Divya Khosla Kumar: No one has seen my struggle

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago

Divya Khosla Kumar: No one has seen my struggle. I did not become a director overnight

Madhureeta Mukherjee | TNN | Feb 1, 2016, 12.00 AM IST
Divya Khosla KumarDivya Khosla Kumar
So she's pretty as a picture. A picture the way Divya Khosla Kumar makes it. High on gloss, youthful content and great music. And the powerhouse of her husband Bhushan Kumar's company to propel her product. But success doesn't come easy. Even if you are pretty, privileged and enjoy the perks of being a producer's wife. Yes, no one knows the struggles and trials she has faced to be a director. She has learnt the ropes the hard ways too, like others do. But with pride she uses her competence over her clout, to shape her career with her second upcoming movie, 'Sanam Re.' In this unabashed interview, Divya tells us about her struggles, her soulmate, her middle-class values and how filmmaking for her is way beyond a whim and fancy. She has got her answers down pat and her movie story to the 'T'. Read on...

It took you years to convince your producer-husband Bhushan Kumar to make your first film 'Yaariyan,' but 'Sanam Re' followed quickly.
Yes, 'Yaariyan' released in January 2014, and by March I had cracked the story of 'Sanam Re.' Sometimes you put in so much hard work that destiny bhi aapke saamne haar jaati hai. During my first film I had proudly announced that it had to do well, there was no other way. I was so confident; I knew how much I had struggled and suffered to make it. Thankfully, it was a success. Bhushan was not ready to trust me with it in the beginning (laughs), but after my directorial debut, he was the one running after me as a producer to make my next, saying, 'Mere liye picture bana de'.Bhushan wanted me to do 'Yaariyan 2,' but my heart was set on 'Sanam Re.'

Despite enjoying the perks of being a producer's wife, you had to struggle?
No matter who you are and where you are... struggles will always be a part of the journey. Even the biggest superstars of the country have to struggle to sustain their position and power. I know I am blessed with so much, and people keep reiterating that I am Bhushan Kumar's wife, but I always stay grounded. Main kuch bhi ban jau life mein, I will never let it go to my head. I still consider myself a middle-class girl. Even today, while leaving a room I turn off the lights and teach my son the same values. I have a lot, but I don't take anything for granted.

So you work as hard as any other director making a film for the banner?
I didn't become a director overnight. I didn't step in one day and say, 'Oh I want to make a film, let's do it'. I have worked hard and trained myself for years. Initially, Bhushan was not comfortable about me directing a movie. He was worried about how I would deal with all the criticism that came with it. So he kept discouraging me for eight years, while I kept convincing him. I directed music videos for the company that became a hit and I won his confidence. He is a sharp businessman and is protective about the brand of his company. He won't let his wife do anything on her whims and fancy if it ruins the company's reputation. No one has seen my struggle. I have worked hard to reach here. I am a pretty face so people don't want to give me that much credit. Jinhe nahin maanna hai, I can't help it.

After your debut film in 2004, why didn't you pursue your acting career?
The process of directing consumes you physically and mentally, so it didn't leave me with energy or time to pursue acting. I also had a baby, and he was my priority. I have always been asked when I will make a comeback on screen. So for 'Sanam Re', I decided to surprise everyone with a special dance song.

Is directing a superstar on your wish list?
'Yaariyan' was a risk as it had five newcomers, but it made me fearless as a filmmaker. I will not cast stars only because they bring their weight of stardom. Initially, when Bhushan discussed the (special appearance) role with Rishi Kapoor for 'Sanam Re,' he refused the part, as he didn't want to play a grandfather. But just out of love for us, he came all the way to my office to hear the story. He heard the the narration and instantly said, 'I am doing it'. If I could convince such a big star, I guess I have it in me (laughs).

'Sanam Re' is about finding love and one's soulmate. Do you believe in soulmates?
Yes, I totally believe in soulmates. There are parts of my life that I have put into this film. I come from a conservative, middle-class Punjabi family from Delhi. My mom convinced my dad, and they supported my decision to come to Mumbai to pursue my dream. I have gone through my struggles of travelling in local trains and shifting seven rental houses in one year. I bagged 'Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo' on my own merit. Then Bhushan spotted me and we got married. My destiny got me here, not my work. I was meant to meet him and marry him. This, I believe, is a soulmate connection.

Is it tougher or any different for women in this field?

Making films is a tough business; it is like being in a war zone. