Flashback Friday: When an inebriated Salman Khan slapped Subhash Ghai

CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Flashback Friday: When an inebriated Salman Khan slapped Subhash Ghai

In this week's flashback Friday we take a look back at the time when an inebriated Salman Khan slapped Subhash Ghai, only to apologize later.

Written By Bhavna Agarwal Mumbai Published: March 10, 2017 11:47 am 11957 reads 1 comments

Salman Khan and filmmaker Subhash Ghai's tale of friendship is no less than a Bollywood movie. From fighting to peeing on each other to finally reconciling and doing a film together, the story has all the elements.

Before Salman and Subhash reunited for Ghai's directorial movie Yuvvraaj which also starred Bhai's rumored girlfriend Katrina Kaif, back in 2001, the duo got into a terrible fight with Salman ending up slapping the filmmaker.

In an interview to a leading daily on Sept 18, 2002, Salman while answering to allegations of him hitting his then girlfriend Aishwarya Rai Bachchan had said, "No. I have never beaten her. Anyone can beat me up. Any fighter here on the sets can thrash me. That is why people are not scared of me. I do get emotional. Then I hurt myself. I have banged my head against the wall; I have hurt myself all over. I cannot hurt anyone else. I have only hit Subhash Ghai. Yet, I apologized to him the next day."

He further added, "There are times when you do get out of control. That person hit me with a spoon, almost broke a plate on my face, pissed on my shoes and grabbed me by the neck. I could not control myself. And see what happened. Next day, I had to go and apologize."

In a write up much later, Ghai recounted how depressing it was for him post that fight but he lost his patience after many attempts by Salman to pick up a fight. "It was very embarrassing for me that night and I came back home completely depressed. Next morning I got a call from Salim sahib who paid his respect to me by apologizing and sent Salman to my home within one hour. Salman came and stood in front of me like a guilty child. I smiled and asked him, What happened to you last night ?' and he said, I have come here because my father told me to do so.' I said, So you are not sorry?' and he replied, Of course I am.' That's how we broke the ice," said the Yuvvraaj director.

The duo since then has been highly supportive of each other. Salman stood rock solid behind Ghai when the latter was experiencing a lul in his career. Ghai has always expressed his desire to work with the superstar after they collaborated for the first time in Yuvvraaj. However, it is yet to be known if the two are in talks for anything.