Engin Akyurek maybe the best actor in the world ever-BIO/Updates pg4&a - Page 95

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DefLeppard thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: hshan

Hi, anyone knows where I can watch Yabanci Damat with English subtitles?

I don't think subtitles are available.
However there few Engin scenes like Kadir talking to Niko, Stella are available on YT.
Engin has done a fab job in this slapstick comedy role.

https://youtu.be/wIIqNDJy8ow

https://youtu.be/THeZJtJMIJ8
Edited by DefLeppard - 6 years ago
DefLeppard thumbnail
Engin's latest article/essay has been published.
Thanks to Sweeti for promptly sharing it with us.

Engin akyrek benim akm Gzel gzleriyle
#EnginAkyrek new article #Birgece "One evening" with english translation translated: krke ngn thank you
waith the other translation Bir gece _ one night

I laughed at the thought that my former lover was sitting at the table across from me. She did not see me. If I could see - her grin would have frozen, and the smile would not have rolled down my face. We were in an expensive restaurant, and inside there were people who could pay even more serious bills. I should filter my views, because at the table next to me sat a girl who was my beloved for two months and is able to unravel the situation with her little women's touches. Overnight, I was not ready, I was like a student who does not know the subject on the exam. In my male profile, which I supported up to today, it was like ironing my suit. Restore Allah, the dual sensations in my soul could show weakness. In everyday life this is possible, but at the table at that moment I felt defenseless.
As the tone of laughter of my former lover declined, the existing barriers dissolved from sudden smiles, and a man next to her became visible. Her voice penetrated every corner, spread over all surfaces in the restaurant with plastic coating. Exactly at the request of the mise-en-scene the man was located to the beloved. Both have one ring on their fingers, a mound resembling a smile on the cheekbones, and poses gave comfort and confidence. The man sitting opposite me became something like a checkpoint between my past and future. If I had previously made such a stupid idea in a sentence, then I smiled to myself with my rounded places. Nothing was ridiculous, there was my new connection, my mood was in order, I did not ask unnecessary questions.
If I stood up and left, listened to the fluttering moths in my stomach, asked for an account, everything had to be in place, to sink into oblivion. The situation, knocking out the brains, took over my body, a sense of curiosity that I could not understand, cooperated with the table I was sitting at. I did not want to talk to myself, my mind wanted me to stand up and left, I finished this situation.
Suspended on my face gypsum cardboard smile looked quite unconvincing. As a murderer who returns to the crime scene, a stupid smile on my face, like a mirror, showed the killer.
Was there a love story left in the middle, or an unspoken phrase?
Sometimes it is impossible to describe what is going on inside a person. From everywhere jumped pictures that I did not even remember, and no one knows where the hidden phrases. As the proposals rose, which I lacked the courage to read, there were pictures that stroked my soul.
On my face reflected the redness of a little fried meat, cheeks puffed up like teenagers. My beloved felt the trembling of my body:
- Darling, are you okay?
- OK
- Hmm ... But you never ate so fast
- I'm hungry
I probably did not notice that I was eating fast. After drinking a glass of water, I threw a piece of meat into my mouth. From the corner of my eye I checked - my ex-beloved also ate meat.
She likes very fried meat, but when it's not necessary, she does not eat meat, but stuffs the belly with herbs. Judging by the fact that she eats meat, she got up early today, went in for sports, spent a tiring day. For three years that I have not seen her, she has not yet become a vegetarian, constantly postponing this step. If something changed over time, things that we knew about each other remained unchanged. While my former beloved was cutting meat, as if tearing my hips, carefully chewed the meat in her mouth, as if it was not already meat, but my heart, turned into a chewing gum.
Therefore, I used the right to answer the question with a question:
- Meat is very tasty
- Are you okay?
"Give you a piece of meat?"
"I do not eat meat, do you know?"
In fact, at that moment, at that table there were not so many things that I knew. Those that he knew - he forgot. I realized that after that, some things will not be like before.
If we had not met with my former lover, perhaps life was going to ask, filter out the questions, waited for a later exam. There was no need for life to ask me questions. Apparently, questions that I did not ask myself were at a distance of two tables opposite my desk. I do not know if I was happy sitting at my desk, but I felt that I was unhappy with the happy state of my former lover. At the person essence of metal forceps, in the most simple moments even as received from a warehouse of scrap metal can be rusty and sticky.
It is impossible that the former lover did not see me. I was in her field of vision. She knew that, unlike me, she could control this situation, she managed to turn the distance into two tables by female intuition, far from her eyes.
