Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Abinaya_24 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: sashashyam

Thank you, my dear Abinaya.

I did not like it. It looks very standard issue to me, like something out a video game.

I do not understand either how the battle can be resumed so soon. And as for her calling him Chandragupta, who knows why? I doubt if it is because the truth about his parentage has been revealed. Chanakya called him Chandragupta twice before - I think it was during that mountain top scene with the kid Chandra - for so reason at all.

Shyamala Aunty

You r most welcome aunty😳
May be they r rushing towards Chandra and nandhini's marriage as the story is abt their complicated relationship
Just now saw the pic of Helena's marriage so we expect anything so soon
Edited by abiariel - 7 years ago
mishtidoi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Hello Aunty...I loved your post.
I'm loving Chandra, sans soulmates implications...infact I'm dreading the inevitable pairing😲😲😲

The episode was good, the battle was shot better, given past Balaji's records...but the whole feel was getting destroyed by the royal ladies in balconies, as though the battle was happening in their courtyard and they were truly having front row balcony view of the proceedings.

As for the story, for me CVs are bolting to pair up the leads and then they'll snail walk. 😡
Alexander's depiction was pathetic (Sorry Dude).
Between Chanakya and Chandragupt, they planned the finest spy network, history could boast in India, in preparation for Magadha battle.

As far as I know, it was Dhana Nanda who was the king and defeated by CG...the timeline is RIP'ed . Why'o why?😡
Why are the CVs hell bent on depicting Padma Nanda as a loving father to his daughter...I'm finding quite difficult to hate him...disliking him is also not easy Where are the atrocities and cruel deeds and his evil nature????? Just Mura, is not enough🥱
mishtidoi thumbnail

Originally posted by: abiariel

You r most welcome aunty😳
May be they r rushing towards Chandra and nandhini's marriage as the story is abt their complicated relationship
Just now saw the pic of Helena's marriage so we expect anything so soon

Helena is already married to CG???😲

Wasn't she married to King CG as a peace settlement from Selecues after he tried to battle with Mauryan kingdom?
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Well, Mishti, I am not precisely pleased with you. I sent you 10 PMs, none of which you responded to or even opened, and now, when I had cut you off my PMs list, you turn up casually with a hello Aunty! Not done. And your saying now that you loved my post does not compensate for the above.

OK, one thing that I would like to be made clear for my future threads, presuming that you intend to visit them. I do not want any rona dhona or complaints about the show being ahistorical. If it is not Dhananand but Padmanand, I do not care. We are not doing an academic thesis on Chandragupta Maurya here, we just want a reasonably fast moving and entertaining story!

Next, to the extent possible, no eternal comparisons with Jodha Akbar. I want some positivity , and not relentless carping. Especially not repeated laments about how the show is bound to go down the drain soon. It very well might, but I do not want my threads full of Cassandras from now itself.

If they are showing Nand as a doting father, that is their privilege, and I for one am perfectly OK with it. Arpit is in new territory here, and he does very well, for all that it saccharine. As for the rest, there is always one's imagination re: his atrocities on his subjects. One does not need to have daily shows of dozens being whipped in front of the Pataliputra palace!

As for the battle, it was shot VERY well, not just as compared to Balaji's past record. What do you think this is, Ben Hur or Mughal-e-Azam, with hordes of extras? Count your blessings, young lady, that you did not end up with 4 soldiers as in CAS as the end.

Well, having got all that off my chest, if you mean to be a regular presence on my threads, you are very welcome!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: mishtidoi

Hello Aunty...I loved your post.

I'm loving Chandra, sans soulmates implications...infact I'm dreading the inevitable pairing😲😲😲

The episode was good, the battle was shot better, given past Balaji's records...but the whole feel was getting destroyed by the royal ladies in balconies, as though the battle was happening in their courtyard and they were truly having front row balcony view of the proceedings.

As for the story, for me CVs are bolting to pair up the leads and then they'll snail walk. 😡
Alexander's depiction was pathetic (Sorry Dude).
Between Chanakya and Chandragupt, they planned the finest spy network, history could boast in India, in preparation for Magadha battle.

As far as I know, it was Dhana Nanda who was the king and defeated by CG...the timeline is RIP'ed . Why'o why?😡
Why are the CVs hell bent on depicting Padma Nanda as a loving father to his daughter...I'm finding quite difficult to hate him...disliking him is also not easy Where are the atrocities and cruel deeds and his evil nature????? Just Mura, is not enough🥱

Edited by sashashyam - 7 years ago
mishtidoi thumbnail

Well, Mishti, I am not precisely pleased with you. I sent you 10 PMs, none of which you responded to or even opened, and now, when I had cut you off my PMs list, you turn up casually with a hello Aunty! Not done. And your saying now that you loved my post does not compensate for the above.

