Abhi Naa Jao Chodkar, Ke Dil Abhi Bharaa Nahin...

Elizabeth Darcy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Do not go and leave me yet,
For my heart is not yet filled...

This song is the very first thing we hear when the story opens. It is in the singing of this song that Zoya is introduced to us, and it is in listening to this song that Aditya and Zoya first meet. This song is something they associate with their spouses (Zoya chides herself for not being able to remember the lyrics without Yash, Aditya recalls singing it with Pooja at the gift shop). But why this song, and what significance does it have in the story?

For that, I think we need to examine what the song is about, and who the song is connected to in Bepannaah.

Abhi Naa Jao... is a romantic ballad from the movie Hum Dono, starring Dev Anand and Sadhana. The premise is pretty simple: the lovers meet, the woman needs to return home, the man pleads with her not to leave, insisting that his heart needs more of her. She is worried that if he stops her now, they will never be able to let go, and he fears that if she leaves him now, whatever they have together will be left incomplete.

What does it tell us about the story, that ALL FOUR of our main characters connect so intensely to this song??

Don't Go

Abhi abhi to aayi ho
bahaar ban ke chaayi ho
Hawa zara mahek to le
nazar zara bahek to le
Yeh shaam dhal to le zara
yeh dil sambhal to le zara
main thodi der jee to loon
nashe ke ghoont pi to loon
abhi to kuch kaha nahi
abhi to kuch suna nahi

The bitter irony of this song is that we - the viewers - get to hear it at the very end of Aditya and Zoya's relationships with their spouses. We're shown through flashbacks and fond memories that Yash and Pooja sang this song along with them, we're told Zoya remembers the song only when Yash is around. But it never plays in their present day scenes with their spouses, never plays in the present when Yash/Zoya and Aditya/Pooja are together. So when do we see it actually played around two people in the timeline of the story? When Aditya and Zoya are together!

The first stanza, especially, is about what the woman represents to the male singer. She is the Spring, making all things new with her mere presence. She is the fragrant breeze, the reason his heart beats faster, the wine that intoxicates him, the elusive lover. The soap starts out using this song to signify how incomplete Aditya and Zoya feel without their spouses, and later uses it to bind the two together even before tragedy strikes.

Zoya and Aditya relate the song to happier times, to Yash and Pooja, to marriages that they have given themselves to - mind, heart, body and soul. The gramophone that both want so badly for their loved ones is what brings Zoya and Aditya together, and if you notice it is an item that comes in parts, parts that require fixing. Very much like their relationships that needed to be built from scratch in the beginning.

Both spend half of their time squabbling over their ownership of the gift, before Aditya finally snatches it and takes it for his own. However, what I find most striking is what happens after that - Aditya gets the gramophone, and is about to assemble it when the phone call arrives. In his shock, Aditya stands...forgetting the gramophone on his lap. It falls, broken before it ever had a hope of being put together.

It is clear from the first episode itself that both Aditya and Zoya seem to be more invested their relationships than the other partner - whether or not cheating has taken place. It is clear that they're holding on to two people who don't want to stay, whose words of love ring hollow, whose relationship with them is already broken beyond repair - just that the cracks are showing now.

Light

Sitaare jhilmila uthe
chirag jagmaga uthe
bas ab na mujhko tokna
na badhke raah rokna
Agar main ruk gayi abhi
to jaa na paungi kabhi

The second stanza is by the female singer, who wants to stay but feels compelled to leave. She points to the stars and the lights as an indication that the day is over, and it is night now - way past the time she is supposed to spend with him.

The way the song speaks of light is particularly interesting to me, because it reminds me so strongly of the church scene in this serial. Here, Aditya argues with God, insisting he has lost his ability to trust and believe in anything, and anyone. That he doesn't even expect anything from God anymore. That there is as much darkness in his world as there is light. Yet, immediately after, Zoya lights up the entire church, affirms her faith in God and disappears, leaving Aditya flooded in light.

When Aditya wakes up in the church, the first thing that comes to mind is Pooja opening the curtains to let the sun in. Interestingly, his story connects light to both women in the story - Pooja through sunlight, Zoya through the light of prayer candles. To me, this 'light' represents stages in Aditya's own life, and his ability to trust.

Pooja represents Aditya's childhood, the youthful daytime, letting sunlight peek in through the windows. He trusted her implicitly before her death, which is why all she needed to do for light was open the curtains, and he believed she was faithful to him even though she never truly let him in. Zoya, on the other hand, is bound by fate to Aditya in the darkest hour of his life, sheds light where none can be seen. Unlike Pooja, Zoya has to toil tirelessly to fill the whole church with light from the candles. Aditya may be the only person (besides her own family) to believe in her innocence, but it will take a while before he can fully trust her judgement.

