Abhay Deol slams fairness creams ads,takes on fellow actors... - Page 9

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MadOwhat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: ~*sindhu*~

NDTV is solving the problem. Educating the society who is the root cause of the problem. Thats the whole point of the campaign.To condemn the prejudices of our society that promote fairness . The fairness products or advertisements is a effect to the cause, not really the cause. They cater to the demand of the society.If the society demanded of something else they would have gone with it. They would even start selling tanning beds if we start asking for one.

Although I do agree if someone has a problem with the advertisements rather than naming and shaming them that lasts for a week at most they can always file a PIL to question the relevance and effectiveness of such products.Cause thats the only problem with such products, they promote false claims misleading the people. Some people do but I don't know how do they end up and such products and their false claims still find their way to consumers. Also I have a problem with stars promoting things irresponsibly knowing very well how well they can influence the consumers and their buying choices.

Well said ...I agree the root cause is fault lines in our society/culture ...which needs to be corrected...something on the lines of Beti bachao, Beti Padao type of campaign on this issue might help...but I guess the govt has bigger headaches vis a vis fairness complex.

If follow the NDTV campaign ...you will realize the agenda is to place the channel as a messiah of social reformation ...rather than solving the issue...they delve into many discussion ...with no solutions ...just chewing on it for over 2 years ...just awareness...no action plan.

As for the product efficacy ...there is no ambiguity ...the clinical studies are testimony to the claim...else they won't be able to print them on the packs...no discrepancies there.

If a tan lotion isn't a issue even a fairness cream shouldn't be...let the consumer make a choice on what skin tone he/she desires

The core issue is with the communication ...i.e calling fairness superior ...which is obnoxious...someone has to file legal suites to ban such ads...this is the lowest hanging fruit to tackle the issue...most such PIL are filed by responsible individuals and not institutions like NDTV.
FabAahana thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Luna46

Why people are blaming the actors? One of the reasons these actors became successful and are liked by the audience is coz of their fair skin. Can a black guy with great acting skills, good looks, charm, screen presence and charishma ever become a Superstar in Bollywood??? This notion existed since ages that white skin is superior than black skin. I'm myself having a dusky skin tone and I was ridiculed a lot of times in schools and colleges coz of that. Even my own family members have pointed this to me so many times. Even I got insecure of my skin and started using fairness products but nothing worked on me and eventually I stopped. In India, it's a sin to have a black skin and this will not change if some celebrities will stop endorsing fairness products. They are just doing their job.

People have accepted Ajay Devgan, Sunil Shetty, Nawazuddin, Bipasha, Priyanka, Deepika, Rani Mukherjee, Kajol. They all have dark skin tone. Just like people won't accept a Caucasian white guy as a bollywood actor, I doubt they'll accept black guy. So your argument is invalid.

@bold Then why do these brands sign celebrities to endorse their product? Coz they influence the consumers, making them think if that product is doing good for him/her, it would do the same to them.
Celebrities are culprits in endorsing the myth that fair is better. It's immoral and they should stop it. Instead they should use their influence in spreading the message that all skin tones all beautiful.
If Amitabh Bachchan can make us polio free and teach sanitation. I am sure these celebrities can make a difference too.
MadOwhat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: CutiePie111

I believe speaking about the problem and creating awareness is a good start. Filing PIL is also part of the same as it will create conversations. What in your opinion could be more concrete steps someone like Abhay or any celebrity can do?

Get a lawyer and file a PIL on the ad...then tweet asking for action on the PIL...that would be credible and action oriented ...Ajay isn't the first to speak on this issue ...and may not be the last .

The PIL doesn't cost much...but needs commitment...the issue is the court might send you summons ...which is a headache none of these guys want...so tweeting is a easier way out...and nothing changes.
CutiePie111 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: MadOwhat

Get a lawyer and file a PIL on the ad...then tweet asking for action on the PIL...that would be credible and action oriented ...Ajay isn't the first to speak on this issue ...and may not be the last .

The PIL doesn't cost much...but needs commitment...the issue is the court might send you summons ...which is a headache none of these guys want...so tweeting is a easier way out...and nothing changes.

I am not very knowledgeable but havent there been PILs on the same issue in the past. Has it resulted in anything? The problem with PILs is it may take time as well as the headache as you said. But naming and shaming celebrities will prove to be a bigger deterrent is what I think. With the PIL the brand would be impacted and that too years after the advertisement was aired.
1098676 thumbnail

Originally posted by: FabAahana

People have accepted Ajay Devgan, Sunil Shetty, Nawazuddin, Bipasha, Priyanka, Deepika, Rani Mukherjee, Kajol. They all have dark skin tone. Just like people won't accept a Caucasian white guy as a bollywood actor, I doubt they'll accept black guy. So your argument is invalid.

@bold Then why do these brands sign celebrities to endorse their product? Coz they influence the consumers, making them think if that product is doing good for him/her, it would do the same to them.
Celebrities are culprits in endorsing the myth that fair is better. It's immoral and they should stop it. Instead they should use their influence in spreading the message that all skin tones all beautiful.
If Amitabh Bachchan can make us polio free and teach sanitation. I am sure these celebrities can make a difference too.