Well I'm sorry Aunty, if I offended you, it was completely unintentional. I've today only, not just logged in but came on IF platform after many many many months. But I'm not sorry to have loved your post.😊

OK, one thing that I would like to be made clear for my future threads, presuming that you intend to visit them. I do not want any rona dhona or complaints about the show being ahistorical. If it is not Dhananand but Padmanand, I do not care. We are not doing an academic thesis on Chandragupta Maurya here, we just want a reasonably fast moving and entertaining story!

Next, to the extent possible, no eternal comparisons with Jodha Akbar. I want some positivity , and not relentless carping. Especially not repeated laments about how the show is bound to go down the drain soon. It very well might, but I do not want my threads full of Cassandras from now itself.

If they are showing Nand as a doting father, that is their privilege, and I for one am perfectly OK with it. Arpit is in new territory here, and he does very well, for all that it saccharine. As for the rest, there is always one's imagination re: his atrocities on his subjects. One does not need to have daily shows of dozens being whipped in front of the Pataliputra palace!

I see your POV here, I didn't mean to spread negativity here...was still trying to be even with onscreen situation.
The actor playing Padmanand is good, I agree BUT given his character, which is to best grey shaded not evil, why then other Rajas will join Chanakya and CG in their mission to topple Nanda empire, certainly not just to avenge Chanakya.

As for the battle, it was shot VERY well, not just as compared to Balaji's past record. What do you think this is, Ben Hur or Mughal-e-Azam, with hordes of extras? Count your blessings, young lady, that you did not end up with 4 soldiers as in CAS as the end.

I agree that the battle itself was very well choreographed , my only complaint was the intermittent balcony scenes of royal ladies, even Chandra seemed to have noticed Nandini's facial reactions.

Well, having got all that off my chest, if you mean to be a regular presence on my threads, you are very welcome!
I'll try to be here Aunty, Thank you.

Shyamala Aunty

Word Count: 1

Khushi_love thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Yes, my pet, this is perceptive and plausible - my burnt toast take was more of a joke! - but only for Mura, for there is one serious problem with it.

No one can equate the horrendous sufferings Nand has inflicted on Mura, even remotely, with what he has done to Sunanda. It is a non-starter. In fact, what has he done to Sunanda? In those days, his having taken a second wife would hardly be seen as a wrong done to the first one.

Aunty, agreed...we can't equate the horrendous sufferings of Mura with those of Sunanda...but this is not just a case of Nand taking a second wife...it's about having had an illicit affair with Avantika while he was married to Sunanda...n having had nine sons with her...it's about Nand having deserted Sunanda to live with Avantika, for Sunanda obviously does not LIVE in the palace...she only occasionally visits it to taunt Nand...
Her demand to have the biggest room in the palace while she's at the palace says a lot about their equation...it's like a parent giving lavish gifts to their kids when they are unable to give them quality time...

Nor does there seem to be anything at all wrong with her. She is very well dressed,if not like royalty, and sashays in and out of the palace and Nand's room at will. So she clearly has the entree there, and it is not the first time she has landed up there either.

Exactly my point...Sunanda only sashays in & out of the palace...she does NOT live there!...her world has been torn apart with Nand having moved on in his life...n living at the palace...

Given this, the way in which he puts up with her snide remarks and her arrogance is tough to understand. Maybe one has to fall back on the burnt toast explanation after all! For those in the dark about this one, here it is.

There was once a travelling salesman, who asked the waitress at the cafe where he was having breakfast to burn the toast, char the porridge, and then sit down and nag him, because he was feeling homesick. 😆

I've heard this joke before, Aunty...😆...though it's really funny, I dont find it applicable in Nand & Sunanda's case...AT ALL...
I stand by my theory that nand's sub conscious mind perceives Mura n Sunanda as the voices of his conscience...n Avantika as his accomplice...hence, he has no respect for Avantika, although she was the ladder on which he climbed to his success...😃...but, he meekly listens to all the insults that Mura & Sunanda have to heap on him...

& I guess it's perfectly fine Aunty, that we could , perhaps, for once, agree to disagree 😆...You'll still remain my soul aunt 😉

Shyamala Aunty

Edited by ---Khushi--- - 7 years ago
shailusri1983 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Hi Mishti, I am Shailaja. I will try answering some points you have raised. Hope they satisfy you!

1. Is Nand evil or grey?

He is purely evil except for the fact that he is a good father to Nandini. He was a Naapit(barber) to begin with. He has an illegitimate liaison with his own queen, Rani Avantika, and fathers her nine sons while she is still the wife of the King of Magadh, Shishunaag.

He murders his own king, throws the blame for this on Suryagupt, who is Shishnaag's friend, Moora's husband, and Chandra's father. He beheads him too before a pregnant Moora and imprisons her. He marries Avantika, stages a military coup and captures power.

