Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bokul thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago

Did you know this Shah Rukh Khan starrer was the first Bollywood film to hit Rs 1 crore figure as its opening day back in 1995

There was a time when even a Rs 1 crore opening day was a dream for every filmmaker...

By Gaurang Chauhan | Updated: April 13, 2017 6:49 pm
4.7kSHARES
  • Facebook share
  • Twitter share
  • Share on Google+

comments
Did you know this Shah Rukh Khan starrer was the first Bollywood film to hit Rs 1 crore figure as its opening day back in 1995
  • Shah Rukh Khan and Aanand L Rai meet up to discuss their upcoming film
  • Shah Rukh Khan, Sonakshi Sinha, Jacqueline Fernandez light up Karan Johar's party
  • Shah Rukh Khan and AbRam Khan twinning with tattoos is the best thing you will see today
  • Here's why Shah Rukh Khan is the undisputed king of selfies - check out pics

Nowadays a Rs 30 crore plus opening for a film starring Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan or Aamir Khan is nothing new. But there was a time when even a Rs 1 crore opening day was a dream for every filmmaker. And it finally happened with a Shah Rukh Khan-starrer that released in 1995 and NO it wasn't Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge or Karan Arjun. Both the movies were blockbusters but were unable to fetch a crore on the day of opening. Unexpectedly the film was Shah Rukh Khan, Anil Kapoor and Jackie Shroff-starrer dud, Trimurti. Well this may sound surprising for you now but at that time the film had generated a huge buzz.

The film was a Christmas release, having released on December 22, 1995. This, at that time, was one of the biggest casting coup of sorts. Jackie Shroff, Anil Kapoor and Shah Rukh Khan, playing brothers in a movie, backed by showman, Subhash Ghai, directed by Mukul Anand (a veteran of Agneepath, Hum and Khuda Gawah), a creepy villain, chartbuster tracks, the film had it all - except good execution perhaps! The film was the first in Indian Cinema to mark a Rs 1 crore opening day and after a record breaking weekend, the film hit a downward spiral. The final verdict of the film was that it was a flop. Also read: Can you recognise Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan's popular dialogues through these posters?

Trimurti-3

Trimurti-1 Trimurti-2

The film was also awaited because Shah Rukh Khan's Diwali release, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, was still running in theaters. According to BoxOfficeIndia.com, the actual opening day figures of the film were Rs 1,06,00,000 (Rs 1.06 crore), with weekends going for a huge Rs 3,07,00,000 (Rs 3.07 crore). Even after the film's record breaking opening, it ended its lifetime run with just Rs 8,57,50,000 (Rs 8.57 crore). Whereas Shah Rukh Khan's other release of the year, DDLJ, which opened to almost of half of Trimurti's opening day, at Rs 55,00,000 (Rs 55 lakh), earned a huge Rs 53,31,25,000 (Rs 53.31 crore) by the end of its run.

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

Originally posted by: -DZ-

Last thing I want is Dwarf clash with padmavati

I don't think srk will do that mistake again.

I too would love to see srk in a kabir khan movie but I don't want salman doing even a cameo in the film. It should be out n out srk film
bokul thumbnail
Shah Rukh KhanVerified account @iamsrk
More

Frisco such a nice night. Saw the trams & miss Kolkata & KKR weave their magic. Will join soon.Boys u were awesome!

bokul thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Subha.

I don't think srk will do that mistake again.

I too would love to see srk in a kabir khan movie but I don't want salman doing even a cameo in the film. It should be out n out srk film

I agree..hopefully he will avoid clashes now
Kabir SRK combo will be superb
bokul thumbnail
Brett RatnerVerified account @BrettRatner
More

Can't wait to be on stage tonight with the #King @iamsrk at the @sffilm

bokul thumbnail
Shah Rukh KhanVerified account @iamsrk
More

Join in and watch me at the SFFilmFestival live on Twitter!

bokul thumbnail
Emily ShahVerified account @RealEmShah
More

Celebrating #MyNameIsKhan at #SFFilmFestival @iamsrk @BrettRatner psbhp @ San Francisco, California https://www.instagram.com/p/BS47_QRFy0o/

bokul thumbnail
Brett RatnerVerified account @BrettRatner
More

With the #KingofBollywood @iamsrk getting ready for our conversation @SFIFF #festival!... https://www.instagram.com/p/BS4vZrqjnQo/

bokul thumbnail

Edited by -DZ- - 7 years ago