Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: aekiel

Didn't watch the episode, but just a couple of lines on this part.

Given the atmosphere that prevails in some parts of the country, I'd say her playing a Muslim character is important.

The more inter-faith marriages, the less the cause for distinction between "us" and "them" so as to speak, and that promotes more unity.

The traditionalists would say it perhaps destroys individual identities- I'd obviously be against any marriage that requires someone to give up their religion, but if the two co-exist (SRK-Gauri an example), it ought to be fine.

Yes, everyone has a right to a set of beliefs, but perhaps in the larger sense of societal progression as a whole, it would require those beliefs to be toned down to a level where assimilation is possible. Change is inevitable in a progressive society, and those who don't adapt essentially get left behind.

Of course, her playing a Muslim character will also attract audiences in Pakistan, MENA and even places as far as Indonesia and maybe even Turkey.

Originally posted by: anshvi

I don't think that writers need to give a reason for Zoya being a Muslim...I mean in several other shows makers show leads being Bengali, Christian, Marwari etc. and there generally isn't a reason behind that..They set the show in a particular area and explore the culture..Like I watched Breathe and there Madhvan's character was a Christian who lived in Mumbai and there wasn't any reason for it...He was a father who wanted to save his son's life and he happened to be a Christian...It's good when makers explore different cultures and casts and normalize different religions and people co existing...Also makers may raise this inter faith marriage issue between Zoya and Adi later on or they may not...I personally don't think that we need a reason for the character to be of certain faith or cast...It's quite normal i guess.I liked the normality of it 😊

As far as that line is concerned I felt what Zoya's dad meant was that he is not someone who will judge a person's character or capability on the basis of his religion...I think it was not about acceptance or approval of interfaith marriage but about judging a person's character and capability on the basis of religion or caste.
At least this is what i thought when I saw the scene

Well, I'd beg to differ on that. Cultural assimilation through interfaith marriages isn't the only way we have to cause the least minimum distinction between different existing communities. We can very well practice and believe in what we do and still co-exist peacefully. That said so because a practice such as that might not be an ideal candidate to become the new 'norm' otherwise it'd bring upon imaginably grave issues and ultimately all faiths would cease to exist. It is and of course can remain what is essentially is, just a person choice or a decision. In the best interest of a progressive society, what we need is acceptance, equality wherein it can achieved, dignity and respect shown to all and humanity and peace.

Bollywood is like a world within the world itself. I'd personally not count in or cite examples from there because as much as they're humans too, their general functioning of life is far, far different from the aam janta log. What rules apply to us doesn't quite apply to them and vice versa. Also, SRK-Gauri are sure a successful example of an interfaith marriage in the eyes of the world but do we really know what their own world is like? Point being, all that glitters is not gold. At least not necessarily or always.

As for the reason for Zoya being a Muslim wasn't to question the fact that there exists a Muslim character in the show. It was to ask how or why is it necessary from a story or narrative point of view. It was to ask or understand the significance of having included such an element to the story when it easily could have done without it as well. As Eloquent suggested, they might play this particular angle out in the coming phases of the show in which case, I probably raised this question a bit too early for the forum audiences here to get my point. My bad, I guess then.

This is just entirely my opinion, you're all entitled to have your own. Thanks for giving it a read, you two. 😃
Cat. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I think the reason Zoya's character is Muslim is to delineate that Zoya's father is not accepting of Yash and its not because of religion. There is something going on so strong here for his dislike and its not religion which is where one's mind would go atleast initially. I have friends who have married out of faith and who have had disapproving fathers based on religion and money but after a couple of years of marriage, they grudgingly accept to love their sons-in-laws and daughters-in-law. Zoya's father is vehemently opposed to Yash after so many years of marriage, so it makes you curious what is the cause of this vehemence, if its not religion, which for most people to be honest would be the primary factor. I think its done to prick the viewers' curiosity.
VandyP thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
hi
lovely post

i agree to each and every point made out by you except the interfaith part

i feel both the makers and channel are trying to break some stereotypes here...
a time where we find most channels and makers shying away from this kind of concept... i feel its a really bold step by the channel and makers...

