What actually Kausalya meant?

Beautiful... thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
The couples are not allowed to stay together in same room till garbdharan. What does that mean. I didn't get it some one please answer. Wat that a kind of child Mrg as what we call now?F

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

The suhag rath will be organized in line with some stars etc and just not on the day of wedding. The Purohit will check the auspicious day and time for the same and only on that prescribed night the couple shall become one.

Even in this 21st century in some families, this ritual is followed.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@bdaygirl it is not garbhadharan, it is garbhadan ritual. I have not seen the ritual of the toe rings being put on the brides.
Toe rings are made of silver and it is believed that the silver toe ring in the second finger of both legs strengthened the uterus, and makes childbirth easier because of silver's properties.
Today toe ring is put along with marriage itself and maybe in those days as Jaya said suitable time and date is taken to perform this ceremony.
Only after providing strength and nurture to the female body using toe ring earlier days suhaag raat used to happen.
That's my understanding. However will wait and see.
jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Garbhadhana Samskara according to Vedas:

The ritual Garbhadana is called by Sankhayana Grihya Sutra as Chaturtikarma. It says that after three days have lapsed after the marriage ceremony on the fourth day the husband makes an offering of cooked food to eight deities, namely, Agni, Vayu, Surya, Aryaman, Varuna, Pusan, Prajapati and Svistakrt. He then pounds the root of ADHYANDA plant and extracting its juice pours it into the nostrils of his wife. Then just before consummating the union he touches her,with saying

The mouth of Gandharva Visvavasu art thou
Then he murmurs into her ears
Into the breath I put the sperm Oh! My ( he repeats the name of his wife)
Or he may repeat other verses prescribed.

The prayer mainly was for a male child. He may otherwise repeat verses from the Brihadaranya upanishad which say
As the earth has fire inside it, as heaven has Indira inside it, as the wind is inside ( as the embryo of) the quarters, so do I plant a Garbha in three, Oh! (he repeats the name of his wife). The upanishad also has passages to the effect that that after three days have lapsed after menstruation when the wife has taken her bath she pounds rice. It is then cooked together with various ingredients. The ingredients vary when the couple desire for a fair, dark, or brown son or a scholarly daughter. The husband then offers clarified butter through fire. He also eats a portion of the food prepared and gives some to his wife. He then sprinkles water on her thrice saying
Rise, Oh Visvavasu, seek another blooming girl with her husband. He embraces her and says :
I am Ama. Thou art Sa. Thou art Sa. I am Ama. I am the Saman. Thou art Rk. I am the sky, though art the earth. Come, let us strive together so that a male child may be born to us. Even as they unite he repeats mantras that mean .May Vishnu make ready your conception channel. May Tvasta frame your beauty. May Prajapati sprinkle and may Dhata implant an embryo into you. . Oh , Sinivali! Oh, Prthustuka! Implant embryo in her. May the two aswins who wear a garland of lotuses plant in thee an embryo., etc.

Atreya holds in Hiranyakesi Grihya Sutra that mantras were to be repeated at union between a husband and wife throughout life. Badarayana however says that this is necessary only when the union is first consummated, and when they unite again after each menstrual cycle. The Vaikhanasa Smarta Sutra calls this ceremony as RTUSAMGAMANA.

jayvenk thumbnail
This ceremony in most marriages is done after the mangalyadaranam itself.
Centuries back when child marriage was prevalent, The ceremony used to conducted once the girl gets her periods and she officially comes to her in laws place.
jayvenk thumbnail
anyone wanting more details regarding time days, nakshatra etc when "union" is not to be done??????
😃
Beautiful... thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks to all 😊
Sorry it is garbhdhan. I have heard it wrong.
And thanks for jayvenk. for the long post. 😊
And by the way I am Rupa. Once again thanks for u r replies
Edited by Bdaygirl - 8 years ago