Zoya isn't the only one who sheds light on a symbolic level. Aditya also sheds light on what is happening in front of her, insisting time and time again she stand up and face the truth. On the fact that her relationship wasn't as perfect as she made it out to be, that her in-laws weren't justified in disrespecting her. Cheated on or not, he alerts her to the fact that she's losing her self respect, and allowing everyone - her husband, her in-laws, a random married woman - to trample over her.

I feel like this song applies not only to Zoya and Aditya's relationship with their spouses, but will also apply to their relationship in the future, especially if eventually they are meant to part. Aditya and Zoya will not want to let go once they fall IN love with each other, but might possibly have to due to their circumstances. Already, on a subconscious level, they have accepted that fate has bound them together, and that the only person who can truly understand their pain is the cheating partner's spouse.

Adhura..

Adhoori aas chhod ke
adhuri pyaas chhod ke
jo roz yuhi jaaogi
to kis tarah nibhaaogi

Aditya and Zoya start out widowed, start out asking questions about relationships left incomplete. The last thing both of them ask of their partners is to stay (Aditya even quotes KKHH: "Tussi jaa rahe ho? Tussi naa jao")

Zoya and Aditya start out disliking each other, fighting each other over who is right and who is wrong, whose belief is greater and whose truth holds more weight.

It will take a while before they actually fall in love, and before they cam form a relationship of their own. Is it possible that their chance at a relationship will be taken away from them before they can confess their feelings? Will their own relationship be left incomplete? Will the words "abhi naa jao chodkar, ke dil abhi bharaa nahin" eventually apply to them, and their love?

I guess only time will tell.

In short, I think "Abhi Naa Jao..." starts out as a song that defines AdiYa's relationships with their loved ones, but it ends up applying more to their love story.
Edited by Elizabeth Darcy - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

https://youtu.be/9VlDX_U2PkI
For anyone who isn't familiar with the song...here's a link (I-F isn't letting me embed links properly)
vj3072 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Hi, even though i don't understand the song wording in Hindi..only few words but i loved the way you picture the whole scenario with a song.๐Ÿ‘
Dont know how Aditya & Zoya future going to be but for Zoya to fall in love again is something difficult.

PenguinBaby thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Lovely analysis! So meaningful and real! Now that you have done this, even I want to do something like this๐Ÿ˜† I'm not very good at analysis but still I try to improve myself๐Ÿ˜†
Hey SanayaEterna!! I'd love to see your analyses ๐Ÿ˜ƒ It hasn't even been a week and the soap is already rich in symbolism and hidden meanings. Do make a post!!

Hey vj3072! Here's a translation I found online that can help you understand the song (here is the link: )

MALE:
Abhi na jaao chhoD kar ki dil abhi bharanahii.N
Do not go and leave me now, for my heart is not yet filled

Abhi abhi to aayii ho abhi abhi to
You have only just come

Abhi abhi to aayi ho bahaar banke chhaaii ho
You have only just come, you became the Spring as you arrived

Hawaa zaraa mahak to le nazar zara bahakto le
Let the wind spread your fragrance,

let your gaze wander

Yeh shaam dhal to le zaraa
Let the night fall a little more

Yeh dil sambhal to le zaraa
Let my heart steady itself

Main thoDi der jii to luu.N nashe ke ghuunTpii to luu.N
Let me live a little longer,

let me taste a sip of your intoxication

Nashe ke ghunT pii to luu.N, abhi to kuch kahaa nahii.N
Let me taste a sip of your intoxication, for I have said nothing yet

Abhii to kuch sunaa nahii.N
You have heard nothing yet

Abhii na jaao chod kar ke dil abhi bhara nahii.N

FEMALE:
Sitaare.N jhil milaa uThe
The stars have begun to sparkle

Sitaare.N jhil milaa uThe, chiraagjagmagaa uThe
The stars have begun to sparkle, the lamps have been lit

Bas ab na mujhko Toknaa
Enough, do not scold me now

Bas ab na mujhko Toknaaa, na baDhke raah rokna
Enough, do not scold me now, do not come forward to block my path

Agar mai.N ruk gayii abhii to jaa na paauu.Ngii kabhii
If I stop now, I will never be able to leave

Yehii kahoge tum sadaa ke dil abhii nahii.N bharaa
For you will keep on saying that your heart is not yet filled

Jo khatm ho kisii jagah yeh aisaa silsilanahii.N
This is not the kind of affair that ends easily

MALE:
Abhii nahii.N abhii nahii.N!
Not yet, not yet!

FEMALE:
Nahii.N, nahii.N, nahii.N, nahii.N!
No, no, no, no!