the fact that no fuss was created on their faith...is a refreshing thing to watch on screen...
its a new thing...being experimented... how many interfaith shows have we seen ?
i can't recount any... movies definitely some... but shows... none...
its a smart move by the writers to incorporate this coz this kind of broad outlook will appeal to the youth..
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Excellent review of the episode by you, Husna! 👍🏼
aekiel thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: .annihilation.

[Well, I'd beg to differ on that. Cultural assimilation through interfaith marriages isn't the only way we have to cause the least minimum distinction between different existing communities. We can very well practice and believe in what we do and still co-exist peacefully. That said so because a practice such as that might not be an ideal candidate to become the new 'norm' otherwise it'd bring upon imaginably grave issues and ultimately all faiths would cease to exist. It is and of course can remain what is essentially is, just a person choice or a decision. In the best interest of a progressive society, what we need is acceptance, equality wherein it can achieved, dignity and respect shown to all and humanity and peace.

Bollywood is like a world within the world itself. I'd personally not count in or cite examples from there because as much as they're humans too, their general functioning of life is far, far different from the aam janta log. What rules apply to us doesn't quite apply to them and vice versa. Also, SRK-Gauri are sure a successful example of an interfaith marriage in the eyes of the world but do we really know what their own world is like? Point being, all that glitters is not gold. At least not necessarily or always.

@Bold, it isn't the only way, but it does speed up the process. Again I'm thinking of it from the society as a whole, not just for a certain section of it.

The more you have in common, the less you'd think of the other faith as "different", especially when there might be a history of past clashes. When communities grow large enough in numbers that they may feel start to feel antagonistic to each other over differences, the "common" items keep it going. Faith and assimilation is mostly a two way street.

A potential example could be the Salwar Kameez as a dress. It originally was something restricted to Punjab, but is today worn in every part of the country, and has become so common and "assimilated" that when you see a woman of a different faith wearing it, no one wouldn't feel she's different- she's just someone like us.

@Bold2, they wouldn't, so long as both parties have the freedom to practice their respective religions.

I quoted SRK-Gauri because I remember reading somewhere that she has full freedom to practice at home (temple et al) with no restrictions whatsoever. An example whether neither party had to convert, and both remained as they were before marriage, and even celebrated the cultural aspects of the other's religion after it- that's as good an example as there can be, the way it should be.

annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: aekiel

@Bold, it isn't the only way, but it does speed up the process. Again I'm thinking of it from the society as a whole, not just for a certain section of it.

The more you have in common, the less you'd think of the other faith as "different", especially when there might be a history of past clashes. When communities grow large enough in numbers that they may feel start to feel antagonistic to each other over differences, the "common" items keep it going. Faith and assimilation is mostly a two way street.

A potential example could be the Salwar Kameez as a dress. It originally was something restricted to Punjab, but is today worn in every part of the country, and has become so common and "assimilated" that when you see a woman of a different faith wearing it, no one wouldn't feel she's different- she's just someone like us.

@Bold2, they wouldn't, so long as both parties have the freedom to practice their respective religions.

I quoted SRK-Gauri because I remember reading somewhere that she has full freedom to practice at home (temple et al) with no restrictions whatsoever. An example whether neither party had to convert, and both remained as they were before marriage, and even celebrated the cultural aspects of the other's religion after it- that's as good an example as there can be, the way it should be.

