Bade Bhaiya Ki Dulhania : The Imtiaz Ali connection! Must Read!

CrazyKupKakes thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago

Bade Bhaiyya Ki Dulhania: The Imtiaz Ali Connection

This show has clicked with me since the word go, so I couldn't stop myself from writing about it. I've always felt a certain connection with the show, maybe because of its originality and realism or because it provides the viewers with that special "slice of life" kind of feeling. Leaving all of that aside, there's something else that makes this show as special as it it. Being a HUGE fan of Imtiaz Ali and his films, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the main characters of the show and some of the characters from his films. So...let's begin!

Meera: 

Meera brings to mind one of my most favourite characters written by Imtiaz - VEERA TRIPATHI from Highway. Apart from the similarity in their names, these two women have a lot more in common. Despite belonging to rich families, both find comfort and happiness in the simpler and ordinary things that life has to offer. They are in search of freedom, and - most importantly - LOVE. In fact the following lines from the song Hawa Hawa from Imtiaz's Rockstar fit perfectly for both of these characters:

"Sone ki deewarein, mujhe khushi naa yeh de paayein...aazaadi de de mujhe mere khuda...le le tu daulat aur karde riha"

I guess both these characters prove the famous saying that money doesn't buy happiness. There was a sequence in the show in which Meera sticks her head out window despite sitting in an air-conditioned car. Having done that myself, I know how elated it makes you feel. Meera finds happiness in small things like this, and so did Veera. We can remember an immensely cheerful girl from the song Patakha Guddi finding satisfaction in the winds, totally carefree about the world around her.

I also see a connection between Meera and VED VARDHAN SAHNI from Tamasha. They both possess a similar desire, which is to gain acceptance. And in the process of trying to earn this acceptance, both the characters tend to lose themselves and become something they're not. Ved decided to move onto the career path his father chose for him, so that he could make his father happy and get socially accepted by pushing himself into the mediocrity of the world. This causes him to kill the real hero inside of him and become the person he is not. With Meera, there is a similar case. We often witness her yearning to find acceptance by her father. In one of the previous episodes, she risks going back into the jungle to find her wallet, which contained a message from her father saying "I am proud of you". Her actions depict the importance of being accepted by her Father. Meera also decides to marry the guy her Father has chosen for her, even though she does not have any kind of feelings for the guy. We see her going against her heart just to earn the love and acceptance of her father. This is also where Abhishek comes in and tells her how special she is, I guess we can see him as what Tara was to Ved; the muse to the artist, the one who shows the artist his value.

And there are obvious similarities with Jab We Met's GEET, who lived life to the fullest and taught Aditya to do the same. We are aware of Meera's crazy side and the effects that it has on Abhishek's life. He is learning to LIVE life, and the way Meera is changing him is absolutely beautiful to see! Meera also makes many decisions in her life without thinking of what the consequences will be, which is something we also saw Geet doing.

Abhishek:

Abhishek reminds me a lot of ADITYA from Jab We Met. A reserved guy who experiences difficulty in expressing his real emotions. I also feel that as the story progresses, it will be Abhishek who will initially develop feelings for Meera (We kind of see that happening already I guess), however it will be interesting to see how he reveals this to Meera, if he does that is. Similarly, in Jab We Met, it was Aditya who first fell in love with Geet and because she was in love with someone else, he never confessed his feelings to her. We are aware that Meera also has a would be fianc (maybe?) so let's see if Abhishek follows Aditya's path

Imtiaz Ali's movies aren't just movies, they are a journey...and that is what this show is; a beautiful journey. And those who make the decision of not going on this journey, well let's just say you're missing out on something BIG!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original link - Click

Credits - Twitter (ilahi_x)

Edited by CrazyKupKakes - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
Umm no...these are extremely far fetched comparisons. I don't see any similarities b/w these Imtiaz characters and Abhi-Meera at all. 

Meera and Veera couldn't be more poles apart...not every "whimsical/free spirit" Delhi girl character is Veera. 
bluecool thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Not aware of any of the movies mentioned. But nicely written 👍🏼
naadanmasakalli thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
i don't agree at all veera was totally opposite her issue wasn't just being ameer or wanting freedom from her family her issue was much bigger same goes for ved not at all same thing . as a matter of fact ved wasn't allowed to follow his dream of storytelling  his father wanted him to be engineer or whatever  but here our emera is like jack of all trades she has done 6 month courses in basically everything her parents aren't forcing her to choose a career they want her to be responsible but in whatever field she likes so yeah
also adi & abhi are totally different 
CrazyKupKakes thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
The writer of this article has written her points, and yes there can be contradictions, thanks for reading though:)