Why does Maiyya not want to go with Ram?

iloveramandsita thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
I barely understand bits and pieces of Hindi :8 (Tamilian here) Forgive me if this was mentioned in today's epi!

I know that in Valmiki Ramayan, Ram would not accept his sons without proving Sita's purity - she went back to Dharti Maa as a way of giving their sons their adhikaar and to relinquish this world.

I thought that was what they were building up to in SKR, but it seems that they're completely not addressing that point - Ram has accepted Luv/Kush, but Sita has said her farewells and will be leaving.

I think she mentioned that it was for her self-respect? For a woman's respect by society not to go back to the society that SO easily discarded her?

Thanks in advance!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

john909 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I agree. The serial has distorted the reason behind sita's oath of going back into earth. SKR sita refuses to go back because she does not want to go back to ayodhya where her character was stained by the questions regarding her purity. Before sita's marriage, there was a conversation between ram and sita abt woman's respect and dignity. To me it makes sense that this sita would not go back to the same society who disrespected her. According to sita, people turned a blind eye to the fact that she was a victim and they chose to blame the victim for what happened instead of blaming ravan and there are lot of common women in genreal who are abandoned and punished like her and those women don't even know what their crime was coz everyone refuses to even listen to her side of story or her pain. So if she goes back right now to ayodhya, it would be an insult and injustice to those women.
From my pov, she is a queen and she is self-assured and has lot of self-respect. So her making this decision has nothing to do with punishing anyone or hating anyone.she is a woman and people hurt her self-respect and pointed at her character. Today thsee people are asking her to come back but if she has to live with the possibility that it could happen again. Also she wanted to show society a mirror and also show how much they disrepect women and not consider her equal

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Sita banishment was a question for me from childhood and I just couldn't accept the fact that Ram who is Narayan himself will do something that will show bias to a woman. Ram asking Sita to do AP and Ram asking her to prove her purity was simply not acceptable for me because Narayan wont do that. He simply wont. One of the best things SKR did for me was through the eyes of Siya they showed Ram and made me realize why Ram did what he did and what was his intention. By doing Sita banishment openly, Ram gave Sita a chance to reject the society and its culture that disrespects woman. And he established the new maryada from hence forth in his kingdom a woman will have the right to tell her side of story. That is why he is called maryada purushottam and Ram rajya is hailed. Through personal pain of his and his queen's sufferings he made it possible for the next generation of woman to have a better life.
And it is inline with what I understand of Narayan. His way of giving justice and Ram being the 7th avatar of Narayan can only do that. Not what patriatichial society has twisted his actions to suit their way.
If you want to understand this in details you can visit the symbolism thread where each episode is detailed out.