Rituparna Sengupta feels Kangana didnt deserve National Award

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Action Alliance

Posted: 8 years ago

Rituparna Sengupta is miffed with the fact that Kangana got the National Award for Tanu Weds Manu Returns and she missed it for her performance in Rajkahani.

Says a source, "Rituparna feels it is unfair that she lost out to Kangana. She wouldn't have minded if an actress from regional cinema had got the award but when it's an artiste from a commercial Hindi film it's upsetting for her. She feels actors from regional films don't get their due. Kangana has received a National Award earlier for Queen as well. Rituparna feels her performance was as good as Kangana's in TWMR and has been cribbing to people that it is lobbying and not talent that matters."

Popular Bengali actress Rituparna Sengupta, who played Begum Jaan in Srijit Mukherji's film Rajkahini, told Hindustan Times in an interview that "I was clueless how to portray Begum Jaan; she was an alien character to me. She is courageous, dominating and authoritative. It was quite a departure from the characters I have played so far. Her expressions were tough. She has got immense power within her.According to Srijit, since I am a dancer I have a lot of feminine movements. But Begum Jaan is ruthless and Srijit wanted me to get rid of the softness in me. He wanted Begum Jaan to be rude and speak harshly. I don't know how to speak rudely to anyone or use slang."

Sengupta further told HT, "When we started shooting, I was struggling with the voice and hookah. Begum Jaan is fond of the hookah. I don't smoke and I don't know how to use a hookah. On the day of the shooting, it was a catastrophe. I inhaled too much of the hookah smoke and I was groggy. I threw up and was almost in tears. I took a break, rested and then resumed shooting.

Edited by Shy_ - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Donno about her performance but I totally agree about kangana's performance being undeserving.
the_notebook thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Kangana's reaction:
hasini009 thumbnail
sahi baat👍🏼
RamSiyaRam thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I agree Rituparna. Bang on, Kangana performance was over rated and over hyped.
GPastaF thumbnail
She's right,her performance in Rajkahini was very good indeed but as we know national awards are also very biased towards bollywood so its not really shocking that Kangana got the award .But I'm not complaining, her performance in TWMR was also good
crazygul thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
agreed even nana patekar was more deserving for nata samarat. i think regional cinema actors are not acknowledged like bollywood actors .
kuchnaakahoo thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 7
Is lobbying possible in National awards too ??
kuchnaakahoo thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 7
What r people talking abt here???
i was going thru the list of the national awardees just yesterday n regional actors and films are felicitated more than the BW actors..

willina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Rajkahini is one of the best films ever made in this decade and rituparna sengupta, a national award winning actress in her debut film, has given a career best performance in it. In this film, she plays the madame, of a brothel house, with 12 prostitutes working under her,set in the times of 1947 partition of India. the line of partition passes through her brothel house and the problem begins. childhood best friends turned opposing party members in congress and muslim league, a royal family who has lost everything in communal riots migrating over to India, who realise that years of royal prestige and respect has become zero overnight, and a brothel madame who threatens to cut a line through anyone who even thinks of demolishing the brothel house, or rather as she says it, she would 'partition" anyone who thinks of partitioning her land. This hugely acclaimed film will soon be made in HINDI and the role of the brothel madame will be played by VIDYA BALAN.
I am sharing the plot spoilers from wiki.

Plot Spoilers ahead

Plot

In August 1947, the British passed a bill regarding the partition of Bengal. Delving into the grim history of the Partition, Srijit's movie Rajkahini is weaved around a border between the two nations that runs through a brothel housing eleven women. Bengal was broken up twice (1905, and then during Independence) - officially for demographic reasons and ease of administration - but actually, it was a strictly political move to curtail Bengal politics. The narrative follows the erection of the Radcliffe Line as the boundary between the newly formed nations of India and Pakistan. As both the Congress and the Muslim League battle it out in courtrooms as to which side of Bengal will get which territory, in another part of Bengal is a brothel, situated right in the middle of Debiganj and Haldibari districts, which is the home and the world to eleven women and two men. Begum Jaan (Rituparna) is the boss, while the other women work under her as prostitutes. ...

Meanwhile, the political sky is darkening. The Radcliffe Line passes between Debiganj and Haldibari, the former being placed in East Pakistan, and the latter remaining in India. Mr. Prafulla Sen (Saswata Chatterjee) from Congress and Mr. Ilias (Koushik Sen) from Muslim League (who were childhood friends but now separated) meet and discuss about the relocation of the people of the two districts. They discover that in its course, the boundary line has been drawn right through the middle of Begum Jaan's brothel. They meet Begum Jaan and tell her to evacuate her brothel along with her women, who refuses to budge. Meanwhile, the Nawab of Rangpur (Rajatava Dutta) was relocating with his family and followers to West Bengal, where he stayed at the brothel for a night. Begum Jaan complained to him about Mr. Sen and Mr. Ilias, to get them out of their respective parties. After visiting Delhi for the meeting of the rulers of the Princely States, he informed Begum that he is not an influential person anymore, and the Princely States were being integrated in the Indian Union, and the titles were being abolished. Begum decided to fight her own battle.

Exasperated at the futile attempts to evict Begum and her women from the house, Prafulla and Ilias turn to Kabir (Jisshu Sengupta), leader of a criminal gang, for help. Kabir and his gang commits all kinds of heinous crimes in these turbulent times of riots and violence. ...