Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

JNam thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
So I did what I have never done before. As I didn't have a social media account, I sent the Hum TV folks a rather rambling note of appreciation, with a link to this thread. Below is my email reproduced in its entirety. It had a bit of this thread copied and pasted, and my own bit of it edited for clarity. I hope that is ok with everyone:

Hello,
I am writing to congratulate your team on having mounted a very engaging production, Kuch Na Kaho. The following is a link to a thread that was created by a few enthusiasts of this show, and has many comments appreciating the episodes, and more importantly, analyzing them and mining them for sub-text. I think your writers might really enjoy this detailed feedback.

Here is a bit of my recent feedback on that post. I hope it is taken in the spirit in which it is intended (to motivate your writers, performers, directors, casting agents, etc.). I apologize if any of it is unclear or if I missed something vital in the story; I come from a different set of sub-cultures than yours, which could lead to an error in my understanding, etc.:

"

Good writing, good acting. That's all it takes. In KnK, we got spoiled because we got phenomenal writing and just the very, very best cast we could've hoped for (EmNa + Shazia Naz as Sajjal and Mirza Zain as Faraz, and even Asad Zaman Khan and Hira Hussain do so much justice to the characters of Imran and Annie). Then we got super spoiled with production teams giving us beautiful rain scenes and editors that knew how to make even the precaps a huge topic of conversation.

I love this drama. Even if the next few episodes are not what I expected, I will always love the first 28 episodes as some of the best episodes from a drama I've ever seen. This may be one of my top shows of all time, including British/American/Australian shows.

Yes, good writing (which takes time and effort; writers need patrons to spot and foster their talents), good execution, and good casting (again, I think this takes time and the knack for spotting right talent for the right role). I mean I cannot imagine someone else in Mohsin or Aina's role. Change either, and the magic is lost because all the visual appeal is lost. Emmad Irfani and Navin Waqar look like they belong together, and as an audience, I cannot overstate the importance of such bang-on casting in a romantic show such as KNK. Part of the reason why a show like Humsafar had such appeal to me was the fact that Mahira and Fawad looked the parts to a T, and more importantly, they had that stirring romantic dynamic with each other because of which I wanted to see them together on camera, and was invested in their romantic fate as a couple. Similarly, in this show, Emmad and Navin look like they are a couple, and as an audience member, I want them to stay that way and fight against all the odds that the story throws at them, and stay bonded to each other. I think it is easy for ambitious actors to fall into the trap of thinking that their real test is in being able to do any role opposite any performer. I think this idea is fundamentally flawed because actors are limited by their physicality. You can add or drop a few pounds but you can change your fundamental physicality. This is why if you want to cast for a 25-year old's part, you cannot go to, say, an aging Robert De Niro no matter how brilliant he is. Similarly, I strongly feel that you cannot make a compelling romantic dynamic with any actor. This sort of magic just happens with a few performers, and I hope casting agents bear this in mind, and try to re-cast Navin and Emmad as a romantic pair in other, equally better written story lines.

Also, I cannot emphasize the importance of using money and resources to nurture writing talent (and acting and other talent), but especially writing because writers are historically underpaid and under appreciated, and it is ultimately their writing that can create memorable or forgettable characters. And good writing takes time, and effort, and cannot possibly be done by being forced to work under impractical time and financial constraints. I hope the people funding these shows realize that. In all, I think money is needed but instead of being spent on expensive actors (so-called stars), directors or expensive sets or advertisements, should be spent on spotting the right talent (writing, direction, acting), nurturing that talent (like not holding writers to a clock, and forcing them to live a paycheck by paycheck), and giving them opportunity to grow, and even, in my opinion, do pilot runs and workshops before green lighting a show, sort of how they do in Hollywood. SO, all this will need someone with money to spend on these resources, but it can be achieved as people like Dibaker Banerjee or Vishal Bharadwaj do in Indian movies. They run a very tight ship but nurture talent they spot and have vetted. As a result, even their most mediocre efforts are worth a discerning audience's time, and their films almost always break even, even when not generating profits for the production houses. I think Pakistani tv producers need to adopt this model, and really give writers the time and freedom to do something creative. I mean you could have a beautiful adaptation of King Lear that was also watchable and accessible to the average audience. The one thing about recent dramas here is that they are very cliched in their stories, and often in their execution as well. KNK soars about the mundane because even in the basically cliched plot, the execution, dialogue, and characterization are very unique, and in-depth. You feel for them, and you want to hear them speak. The characters really have a very vibrant interior life, unlike other many other dramas on TV. And pakistani producers, writers etc need to stop thinking of TV as an inferior medium. I mean I have lost track of how many times actors or writers of talent will score their one big hit, and move to making little watched, middling films. I mean films are great, but they are a fundamentally different medium, with far too short a time in which to tell a story. It feels like a talented novel writer, on attaining success, forcing himself to only write short-stories. One could make the switch, but is there really a need? I see both forms of story telling as valid and with their own pluses. Films are more expensive to mount making it harder to tell more experimental stories, and you really need to have the financial and technical wiizardy of say, Dibaker, to really be at home in that medium. It is a whole different ball game is all I'm saying :-). Sorry for the rant, but yes, KNK soars esp because it started off on familiar territory (romantic tragedy) and avoided falling into the trap of cliches. "