An attire is a mere piece of cloth that can't possibly pitched against an issue both as serious and sensitive as interfaith marriage. Also, technically speaking, once a couple enters such an area, they'd have automatically violated some of the most crucial laid out boundaries or rules of their respective religions in which case the right to whether or they're allowed to or are able to still continue to practice their respective beliefs doesn't quite hold any water. But then since I believe that none of us have the right or the power to decide what may eventually be acceptable to God and the job of judging should be left alone to him, I'd say I'm nobody to say what way it should be or what way is the right way to be in matters as highly subjective & convoluted as these. Anyhoo, I think our views in this regards are diametrically opposite to each other, so I'd conclude this from my side. :)
SRKisLove thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Excellent post, and I love how you put forward things.⭐️

Honestly, I was waiting for someone to point out somethings that you did in your post

1. The aesthetics are a bit too grandiose, in a way, they seem to overwhelm the characters. Its good that Harshad and Jen are strong performers with a good screen presence, and that the story is gripping and interesting. Otherwise Padmavat hona jaana tha yahaan.

2. Yes!! The supporting cast, by that I mean the dead spouses, are really meh. I dunno whether its the characterization or the actors themselves, but something is so bland about them.

I won't comment much on the rest of things, because the first three epis are really gripping and I feel there is much left to be explored. I think the writers are going to rely on flashbacks a lot to tell much of the story.

To add some of my own nonsense observations, I like that none of the characters here are perfect.

To be honest, Aditya is slightly immature, too rigid in his version of truth, seeing the world as black and white, and facing daddy issues, which contributes to his judgmental attitude (this sounds very familiar)

And Zoya is slightly obsessed with her husband (I'm talking of the first epi, before he died), like her whole life revolves around him. (again sounds familiar)

As of now, I don't like either Aditya and Zoya (though I love JenShad). Aditya is annoying me a bit, and Zoya hasn't shown the spark of personality that I will root for her.

The characters themselves are not stan worthy.

But the acting is stellar. JenShad are A ++++++++++++ 👏

So, I'm waiting to see how the episodes unfold. I'm sure JW picks her projects carefully, so the story is going to be interesting.

The characters aren't new, but the writing and storyline is fresh, which makes me hopeful, that its going to be interesting. 😊

anshvi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Husna
As i said i don't think makers need a specific reason to show Zoya as a Muslim just like in any other show makers don't need a reason to specify why they have taken a Christian or a Bengali or a South Indian character...As I said I like the normalcy of it

Also as i already pointed out Adi's family might have a problem with it or they might not...Let's see.

As far inter faith marriages are concerned to each his own...I guess it depends on the people involved..If they are compatible, if they can co-exist while practicing their own faith and if they are happy with each other then there's nothing wrong in it...Like u said at the end of the day it is about peace, love and harmony.

Like in yesterday's episode Zoya went and prayed in the church...In church scene the emphasis was on how Zoya will bring light in Adi's life...How Zoya sees a light in dark times while Adi was looking only at the darkness...the emphasis was on human emotions here rather than a Muslim girl praying in a church...So, i guess makers are just trying to normalize the whole thing...i guess here the emphasis is more on the human emotions rather than the issue of inter faith marriage or religion.

Edited by anshvi - 6 years ago
V4o9 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Okay! I am going to address the interfaith relationship first!

Religion really does not matter but for the show sake, I have points -

1st point - It could be very much possible that Yash cheated because he is under too much pressure due to negativity from mom/sister as they seem to mislike Zoya just for her religion! She seems too sweet for them to have an issue with any other way! It is easy to elope and get married as it is thrilling and fun! But when the dust settles that's when reality checks in. For all you know, he could be feeling the estrangement from his own family as a burden. Add to that, her father is not very welcoming. And even though this seems petty and small, such things add to psychological issues and you end up accusing your partner for a miserable life even though it was your choice in the first place! Hence, the religious angle to show they mnight have fought against odds to get married!

2nd point - Aditya is also of a different faith. That means we would really know if Zoya's father was lying when he said he had no issues with religion. Or maybe he was telling the truth. He really does not like Yash as he thinks Yash is unworthy and has no issues with his faith. This time he could prove that religion is not the problem, but the guy she chooses is, as Aditya will be worthy of her. What say?