He silences those who oppose him either by murdering them or imprisoning them. He exhorbitantly taxes his citizens for very small things like his daughter's birthday when he asks his citizens to contribute their hard earned gold for her Tuladaan.

He rules on the basis of fear and cows down opposition against him. He leads a very dissolute life at the expense of his Praja. He does not respect the learned like Chanakya. He insults them. He is least bothered about his Praja or their safety and security concerns.

He will even sell his own motherland or country to the Greeks if that will benefit him. All he bothers about are money and power. He will use any means to secure them. He is like a leech or mosquito which will keep on sucking and getting fat from the sweat and blood of his own people. If all this is not evilness, I don't know what else is!

2. Why are the kings or others supporting Chanakya?

They have joined hands with each other to drive away foreign powers from Indian soil in the first place. So it is patriotism and love for the motherland which brings this diverse group together.

Nand was not very popular as a king. As a matter of fact, he was terribly unpopular and hated by his citizens. What kept him in power was the fear tactics he employed and his powerful military. The Nanda dynasty was reputed to be one of the foremost military powers of that age even according to history. So the kings who supported Nand were doing it because they feared him, or because they were equally bad and dissolute like Nand and were only bothered about power and not about their country or the welfare of their Praja.

But it also means there must have been several people, groups, and kings who must have hated Nand as well. One, even according to history several kings hated him for his humble origin as a Naapit(barber), his lack of patriotism, his fear tactics.

Two, there was mutiny brewing all over the country because of his dissolute rule. There was no law and order. The weak were exploited terribly by the powerful. Taxes were indiscriminately imposed. Praja welfare was thrown to the winds. Chanakya succeeded in amalgamating all these people under a single umbrella. This entire group was patriotic. They loved their motherland. They hated the Greeks whom they wanted to drive from Indian soil. Once that automatically happened, they wanted to get rid of the pests plaguing Indian society at that time, and the foremost on that hit list was Nand.

Edited by shailusri1983 - 7 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Dear Mishti,

Padmanand's love for his daughter and his evil nature in all other ways are two separate things. They do not affect each other, nor should they affect the viewer's or Chandragupta's attitude towards this tyrant.

The worst of Hitler's SS officers and men, who used to bayonet Jewish babies for fun, were also almost invariably excellent and very affectionate family men. How did that change anything as far as later perceptions of their horrible crimes were concerned?

Chanakya and Chandragupta are Padmanand's enemies for purely political reasons at this point of time, not personal. The personal hatred for him will come when Chandragupta learns about his parents and what Padmanand did to them. And it will spill over into his attitude towards Nandini.

Shyamala Aunty

shailusri1983 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Khushi I think Sunanda should have been thanking her stars, Nand and Avantika, for taking such a horrible husband off her hands. The very fact that she returns courting his attention shows that she is also neither as plain, simple, wronged or the neglected wife that she portrays herself to be. The very fact that Nand fears her ought to tell you what sort of dangerous woman she is.

Who was she even to begin with? A Naapit's wife! Would she even have a proper house of her own before Nand became the king by marrying Avantika that she has the temerity to demand the largest room in the palace. You think Nand would have neglected her? I think not! He would have kept her in some other palace wallowing in luxury and also visiting her and paying her all the attention she wants.

But even all this is not enough for this lady. She drops in as and when she pleases. Pokes her nose in the affairs between Nand and Avantika, taunts Nand to no end, adopts a condescending attitude towards her Sautan (whom she should have been thanking for rescuing her from poverty and allowing her to wallow in luxury), decides the life and prospects of her step daughter, Nandini who is of no concern to her.

Where do you find her wronged? Polygamy? Women those days were attuned to this. They never bothered as long as their husbands did not desert them and their family and financially supported them. They just ignored their Sautans and the other family. There were many cases where all the Sautans were supposed to live in the same house very amicably tolerating each other.

At least Nand here is not imposing that on this lady by keeping her suitably and luxuriously maintained elsewhere. It is this lady who drops in seeking attention. She is ambitious, an attention seeker, expects the very best for her, she blames her Sautan and husband for everything, gets things done her way in an underhand manner, pokes her nose into everything, is a gossip monger of the worst sort, treats her co-wife like the dirt beneath her feet...in what way is she a bechaari deserted wife?

I really would not be surprised if she is the one who had been egging Nand to trap Avantika so that she could lead a rich, comfortable and luxurious life. She might have been the one to force Nand to acquire money and power through any means. You think this lady would have been happy and contented being the wife of a poor or simple Naapit? I think not!

Edited by shailusri1983 - 7 years ago
amina1 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Who knows if it was sunanda s plan in all of this,to me this nand is a bit airhead,to persue the queen and i was reading up on nandas dynasty,he had the affection of the queen but he couldnt even afford a meal,but what i dont understan nine sons how did they get away with it either the kind must asleep or he must have been high on alcohol or drugs and how all the sons accepted him as theire father non had problem they knew all along,phew