Lastly, I'd also like to give a shout-out to the other members of the team including actors like Zain Baig, Shazia, Asad Ahmed Khan and the rest. Good job, guys!
Cheers,
Anonymous Enthusiast Of Your Show

PS-I would drop dead if Mohsin bhai didn't go easy on Aina, and the two didn't end up having a happily ever after. Sorry, I am an incorrigible romantic :-)

NOte: The email address to send feedback is on the Hum TV website: [email protected].
Thanks!
Edited by JNam - 7 years ago
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
JNAM u did the MOST NEEDED thing there
Thank u

Thank u

Thank u

Coz I always keep saying that we need to send feedbk to those who matter

I don't mind discussing shows here

But after each epi i mk sure to send EMNA feedbk in Insta

Then I tweet hum tv n emaad

N then I send mssg in fb messenger to RAHAT JABEEN...the writer of this show and she always replies very happily

So JNAM ...if u hv fb plz search rahat jabeen n copy paste this email of urs to her as well

She will be delighted
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
@SWEETANGELS...WHERE ARE U
CAN WE PLZ GET ANOTHER MONA VM ON ENNA SONA
JNam thumbnail

Originally posted by: ABBY_JERAN

JNAM u did the MOST NEEDED thing there

Thank u

Thank u

Thank u

Coz I always keep saying that we need to send feedbk to those who matter

I don't mind discussing shows here

But after each epi i mk sure to send EMNA feedbk in Insta

Then I tweet hum tv n emaad

N then I send mssg in fb messenger to RAHAT JABEEN...the writer of this show and she always replies very happily

So JNAM ...if u hv fb plz search rahat jabeen n copy paste this email of urs to her as well

She will be delighted

THanks! :-)
I just emailed Ms. Jabeen as well (I forwarded her my previous email).
Thanks for your invaluable suggestion.
Fobby_FoSho thumbnail
JNAM--Great idea! I may send an email myself one of these days :D
Alright, it's just a couple of hours til Monday here in 'straya, which means that strictly speaking we're about a day away from the new episode of KnK (LOL though with the time difference between Sydney and Pakistan, I end up watching the episodes on Tuesday mornings instead of Monday night). I've been trying to stay positive all week about the upcoming story, but I'm not going to lie: I'm going into this episode with much lowered expectations than I have in the past.

I just wanted to remind everyone of one thing:

The writers seem intent on making Mohsin a "gray" character right now--I'd even say a "villain" though I use that term very, very loosely since he is still acting in what HE believes are his children's best interests. Therefore, we will probably continue getting scenes of Mohsin being demanding and unrelenting in the next episode. Brace yourselves; this is the story the writers are going for.

I just hope with everything in me that with the scenes of Mohsin being unreasonable, we still get *some* scenes that remind us of the Mohsin we got to know before the leap, and that Mohsin's harshness in the upcoming episodes is still within a certain limit.

The fact that Navin and Emmad posted that video together, how Emmad doesn't like it when people call Mohsin a "negative" character (which gives me hope since he obviously knows more about what happens in the play than we do), how Navin, whenever promoting KnK on her Ig, almost exclusively uses MoNa promos/montages/pictures...these all give me hope that MoNa will have a happy ending. EmNa must definitely know by now that the show's appeal is largely credited to them, and the writers and producers must have an idea if the actors know. Since they were filming KnK as recently as two days ago, hopefully with all that knowledge they don't let us EmNa/MoNa fans down.