But honestly, I do not think that is what the show is aiming for inter-religion/faith wedding issues and neither are we!

As a side note, shame on his mom/sis for having such thoughts in this age. Their boy's happiness is not what is important to them. It is not about just religion. Some parents have a problem if their child makes a choice of his own and hence the whole acceptance thing. Somehow, they feel they would have done a better job picking their child's partner! So yes, that is chotti soch!! I do not know how else to see that?

Addressing other parts:
- The lead pair is spot on! I am glad experienced actors have been roped in for such intense roles. Newcomers would have have been an embarrassment to watch like that fake plane.
- If my pilot spoke to me that happily/over coolly and casually like Aditya did, I would be praying for the flight to be over!
- Supporting cast namely Pooja and Yash do not have much to do in terms of acting. They just seemed...meh. But when they are portraying roles next to powerhouses that Jen and HC are, I hope they do not have any strong performances coming up as that would not be a nice scene to watch. I don't have faith in their abilities to carry something intense!

Edited- GEEZ! I am tired of correcting my spelling mistakes! Please bear with it. I cant correct no more!
Edited by V4o9 - 6 years ago
naq5 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: V4o9

Okay! I am going to address the interfaith relationship first!

Religion really does not matter but for the show sake, I have points -

1st point - It could be very much possible that Yash cheated because he is under too much pressure due to negativity from mom/sister as they seem to mislike Zoya just for her religion! She seems too sweet for them to have an issue with any other way! It is easy to elope and get married as it is thrilling and fun! But when the dust settles that's when reality checks in. For all you know, he could be feeling the estrangement from his own family as a burden. Add to that, her father is not very welcoming. And even though this seems petty and small, such things add to psychological issues and you end up accusing your partner for a miserable life even though it was your choice in the first place! Hence, the religious angle to show they mnight have fought against odds to get married!

2nd point - Aditya is also of a different faith. That means we would really know if Zoya's father was lying when he said he had no issues with religion. Or maybe he was telling the truth. He really does not like Yash as he thinks Yash is unworthy and has no issues with his faith. This time he could prove that religion is not the problem, but the guy she chooses is, as Aditya will be worthy of her. What say?

But honestly, I do not think that is what the show is aiming for inter-religion/faith wedding issues and neither are we!

As a side note, shame on his mom/sis for having such thoughts in this age. Their boy's happiness is not what is important to them. It is not about just religion. Some parents have a problem if their child makes a choice of his own and hence the whole acceptance thing. Somehow, they feel they would have done a better job picking their child's partner! So yes, that is chotti soch!! I do not know how else to see that?

Addressing other parts:
- The lead pair is spot on! I am glad experienced actors have been roped in for such intense roles. Newcomers would have have been an embarrassment to watch like that fake plane.
- If my pilot spoke to me that happily/over coolly and casually like Aditya did, I would be praying for the flight to be over!
- Supporting cast namely Pooja and Yash do not have much to do in terms of acting. They just seemed...meh. But when they are portraying roles next to powerhouses that Jen and HC are, I hope they do not have any strong performances coming up as that would not be a nice scene to watch. I don't have faith in their abilities to carry something intense!

Edited- GEEZ! I am tired of correcting my spelling mistakes! Please bear with it. I cant correct no more!

totally agree with you on this. if people cannot get beyond caste creed religion language for the happiness of their own children. if they place these things above their relationships. if they are destroying once beautifully formed relationships because of religion then i too believe it is choti soch & more than choti it is a destroying soch. i have nothing to defend for such people seen them very close up. Some are even such that will not bother while making friends, not bother while helping anyone, not bother while taking help. not even bother while making anyone brother sister. but when it comes to their child marriage they need from same caste creed & religion, they wont even bother that their children are getting distant from them & their religion both .
We still need to see if yash's mother n sis hate zoya for her religion or because she kept yash in mussorie away from them