Happy Navratri to all my forum friends

Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Navratri begins tomorrow and would last till October 10. Maa Durga is worshipped on this occasion. In south India. golu is kept during this festival
Golu has been very fascinating for me since childhood. I have visited friends homes where they keep golu( Tamil word) mostly Brahmins keep I guess or people willing keep. It is really spectacular to see. God in the form of dolls depicting various scenes are arranged in what looks like a staircase mostly 5 to 9 steps if am not mistaken. Lighting up diyas in the evening near the dolls is also a practice.. Some more from around the net.

Navaratri is a time when many homes in the southern states of India feast on colors, light, music, and food. A significant part of the Navratri festival in this region includes the tradition of the Bommai Golu, which is a creation of an assembly of dolls that signify the richness and diversity of life. (Bommai means doll, and Golu means the display or artistic display.) It is believed that this creation is born from the Mother Divine, and Navrati is the time for one to remember, revere and worship the source - the Devi.

The ninth day is celebrated with Saraswathi poojai (worshipping the goddess of knowledge and learning). On the ninth day, books and musical instruments are offered along with the Golu.

Dolls of gods and goddess are placed in the golu. Scenes from Gita and epics are also placed. In temples I have even seen agriculture set up placed in the Golu.

P.S share some pics of golu. I don't know how to share pics only link gets pasted. Thanks in advance.
North Indians in the forums do visit a golu when u get a chance.
P.S I hope to have described golu well but words can't explain the artistic display of Hindu gods which is unique in each home and every temple have visited only very few. Do share ur experience too.
Edited by Cluny123 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Happy Navrathri. Busy time for me. What with poojas, bommakolu visiting and haldi-kumkum πŸ˜ƒ
Beautiful... thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Happy Navarathri friends.
Thanks for the info dear. I also have seen the bommala koluvu kept at the homes.
Have a great festival ahead
God bless u all
Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Shakti ki Bhakti ke Is Pavan Parv par aap sab ko khub khub shubkamnae 😊
Aur Garba bhi jarur kheliye πŸ˜›πŸ˜³πŸ˜ƒ
mnx12 thumbnail
Happy Navratri to everyone. 😊

Edited by mnx12 - 8 years ago
Thushi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Happy Navaratri to everyone πŸ˜ƒ
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Happy Navaratri to allπŸ˜›
Golu Pics:

Image result

Image result

Ayudha Pooja Pics:

rajshrip thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Happy navratri to everyone. πŸ˜ƒ love the picture mano.
Love playing dandiya raas these 9 days
deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Happy Navaratri to all the IF members. may Goddess bless all with prosparity and happiness.
Edited by deejagi - 8 years ago
CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Happy navratri to everyone 😊