In short: Just be prepared for more negative!Mohsin...right now all I'm hopeful for is some scenes sprinkled in between that shows his sort of soft side. If I get even that, the episode will be OK for me.
_Sapphire_ thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Fobby

I agreed here, I had heard about Emaad's understandable frustrations with some people's misunderstanding about his character πŸ˜† but it did gave us a hope that there is more to story/show than we currently know or assumed. As well as gradually having the happy ending for EmNa's characters as MoNa so it all good. It does support our gang's theories about Moshin isn't the villain here, rather he is a complicated and grey character. And as an audience I will appreciate this, since this is what makes a show interesting!

Still anxious about the next ep though πŸ˜† can't help it! πŸ˜†

JNam,

Thanks for making the effort to send a review/positive feedback to the Hum and the writer. Also it is good that you have provided the link to this forum as there is plenty supply of brilliant reviews and critiques written by many members so it is not possible to be selective. As each single one of them is invaluable. So ideally it would best to simply send this forum link and hopefully they will have time to read most or some of them.
_Sapphire_ thumbnail
Have to say just hope Moshin won't go too far where he become unrecognisable from the old version or where it is difficult to justify and understand his character. As Fobby mentioned, the makers should ensure that they add/include some traits of old version in order to make his character bearable and of course some good quality moments between MoNa. Having said that, I don't necessarily mean all/some romantic scenes (even though some would be nice! πŸ˜† if it is possible) but more importantly they must have some good understanding and bond between wife and husband.
sidsk thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hello all! I had only posted here once at the beginning of this show and then I didnt get much time at all though I do follow the show regularly. But the amazing views and discussions here forced to post here again.

I am glad to see that this show is getting appreciated and receiving all the praise that is deserves. I think 90% of that credit goes to Navin and Emaad for portraying Ayna and Mohsin so convincingly.

Mohsin is such a hard nut yet still the intense chemistry that these actors share makes you root for MoNa so badly. πŸ˜†
I really wish the leap wouldnt have happened so soon. In fact I wish the leap wouldnt have happened at all. There was so much to explore between Mohsin and Ayna that honestly a leap and more new actors werent needed at all. Navin and Emaad together were carrying the show very well. In fact, I was relieved that Sajal and Faraz had also been sent away.πŸ˜†

And now coming to the leap, well that last episode was a disappointment, wasnt it? I mean Mohsin's character had so much progress especially when it comes to Ayna - developing feelings for her, appreciating how well she takes care of his kids, admitting to himself that he needs her in his life not just for his kids for himself too...but all that seemed to vanish post leap. I wasnt expecting him to turn into a mushy person because that would have been unreal but a little more nicer version of the person he used to be before his marriage with Ayna.

Ayna too seems to have lost the fire she had developed before the leap when she had started to stand up for herself and call him out for his rude behavior with her.

I just couldnt connect with them post leap and the extra actors just irritated me even more.

The only plausible explanation for Mohsin's behavior is that he probably found out about Maaz being Ayna's child...which would explain the 'ehsaan' dialogue. That was the one thing I wished Faraz and Ayna had been honest about, before the wedding, with Mohsin.

Anyway I hope the writers dont disappoint us and give us an explanation. If they are planning to make Mohsin a negative character then I think that will be a very big flaw in their work as all that progress between MoNa before the leap will not make any sense at all.

Would like to share two gifs I made...I am still new to this thing so they havent turned out that good.

-RD- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I don't mind a negative Mohsin if its based on knowing Maaz's truth and/or if this negativity leads to him making a blunder and then realizing from it and then eventually understanding what Aina went through all these years because of her one mistake -the moment she married Imraan.

As long as his shift either way is justified and the end of the road is a genuine true to his words pre leap Mohsin and a content MoNa i am happyπŸ˜†

Edit :- Thought of gifing my best Mohsin Moment his expression here worth a million bucks if not moreπŸ˜† we surely need some more such momentsπŸ˜†

Edited by -RD- - 7 years ago
_Sapphire_ thumbnail
RD

Don't why or how but I have a feeling that your gist/guess in KNK's possible plots is probably right πŸ˜† that is probably where the show is heading(where Moshin makes a mistake and eventually realising Ayna's true value or understand her better) but hoping it offer much more than this or at least directed and developed really well if it heading to your prediction 😊
Edited by CharmGal - 7 years ago