MALE:
Abhi na jaao chod kar ke dil abhi bhara nahii.N

MALE:
Adhuurii aas
Unfulfilled desire

Adhuurii aas chhoDke, adhuurii pyaaschhoD ke
Leaving me with unfulfilled desire, leaving me with unfulfilled thirst

Jo roz yuu.N hii jaaogii to kis tarhaa nibhaaogii
If you go every day like this, then how will you keep your promise?

Ki zindagii kii raah mei.N jawaa.N dilo.N kii chaah mei.N
For in the path of life, in the desire of two young hearts

Kaii maqaam aaye.Nge jo humko aazmaae.Nge
Many challenges will come to test us

Buraa na maano baat kaa, yeh pyaar hai, gilaa nahii.N
Do not be hurt by my words, for they are words of love, not a complaint

FEMALE:
Haa.N, yehii kahoge tum sadaa ki dil abhii bharaa nahii.N!
Yes, but you will keep on saying that your heart is not yet filled!

MALE:
Haa.N, dil abhi bharaa nahii.N
Yes, my heart is not yet filled!

FEMALE:
Nahii.N, nahii.N, nahii.N, nahii.N!
No, no, no, no!

I feel that for both Zoya and Aditya the process of falling in love will take a while. Zoya still clings to Yash's memory, and Aditya has massive trust issues to tackle before he can imagine falling in love again. He may talk a big game about "teaching our cheating spouses a lesson" but deep inside I feel he will struggle with real, genuine love and trust. Zoya on the other hand will have trouble first separating her own identity from Yash, and then recognizing that she loves Aditya. I'm not sure who will fall first, but I do think both of them will struggle.

Edited by Elizabeth Darcy - 6 years ago
vj3072 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Thanks a lot, now i picture the show with the song

my heart is not yet filled - Male

There was no love in Aditya life it is just best childhood friend relationship...both family knows each other . He was in comfort zone bond

Enough, do not scold me now, do not come forward to block my path-Female

Very well suit for upcoming. Aditya will a big block for Zoya to find out the truth

If I stop now, I will never be able to leave- Female

Each time Aditya comes in her path she will slowly fall for him or hv a soft corner for him

This is not the kind of affair that ends easily-Female

In future if she falls in love again it is not an easy road for her

Ps: just my view with few lines from the song

Edited by vj3072 - 6 years ago

Originally posted by: vj3072

Thanks a lot, now i picture the show with the song

my heart is not yet filled - Male

There was no love in Aditya life it is just best childhood friend relationship...both family knows each other . He was in comfort zone bond

Enough, do not scold me now, do not come forward to block my path-Female

Very well suit for upcoming. Aditya will a big block for Zoya to find out the truth

If I stop now, I will never be able to leave- Female

Each time Aditya comes in her path she will slowly fall for him or hv a soft corner for him

This is not the kind of affair that ends easily-Female

In future if she falls in love again it is not an easy road for her

Ps: just my view with few lines from the song

Nice work on interpreting the song ๐Ÿ˜ƒ What I really like about both this song, and the title track is that the meaning applies both to Aditya and Zoya's relationships with Pooja and Yash, but at the same time you can envision the same songs becoming symbolic of their own relationships in the future. The songs are about Aditya/Pooja and Zoya/Yash now because Aditya and Zoya are so madly in love with them, but evetually when they do finally fall in love with each other I feel it will be limitless/unguarded (bepannaah) and neither will want to let the other go or feel happy with anyone else again (abhi na jao chodkar..). But for now these are just theories I'm coming up with based on whatever they're showing.
gemini54 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
First of all a standing ovation to a phenomenal post๐Ÿ‘.

These lines especially encapsulates the story that is yet to unfold

In short, I think "Abhi Naa Jao..." starts out as a song that defines AdiYa's relationships with their loved ones, but it ends up applying more to their love story.

Zoya and Aditya stricken with grief about the loss of their loved ones and Aditya also percieving betrayal in the mix, their paths cross again and again why? is it destiny at play giving them both second chances or leading them to each other the one true love only time will tell.

Again stupendous writing

Originally posted by: gemini54

First of all a standing ovation to a phenomenal post๐Ÿ‘.

These lines especially encapsulates the story that is yet to unfold

Zoya and Aditya stricken with grief about the loss of their loved ones and Aditya also percieving betrayal in the mix, their paths cross again and again why? is it destiny at play giving them both second chances or leading them to each other the one true love only time will tell.

Again stupendous writing

Thank you gemini54! This is what I really like about the way their story is shaping up so far ๐Ÿ˜Š I feel both of them can see each other the way no one else can: where everyone sees Aditya's anger and sarcasm, Zoya is able to identify the love hiding behind that (She says in the precap: "I'm not running, you are. Because even after everything has happened, you still love her limitlessly"). Aditya sees how problematic her blind belief in her husband, and her inability to speak up when she's being treated badly, and pushes her to speak up. It's only been a few days and already they've managed to understand each other better than their own families have understood them.