Is Feminism Sona Mohapatra's Personal Project?

ImagineMe thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 years ago

Sona Mohapatra Accuses Kangana Ranaut Of Doing Disservice To Feminism. Is Feminism Sona Mohapatra's Personal Project?

Sanjukta Basu

Dear Sona Mohapatra,

Who made you the spokesperson of feminism? If you are not the spokesperson then what business do you have in questioning a woman's decision about what she wants to say, where she wants to say, and at what time of her life she wants to say it? Whether before or after a movie or whether for PR of the movie or whatever. Only reason you can possibly have any locus standi in the feud between Hrithik Roshan and Kangana Ranaut, is if you are a stake holder. So are you a stake holder? In the capacity of what? Of being Hrithik's friend? Is that why you are trying to defend him by dismissing Kangana's feelings as PR strategy?

Or are you a stake holder because you think you somehow own feminism?' As if feminism is your personal project and you will decide which action is a service and which is a disservice. What makes you think you can decide for other feminists? I am a feminist and I think Kangana deserves applause, applause and more applause for whatever she is saying in whichever interview or press. Are you going to tell me you understand feminism better than me? Or any of us here? I find your very action of labeling a women's life narrative as washing dirty linen in public as Himalayan disservice to feminism. What do you have to say about that?

There are two ways of knowing what feminism is:

(1) From our own life experiences, from popular culture and conversations around us.

(2) By actually going to a college and studying Women And Gender Studies.

I don't know about you, you are a singer. But I did that study thing, I did my Masters in Gender Studies. The 8th paper in our course is titled Gender And Life Narrative. Attached herein are excerpts from the Introduction from the first chapter of our study material, which explains how through history, women have always been discouraged from writing their autobiography and presenting any self portraiture. Women have been told to not talk about their lives, their pain, their hurt, not to do drama, not to bring attention to themselves, basically remain invisible. If at all women are allowed to talk, they are allowed to talk about positive things, like about their achievements but not their pain. Sharing life narrative means talking about live realities, inner feelings and thoughts and this goes against the gender norms of chastity, silence, self effacement, sacrifice, endurance, that women are supposed to follow.

Do you know Dear Ms. Mohapatra, what were women told when they tried breaking these gender norms? They were told, "Do not wash dirty linen in public. You see what you have done there? You made this exact regressive retort to Kangana Ranaut.

Women's attempt to self expression and bring their private lives in public have been abhorred so much that Bengal's first published autobiography writer, Rashsundari Debi packaged her desire to read and write with religious overtones, as she said she had a dream about reading Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's biography. Following that, she learnt to read and write and wrote her own biography, "Amar Jiban (My Life).

Women's life narrative, self expression and self representation have been one of the most important means of feminism. By talking about their lives women have been able to break the public and private divide that  pushes them back to kitchens and keeps sotries of viollcen behind closed doors. Yet, Brave women like Kamala Das, Amrita Pritam, Maharanhi Gayatri Devi have written boldly about their lives laying the foundations of feminist consciousnesses in India, and trust me dear Mohapatra, not all of those writings would be considered very clean linens by hygienic readers such as you.

With time, the forms and medium of women's self expression and self portraiture have changed. What our ancestors did via letters, memoris and books is now being done by social media, TV media, interviews, blogs. Kangana's self expression, done for whatever intentions, are a major step in feminist politics, a bold attempt, particularly coming from a Bollywood actress.

Now, do you realize Sona Mohapatra, how stupid you sound when you accuse Kangana of doing disservice to feminism, and in the same letter you judge her for sharing too much of her life?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IPSO_FACTO thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
There is a difference between talking about your life/struggles /pain in public and slandering openly without even an iota of proof.
And, who says that one who has studied gender studies can claim to know what Feminsim is? This very statement clarifies that this article has been written in spite.
If sona doesn't own Feminsim and neither does this writer just because she has studied it as a subject.
Auch double standards.
Cause it's well documented Kangana uses woman card only when her hand is caught in cookie jar. But no one wants her cookies. She has no cookies only cooties 😆 😆
DobbyDeol thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
No. It's kangana and rangoli's family project..😆
Kangu's karma will hit her back soon.. Now instead of men, women are attacking her idiocy and retard behavior in public. 
Last day it was WC and today ts Sona, the cherry on the cake was the desparate tweets of kangu's spineless sister to shut up Sona which has backfired.

Now what will kangu do ? Send her nudes to sona's hubby darling and cry about being abused again ?
ImagineMe thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Hai Hai Mirchi, Uff uff Mirchi!

Go Kangana Go ðŸ¥³    
flowers123 thumbnail
so true.really dont understand what problem that sona is having if kangana is telling her side of story.what sona wants kangana to keep quiet and keep hrithiks paid pr to spread news about her being witch and does black magic.whats wrong if kangana wants to speak .
IPSO_FACTO thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Mene bhi moral science padi hai, so only i have the right of moral policing. :D
maal_u_have thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Xx..Anjali..xX

There is a difference between talking about your life/struggles /pain in public and slandering openly without even an iota of proof.
And, who says that one who has studied gender studies can claim to know what Feminsim is? This very statement clarifies that this article has been written in spite.
If sona doesn't own Feminsim and neither does this writer just because she has studied it as a subject.
Auch double standards.

The writer didn't claim she owns feminism though. Sona claimed Kangana was doing feminism a disservice and the writer pointed out that feminism can be practised in different forms - just because Sona didn't agree with Kangana's actions, doesn't mean Sona can speak up for the entire movement. There are other feminists who do support Kangana so making a blanket statement like "doing feminism a disservice" isn't correct in this context. 
.KISS-my-ASS. thumbnail
The writer shoukd've tagged rangoli too who the feck is she to declare mohapatra is a blackspot on womanhood thekedaar of womanhood ??? 😕
If kangana milks everything for popularity then ms.mohapatra is no different she trolled sonakshi even after the controversy died down...tab kya hogaya tha sona ji #HYPOCRITE
Kangana is a smart cookie muh khole bina bhibsurkhiya bator li 😆