Zoya's character is pretty similar to what we call 'trophy wives' in Delhi.

They are brought up in a rich household, they study but only because they need educational qualifications, then they get married to whoever their parents decide. And then they lead the same lives with their husbands. Wear good clothes, order their servants about, go mall-hopping and travel around the world.

They have drivers to drive them around everywhere. So they never have to drive.

I think Zoya has also been characterized like that. Frankly there are many women like that in our country. Most girls from rich, traditional families are like that. So I find nothing out-of-ordinary here.

I am not a fan of Zoya, but I think her character will improve as the days go by. Anyways, I would still prefer Zoya than Aditya. Because Zoya at least has the courage to accept that she is pain, she is not trying to run away from the pain. Aditya on the other hand is taking out his pain and anger on everyone, which is okay in the first week, but now its getting too much. Other people have done nothing to deserve his nonsense.

P.S. I also don't know how to drive properly. I have travelled through buses and metro and autos my entire life. I don't think not knowing how to drive (or not having enough confidence to drive) is a thing to be ashamed of. Public transport keeps the environment clean and green. Say no to pollution. 😆

Edited by SRKisLove - 6 years ago
Rainy_Days thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Even Iam also don't know how to drive. Some of my friends are rich and middle class status, They completed pg course but they did not go to job, their days passed by go to shopping mall and surfing internet .
Tani91 thumbnail

Originally posted by: SRKisLove

@Tani91 I think Zoya's character is pretty similar to what we call 'trophy wives' in Delhi.

They are brought up in a rich household, they study but only because they need educational qualifications, then they get married to whoever their parents decide. And then they lead the same lives with their husbands. Wear good clothes, order their servants about, go mall-hopping and travel around the world.

They have drivers to drive them around everywhere. So they never have to drive.

I think Zoya has also been characterized like that. Frankly there are many women like that in our country. Most girls from rich, traditional families are like that. So I find nothing out-of-ordinary here.

I am not a fan of Zoya, but I think her character will improve as the days go by. Anyways, I would still prefer Zoya than Aditya. Because Zoya at least has the courage to accept that she is pain, she is not trying to run away from the pain. Aditya on the other hand is taking out his pain and anger on everyone, which is okay in the first week, but now its getting too much. Other people have done nothing to deserve his nonsense.

P.S. I also don't know how to drive properly. I have travelled through buses and metro and autos my entire life. I don't think not knowing how to drive (or not having enough confidence to drive) is a thing to be ashamed of. Public transport keeps the environment clean and green. Say no to pollution.😆

I agree, day by day Zoya is a trophy wife. I guess her crying and being helpless made it a bit annoying for me since she turned it to be like the other female leads of TV. For me when someone says trophy wife I think of someone who is snobby and Zoya isn't that, but I guess they should've paid more attention to her characterization in terms of that. Another character like Zoya is Suhana from Sasural Genda Phool, Albeit it was a completely different genre the similarities are there, she too was a spoilt rich brat who didn't know how to do anything, didn't even care for her husband, was very childlike and naieve but her mannerisms and characteristics and quirks were very aptly shown that the audience did sympathize with her and so did her in laws, that element is missing right now with Zoya, I know she just lost her husband and she's in shock/grief but still the writers need to show more depth to her, rather than the viewers dismissing her for her abla naari helplessness.

The only thing I like about Zoya is her courage, like I said she does know her limits and she's very self aware of her grief. She's more mature than Adi for sure since she's so calm and stable. With Adi, I find him much more endearing mainly due to the fact that he's just such a flawed, layered character and desi tv desperately needs that right now amongst the true MCPs and adaarsh beta types. Adi is neither and that makes him different, Zoya's love will change him and he will come out of that anger and grief from the betrayal caused by Pooja.

However I do agree that Zoya will improve! A girl who fought with her father to marry her husband, that girl definitely has some spunk, they need to show that side of her more. That's the scope for AdiYa's love story, both of them are so dense and delusional that they have to be grounded and come to terms with their grief and vulnerabilities and that's what I'm excited to see, these two effed up delusional beings being in love 😆

As for the driving thing - I live in America and over here if you don't drive then you're basically a sitting goose and completely helpless (especially if you don't live in a metropolis like NYC etc) so the driving thing is THAT ridiculous to me, over here in the US driving is the first skill you need to learn. But I do agree with you lol if Zoya is a trophy wife then she never would've learned how to drive. And yes I do have aunts in India who don't drive either due to them being housewives and all so I do understand that not everyone needs to learn how to drive in India 😊
Edited by Tani91 - 6 years ago