Posted: 6 years ago

A test of character

S. Ravi
JULY 04, 2017 00:00 IST
UPDATED: JULY 04, 2017 03:48 IST
    SHARE ARTICLE
  • PRINT
  • AAA

Beyond the usualTigamanshu Dhulia was drawn to INA trials as it had never been explored before on celluloidspecial arrangement  

Tigamanshu Dhulia's Raag Desh' captures an important chapter of Indian history

The unprecedented can happen. As it did recently when the easer of Tigamanshu Dhulia directed Raag Desh was launched at the Parliament House in a crowded media conference. Even though this has never happened since Independence this time it was special because the film is about those bravehearts for whom their life had no meaning when it came getting India free from British rule.

Produced by Rajya Sabha TV which makes its debut in filmmaking, the storyline deals with the landmark trials held at the Red Fort of Lt. Colonel Prem Kumar Sahgal, Lt. Colonel Gurbaksh Singh Dhillon and Major General Shah Nawaz Khan of the Indian National Army (INA) for waging war against the British Crown. The armed struggle of INA and its iconic leader Netaji, forms the backdrop of the film.

Well known for movies like Saheb Biwi Aur Gangester and Paan Singh Tomar,which won him the National Award, Tigmanshu exuded confidence about his latest film.

"It indeed will remain memorable and special to me since it is not a typical Bollywood project. I was offered a choice of two subjects by Gurdeep Singh Sappal of RSTV. One was Sardar Patel and other the INA trials. I chose the latter as we already have a film on Patel starring Paresh Rawal while the INA trials had never been explored before on celluloid, and it has not been written and spoken about much as well.

With books, plays and films on historical subjects coming under sharp scrutiny and censorship, did the subject ever deter Tigmanshu? "When the INA trials took place the entire country was in deep turmoil but despite this all the political parties then, such as Congress, Muslim League, Hindu Mahasabha and Akalis, irrespective of their ideology, came together in support of the INA. That way I am very safe, he quips. Having said that he adds, "Yes, there are subtle things which my film deals with like the true of ideology of Netaji, etc, but let us see who likes or who doesn't.

Extensive research

Tigmanshu did extensive research on the subject for nearly two years which yielded him plenty to show on the screen.

"The details were informative, historical and also dramatic, making it ideal material for a film. As hard facts which could not be tampered with, the only challenge was to put it all in a cinematic format to ensure that people find it entertaining and engaging. Going by the teaser, he does not seem to have failed at all on that account. The costumes, the sets, the locations and details like vintage cars and weapons used in the film give it an authentic touch.

"Fortunately, all this was available to provide the perfect background. The only other essential element which was needed was the right attitude and dignity to essay the three main characters which I found in Kunal Kapoor, Amit Sadh and Mohit Marwah. The three worked hard.

Kunal plays Shah Nawaz Khan with Amit and Mohit enacting Dhillon and Sahgal. Expressing their gratitude to Tigmanshu for guiding and getting the best out of them, they exuded satisfaction doing the film.

Admitting candidly that they did not know much about the INA and its activities, the three said, besides the background material provided by Tigmanshu they read books and talked to people connected with the INA and these personalities.

"I was so enamoured with the role that I immediately said yes. To give a realistic touch, I met Khan's grandson and have attempted to speak in correct Rawalpindi accent, the place to which he belonged, said Kunal.

Loving history

Providing a light touch, Mohit observed, "History was never my favourite subject in school but this film has changed that. Now I want to know about the past especially the freedom movement. Amit said, "I felt a sense of responsibility playing Dhillon as he is someone people look up to.

The song "Kadam Kadam Badhaye Jaa which was regimental quick march of the INA written by Pandit Vanshidhar Shukla and composed by Ram Singh Thakuri has two versions in the film.

"One is in a melodic tune and the other, a sadder version has been used during the battle scenes when soldiers are shown fighting and dying, reveals Tigmanshu.

"As the title of the film Raag Desh signifies the song of the nation, there is also a song based on Desh raga, he added.

There are subtle things which my film deals with like the true of ideology of Netaji, etc, but let us see who likes or who doesn'tTigamanshu Dhulia

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/a-test-of-character/article19207360.ece