Before proceeding to order a dessert, my ex-beloved, at a slow pace, headed for the toilet, crossing the space between the tables. A light breeze licked my face, moved to my hair, as if touching my hands. The water I drank before was frozen on my lips. The light on my head, touched my face, and looked in my mouth like a wet vomiting of a child in a breastplate. Swallowing the water in one gulp at a time, I behaved like a caravan who saw the water in the desert. I drained my mouth with a napkin, the same as a tablecloth on the table, a napkin in my hands was launched for my saturation.
Getting up from the table, I began to walk very slowly. So, I was going after her to go to the toilet. The whole morale of my anxiety drove me ten paces away. Because I hastily started from the table, I grabbed the phone. I pretended to be talking on the phone while I walked to the toilet - this is the first thing that occurred to me. From a distance I looked very comical, near - an idiot. Pretending to talk on the phone was very difficult. Dumbling past me to the right and left, the waiters, smiling, looked at me, as if they had caught me in a lie. In order not to reveal even more, I occasionally said "hmm, hmm, hmm."
Doing this, without disturbing the seriousness of listening, I looked at my beloved. When my ex-lover came out of the toilet, the clinking of the high heels of her shoes served as a warning signal in my soul. I turned not only with my head, but with every cell of my body. There was a moment of useless female intuition, from which it is not possible to escape ... Over a period of a quarter of a second we exchanged glances, were silent, it seems, ate and drank. There was a state that did not want to stop the time. She did not want to create a new moment, a new interval of time. As if not finding a place where to put her hands, straightened her hair, her body could not move, as if she left her soul for storage, I realized her desire to leave. Do not look at my long explanations, not a split second, as she left, stepping past me again with a slight breeze. As she walked to the table, the sound emanating from her heels fluttered in my brain.
I rushed from the restaurant to the street. I needed clean air. The stupidity that I had just made before - I wanted it to come out with the air I breathed, hiding behind something, I wanted to stay there for a while.
The knave who smoked in front of me looked so pleased that I could well give him a kick. Under the causeless anger things could be so tragicomic.
- Do not share one cigarette?
"Of course, brother."
The Knave seemed to be waiting for this moment, he put a cigarette out of his pocket into my mouth. There was no fire, a cigarette given to me, he lit from his cigarette.
- Do not be disgraced, for the sake of Allah
Saying "do not scribble", he put the dried cigarette in my mouth again with his fingertips
- Do not sneer, do not sneer
While the night frost did not take my insides, I was going to smoke a cigarette and enter the room. He began to drizzle light snow. He woke up on the surface of cars like sugar powder. For such a night and such a decor approached.
"Can I get another cigarette?"
- Of course, sister.
And my ex-beloved went out into the street. When she did not reach the table, she followed me. When the jack was going to light a cigarette and my former favorite, I took a cigarette from her hand and lit it myself. I did not want the jack asking the same question about disgust. My beloved and my jack and I smoked in silence. The smoke produced by us created a comical spectacle.
My ex-beloved, looking at a cigarette in lipstick:
- You started smoking
- First time I smoke (cough). But you started smoking (coughing)
- And the first time I smoke (cough)
We witnessed how a woman coughing in front of her turned into a male tonality of voices in different ways. Her coughing voice was describing our past. Knave did not cough, the smoke inhaled by him even before he met his cells, he swirled between his teeth, walking peacefully. I did not want his cigarette to end. If it were not embarrassing, he could ask for another cigarette from the jack. There was a moment face to face with my former beloved, when the smoke of her cigarette flew to our lips, and it turned out like a kiss.
- The 28th year ...
- The jack's voice destroys our smoky atmosphere, my ex-favorite run into the room. This time I wanted to cut the jack for real. In addition, it was not an unreasonable anger, it will know how to serve as an instigator.
The cigarette in my hand becomes meaningless, her smell stinking my entire body from head to toe. My phone breaks, waiting for me at the table inside, my favorite is the fifth time unrequited dials the number. I have a phone in my hand, smoke on my suit and hair, in this form I made my way to the tables. Entering the room, my face began to appear an expression that could not be described. At my table, in my chair sat my former lover, and next to her beloved, as if they came to visit the holiday. At such moments, the brain can not instantly respond to the resulting image. At my table, my ex-beloved and a man whose name I did not know, what did?
Approaching the table, I could hear the voice of my anxiety.
After seeing my arrival, my beloved jumped to her feet:
- Beloved, come here, come. Look, my university friend Umit, we have not seen each other for a long time. This is his fiancee, sorry, I forgot your name ...
- Hello
"It's their wedding at the weekend, we'll go, love, will not we?"
Sitting in my throat, the taste of a cigarette, cleansing my breath:
- (Coughing) ... Let's go.

