Info on Asandhimitra *The chief queen*

Niki. thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Asandhimitra (d. 240 BCE) was the Chief Queen (Agramahisi) of the Mauryan emperor Ashoka, for the majority of his reign.[1] Asandhimitra apparently bore her husband no children and died without leaving any issue. She is greatly spoken of in the Great Chronicle or the Mahavamsa.

Asandhimitra was probably the princess of a little kingdom in what is now East Haryana north of Delhi (India), for it seems more than coincidence that the little town of Asandh boasts what it claims to be the biggest Ashokan stupa in India, 80 ft high and 250 ft in diameter. According to the Mahavamsa, she was called "Asandhimitra" because the joints in her limbs were visible only when she bent or stretched them out. She was also of perfect beauty. However, a more straightforward reading of her name would have been that it means "friend" (mitt) of "detachment" (a-sandhi).

Marriage to Ashoka

Since Asandhimitra belonged to a royal family, she was considered to be a suitable wife for Prince Ashoka. Therefore, upon Ashoka's accession to the throne in 270 BCE, Asandhimitra became his first queen-consort and was additionally given the honourable title of agramahisi (chief queen). As such, she held many exclusive powers, prominent among which was the authority she had over all of Ashoka's lesser queens and concubines. Asandhimitra held the position of being her husband's chief consort for thirty years, from his accession in 270 BCE till her own death in 240 BCE. BR]
On Ashoka's accession it would be expected that he would marry a princess of an appropriately high rank as his chief queen, which he may well have done when he married Asandhimitra. Thus, while Ashoka's secondary wives, such as Devi and Karuvaki, lived in his harems situated at Vidisha and Kausambi, respectively; Asandhimitra lived with the emperor in the imperial palace at Pataliputra (the capital of the Maurya Empire) throughout her life.

She was Ashoka's devoted helper in his great efforts for the advancement of the Buddhist faith. She is also said to have been a trusted advisor and a faithful companion to her husband and is described as having been his "beloved" and "dear" queen.

Ps: Don't you guys think showing asandhimitra is very important as she was the chief queen
who held the position for 30 yrs..she stayed with ashok for 30 yrs in patliputra in his palace till her death, where as devi nd kaurwaki stayed in harems.. 🥱Edited by nikii11 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Wonderful information On Asandimitra😃
I wish they show her in the show
Niki. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nonie12345

Wonderful information On Asandimitra😃

I wish they show her in the show

yeah! They should show ahankara as Asandimitra!!! As she was the only royal friend of ashok in his childhood!!! And ashok too respected her a lot.Their Friendship was genuine and beautiful,
And Asandimitra was supposed to very beautiful princess!! just like ahankara. 😃Edited by nikii11 - 8 years ago
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: nikii11

yeah! They should show ahankara as Asandimitra!!! As she was the only royal friend of ashok in his childhood!!! And ashok too respected her a lot.Their Friendship was genuine and beautiful,
And Asandimitra was supposed to very beautiful princess!! just like ahankara. 😃

I agree with u Nikki😃Ahankara will perfect as Asandimitra
Niki. thumbnail
The cv's should stop showing kaurvaki as the Main lead of cas!! kaurvaki or devi were just secondary queens.. Ashok was not a Monogamist , he was a Polygamist. he fell in and out of love ..As he had harems and concubines ..keeping all this in mind the cv's should have made Asandhimitra as the Female lead ..Cause she was the chief queen, who had the powers over all other queens and concubines .And she was the one who stayed with ashok in patliputra for 30 yrs till her death in his palace compared to his first 2 wives(devi,kaurvaki) who stayed in harems..
MuguetDScorpion thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
There was a time I wanted Ahankara back like anything but now the expectation has gone. All I want now is that they show more about Ashok than his love story. But if they really want to force us on the love story, I will definitely chose Ahankara over Kaurwaki. 
mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
It's not even a question of "if" they should show Asandhi or not.. she should be introduced in the show no matter what because her importance in Ashoka's life cannot be over-emphasized.. but then again knowing how the CVs are obsessed with KVK they're probably gonna depict KVK as the agramahisi ðŸ˜¡ðŸ˜¡

Gosh I've visited the forum after such a long time hoping that the CVs' sick obsession with KVK must have died down by now and wanted to watch CAS again cause of Mohit... but after going through the forum I'm not so sure about watching the show again ðŸ˜•ðŸ˜•  Is there any news at all about Asandhi being introduced in the show or not? 

PS: I have nothing against KVK but one has to admit that the CVs are giving her waaay too much screen space.. much more than it is neccessary.. it's just that there were more important women in Ashoka's life than her.. Asandhi and Devi were held in much higher regard by him..

Edited by mystic786 - 8 years ago
zaara610 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I hope they bring back Ahankara as Asandhmitra..tfs
Melkor thumbnail
Thank you very much for this information on the Agramahishi Asandhimitra.She was definitely one of the most important women in Ashoka's life.And she was a queen whom I admire a lot.
But regarding the importance of Devi and Karuvaki,I will disagree.Historical accounts vary on this topic.None of the historical accounts refer to any one of his queens as his favourite.There were three wives of Ashok who are important.And they are Devi,Karuvaki and Asandhimitra.Devi was the first wife and mother of his most renowned children Mahendra and Sanghamitra.Karuvaki was the second queen and mother of Tivala.She was also the only queen to be mentioned in his edicts.Asandhimitra was the the Agramahishi and an important partner in his all his endeavours.

Devi lived in Vidisha out of choice.In Karuvaki's case most of the historical accounts say that she lived in the imperial palace while a few refer to Koshambi.

Ashoka loved all three of them in different ways and they were important to him.All three had influenced his life in some way or other.

Regarding the portrayal of AshVaki romance in the show and the movie,even I am against the over glorification of Karuvaki and that Karuvaki is being depicted as the only woman he ever loved.But saying that Karuvaki never had any importance in Ashoka's life is wrong too.The historical Karuvaki was extremely important to him.And this is a fact which cannot be denied.
So was the historical Devi.She also held a position of importance in his life.

Niki. thumbnail

Originally posted by: mystic786

It's not even a question of "if" they should show Asandhi or not.. she should be introduced in the show no matter what because her importance in Ashoka's life cannot be over-emphasized.. but then again knowing how the CVs are obsessed with KVK they're probably gonna depict KVK as the agramahisi😡😡

Gosh I've visited the forum after such a long time hoping that the CVs' sick obsession with KVK must have died down by now and wanted to watch CAS again cause of Mohit... but after going through the forum I'm not so sure about watching the show again😕😕 Is there any news at all about Asandhi being introduced in the show or not?

PS: I have nothing against KVK but one has to admit that the CVs are giving her waaay too much screen space.. much more than it is neccessary.. it's just that there were more important women in Ashoka's life than her.. Asandhi and Devi were held in much higher regard by him..

No there is no news of Asandhi being introduced. Yeah even I dread that they might make kaurvaki as the Chief queen of Ashok .Loser cv's 😡 keede pade unke muh main 😡Edited by nikii11 - 8 years ago