I was talking about a complete black guy. The actors you mentioned have a dark skin tone but they are not completely black. And except Ajay, non of the other actors are actually superstars. But we have a white girl Katrina, who's wooden face when it comes to acting.
Yes, it's true that celebrities can influence people to some extent. But this notion of fair being better is too old and it can't be changed so easily. Big B also did a movie like Pink?? Did it changed anything? The ads of fairness creams only show the mentality of the majority of people in India. Yes, it's immoral to promote that fair is better but the production company should be blamed and not the actors. These same actors also do movies which promote stalking, eve teasing, murder, harassment and many other crimes. We can't really blame them for these things when the fault lies in audience and consumers. Actors are not supposed to do charity. Those actors who try to bring social awareness, hats off to them!! but those who don't do it can't be blamed.
MadOwhat thumbnail

I am not very knowledgeable but havent there been PILs on the same issue in the past. Has it resulted in anything? The problem with PILs is it may take time as well as the headache as you said. But naming and shaming celebrities will prove to be a bigger deterrent is what I think. With the PIL the brand would be impacted and that too years after the advertisement was aired.

You can get an ad off air in 2 -4 weeks after PIL or a legal case...and if one can do that in that time span...it will cause a big financial dent to the organization promoting the product , since making an ad is expensive...this will be the biggest deterrent to repeat offence.

However above approach needs commitment to the cause ...when 2 competitors are fighting legally over ad claims...they mange to get the ad off air in less than 4 weeks.
shalini1323 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
Guys, Okay I personally hate fairness creams. 🀒

BUT, isn't this guy going a bit overboard with all his posts etc? I agree that celebrities have immense influence, following and of course, responsible endorsing is very critical esp in a country like India where we've fans who blindly follow their favourite actors/actresses. However shaming these celebs - does it really help? (Apart from of course, all media channels buzzing with this piece of news since morning!!)

Also if his posts were in response to what happened in Noida recently, then o.m.g - he totally trivialized the act of violence and merely spinned it into a colour debate. While I get it that colour difference does constitute racial discrimination but I mean, there could''ve been soo many other constructive ways to put things across... than to dig up ads that are already out! Like some of you said, if you feel so strongly about it, please file a FIR.

Also, I want to open it up for debate - If someone prefers fair skin, light eyes & hair, does that make him/her racist? What if it is just a preference? Of course for years, we have the "white is superior" ingrained in our minds, but what if for some people, it's just a matter of preference? Should we feel guilty for having our own understanding of what beauty is. And the issue which happened in Noida is way more deeper than ideas of "beauty".

It's their choice to endorse the products and it's my choice if i want to buy it or not. There's a difference between choice and prejudice.

Edit - P.S. Please don't get me wrong... I am NOT trying to endorse these products or say that it's a good thing celebs are endorsing it. I am just trying to understand why Abhay is lashing out against the symptoms and not attacking the problem.

Edited by shalini1323 - 7 years ago
CineFanLuver thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Chameli_billi

Because she lives in an ivory tower protected and coddled by her sycophants. I am just glad celebs like her live in the age of twitter where each of their petty remarks gets trashed in epic proportions and for good reason. πŸ˜† They need a dose of reality check every now and then.

πŸ˜’πŸ€”
As one of Sonam Kapoors fans who follow her on twitter, i take offense to this. I know, it is a thing to mock people for liking particular actors, but can we just make our points without going to such levels.
r.a.v thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pehchaan.Kaun

SO right !! Appalling to see seniors like Amitabh and SRK fall so low to promote such thing.

haha... both especially amitabh have done much lower stuff.
Nothing is above most celebrities
MadOwhat thumbnail

Originally posted by: shalini1323

πŸ˜•πŸ˜•

GUys.. I mean, I don't know. I personally hate fairness creams. But isn't Abhay going a little too overboard with this? I mean a sudden outburst... I find it weird. Plus all his posts contain nothing substantial - they are full of sarcasm. I get it that actors have the power to influence people and shaming their so-called "irresponsible" endorsements might not do anything apart from all media channels covering it etc.

If this is in response to what happened in Noida, he seems to be trivializing the act of violation and racism and turning it into a whole colour debate. I get it that Skin colour does constitute racial discrimination BUT there are better ways to make a point..

I don't know - he might get a lot of applauds for "shaming" top celebs but if he really feels strongly about this, he should file a FIR.

Lastly - open debate! If I prefer fair skin, dark eyes, light hair, slim body... does that make me racist? What if it's just a choice?

In a nutshell

If you prefer fair skin because you like it or cos you feel it goes with your personality...it's a choice

If you prefer fair skin twith the intent to assert your superiority over lesser fair skinned folks ...it would be direct racism.

If you prefer fair skin with the belief that it will boost your self esteem or self confidence...it would be surrogate racism.