DefLeppard thumbnail

Disclaimer: This is solely my interpretation.

Decoding - One Evening

The narrator is spending an evening with beloved girl at an expensive restaurant. While he is almost enjoying the food, the company and the ambience, his focus shifts to a known person sitting few tables away.

Without much suspense the narrator explains that the known person is his ex-GF, whom he had not met in the last 3 years. While he subconsciously recalls little details about her, he is quick to take mental notes of her being engaged and her man seated next to her etc. His two month old beloved quickly recognizes the change in behavior of the narrator and puts a natural question of "are you ok?" *iyi misin*. As quirky analogy of an under prepared student attending an exam, the narrator disguises his distracted mind with a smile and stuffs in the food.
There is also a curious man watching narrator's changing body language, as if he were to validate him. In spite of shrugging off looming thoughts on his ex-GF, her happiness and existence, there is a certain inquisitiveness which the narrator cannot withhold. Generally the past and present are not supposed to meet; it would create an anomaly called jealousy.
This takes him to follow her to rest room. (In fact I was imaging Engin as baker boy Kadir who did such insane stuff in Yabanci Damat :) ) The ex-GF gives him a death of thousand cuts, with much sweat and no blood shed.

Embarrassed with his behavior, he walks out of the restaurant for fresh air. He meets a knave who assumes the narrator having a smoke break and lights a cigarette. Walking close behind, is his ex-GF who also picks up a cigarette. Apparently it's their first puff with more coughs: D. The narrator foolishly assumes that smoke patterns to be her kisses, until interrupted by the knave who has been smoking since 28 years!!

The rendezvous ends, and narrator finds himself worse awkward situation when the ex-beloved, beloved and ex-beloved's man are at his table!!

Is it as good as sipping a Brain freezer? (Popular cocktail) or is it another relationship mess up summary or just another diary of one evening?

Have ever heard the concept of advanced awareness/consciousness? I decode that Engin is trying to introduce this to us with a oodles of OTT (Over the top) silly and difficult situations.*giggled reading the stuffing of meat, drinking water with haste etc.*

In the beginning of this essay the narrator laughs at the thought of his ex-GF sitting in the same restaurant at the same time. He is in a state of unawareness. Then he experiences powerlessness or lack of control with random thoughts in the chaotic setup due to self-awareness of ex-GF's presence and his beloved's concern. He stops to take audit of her eating, her high heels, her man and what not...to become aware of his faulty beliefs that she might not be happy etc. This is when he enters the state of higher awareness.

With the change in the awareness, the movement of perception also changes. Until the narrator hits the self-awareness, he unconsciously perceives the lives - his and ex-GF according to his illusions which he considers to be true, but might not be. As he prepares for his "exams" by walking to the rest room, his intelligence supports in discerning what is true. This is when he begins to realize that ex-GF is no longer interested with him and walks away nonchalantly. And finally he understands the need of control via a cigarette on a cold winter day, he opens to intuition.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift - Albert Einstein

Engin's message to his readers is very loud and clear. See with intuition - not illusion.
Intuition, our sixth sense, is our brain's and body's ability to sense truth and make good decisions without having to rely solely on using data/evidence (observation or experience) and analytical reasoning (theory or logic). We need to develop the ability to sense and respond to the existing changes (similar to the dramatic turn of events at the restaurant).
Haven't we seen the futility of using empirical data (what happened in the past) to predict what is happening today or could happen in the near future. Time and time again, we see that today's social and ecological challenges no longer respond adequately to yesterday's solutions. We are undergoing a time of radical transformation where our past experience does not provide the answers we currently seek.

To conclude, the only way to change the what we see in the outer world is to change the perspective within ourselves which is randomly responding to negative triggers from outer world; commonly called wandering minds playing the roles of beloved x, y, z. ;-)

Once again, I am awestruck by the subtle push of the neo thinking via popular narration of a relationships, gender dominant intuition and funny scenes at the table.

Ustad, take a bow.:download:

PS:

Oh btw he takes several digs at women who binge eat and hit the gym or flaunt their arm candies with large diamond rings or entire social circuit which is so artificial (read as plastic) with gypsum board fixed smile. *he gets really mean, doesn't he?*

Happy New 2018 to all Engin fans :)

blyton thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks Dummycim for the decoding, and thanks to member Sweeti for sharing it. How eagerly I await his stories and their translations! Still waiting for the EAUFC version, as this translation obviously has some glitches. Still, I can't thank these translators enough who do so much as a labour of love. Without even meeting most of them in person, this man has the power to weave golden threads between people from different countries, regions and religions!
Like I said over a year ago...is this man real???? Or a beautiful morning dream waiting to flee at the rude ring of the alarm (which we keep putting in snooze mode)??
DefLeppard thumbnail

Originally posted by: blyton

Still waiting for the EAUFC version, as this translation obviously has some glitches. Still, I can't thank these translators enough who do so much as a labour of love.

Without even meeting most of them in person, this man has the power to weave golden threads between people from different countries, regions and religions!

EAUFC has not been active since long. Last I heard that the main person had a cataract surgery and things got slow.

This one does have abrupt end and glitches. We would have enjoyed the nuances better for one good translation, for once!!
That's partly due the syntax and Symantec of the Turkish language.
Anyways the essence stands out very clear.

@bold
Anji, every time I read Engin's writing, I get into state of Nirvana. He is neo yogi who can induce philosophy, humanity, sociology, history, well being...oh many things.

I would love to hear your experience of reading this essay.

blyton thumbnail

Originally posted by: DefLeppard

EAUFC has not been active since long. Last I heard that the main person had a cataract surgery and things got slow.

Ohh is that so? I hope she recovers soon and completely.

This one does have abrupt end and glitches. We would have enjoyed the nuances better for one good translation, for once!!
That's partly due the syntax and Symantec of the Turkish language.
Anyways the essence stands out very clear.

@bold
Anji, every time I read Engin's writing, I get into state of Nirvana. He is neo yogi who can induce philosophy, humanity, sociology, history, well being...oh many things.

I would love to hear your experience of reading this essay.

Dummycim, while the effect his stories has on us is pretty much the same, I do prefer to take them literally. I feel he puts himself as the first person in these imaginary situations where he is living out some subdued questions within himself. While the earlier stories were more about a wistful longing for childlike innocence, the recent ones seem to indicate dilemmas about Love. Be it 'Gitmek', 'Merhaba' (my favourite from 2017), 'Bence Sefa' or this latest one, the narrator is always left bereft of love. Is Engin simply replaying situations from his life, taking incidents from the lives of his friends, turning observations of people in cafes into stories, or attempting to live an 'underground life' in which he is forever the suffering protagonist taking wry digs at his own sentimentality? Is he making a larger statement about humanity or struggling with his own doubts?

No doubt, he has this calming, exalting effect on everyone who touches his life. But what of Engin, the man, who might be dimly aware of his own Divinity but would grow skeptical about it when faced with his very human dilemmas? He is so wise that we as fans sometimes bypass the puzzled little child inside of him. I wonder if the world confounds his self-image time and again. I wonder if he doubts his ideas about life. I wonder if his writing serves the dual function of making sense of life, and at the same time reminding him not to take his own faculty of 'making sense' too seriously.

Now I wonder if I am making sense...😕

blyton thumbnail
Speaking of 'little child', just HOW ADORABLE a nervous bachcha is he looking here? Obviously I couldn't understand a word of it, but his voice and his face are enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3wsGgdPkM
Edited by blyton - 6 years ago
DefLeppard thumbnail

Dummycim, while the effect his stories has on us is pretty much the same, I do prefer to take them literally. I feel he puts himself as the first person in these imaginary situations where he is living out some subdued questions within himself.

Is Engin simply replaying situations from his life, taking incidents from the lives of his friends, turning observations of people in cafes into stories, or attempting to live an 'underground life' in which he is forever the suffering protagonist taking wry digs at his own sentimentality? Is he making a larger statement about humanity or struggling with his own doubts?

Yes, he is a very sensitive person, who is constantly evaluates situations either faced by him or others around him - friends, visitors, fans or just common people.

While the earlier stories were more about a wistful longing for childlike innocence, the recent ones seem to indicate dilemmas about Love. Be it 'Gitmek', 'Merhaba' (my favourite from 2017), 'Bence Sefa' or this latest one, the narrator is always left bereft of love.

For me it was Hasan and Merhaba. They were outstanding.
Deep down, its a sense of unsettled feelings which he tries to convey through his short stories - in search of ideal life partner or projects or pursuit of real person who he is.

No doubt, he has this calming, exalting effect on everyone who touches his life. But what of Engin, the man, who might be dimly aware of his own Divinity but would grow skeptical about it when faced with his very human dilemmas? He is so wise that we as fans sometimes bypass the puzzled little child inside of him. I wonder if the world confounds his self-image time and again. I wonder if he doubts his ideas about life. I wonder if his writing serves the dual function of making sense of life, and at the same time reminding him not to take his own faculty of 'making sense' too seriously

I easily relate to him since we (Engin & us) are peer group, we often think of several such aspects after we have much realized our stage in life. (read it as carnal conquests).
I guess most people interact with him mapping him to Kerim, Mustafa, Omer or Daghan without much separation from character to actor. Hence he must be questioning the real identity of "Engin Akyurek". An identity crisis of sorts? Uh!
I don't think there are any doubts of ideas about life, it's acceptance of the ideas by his near and dear ones. After all he needs to survive in that ecosystem

Now I wonder if I am making sense...😕

High on Enginisms, and very much make sense;-).
Edited by DefLeppard - 6 years ago
DefLeppard thumbnail
@Anji
If we have to relate the effect of Engin's essays on us...its very similar to Einstein's "spooky action at a distance"

Do I make sense now? ;-)
blyton thumbnail

Originally posted by: DefLeppard

@Anji

If we have to relate the effect of Engin's essays on us...its very similar to Einstein's "spooky action at a distance"

Do I make sense now? ;-)

Yes, it does! But this 'spooky' action is only spooky to us because we are used to seeing just a slice of larger Reality. Human connections run deeper than we think. Of course, the effect of such discoveries on us is indeed eerie...spooky.😉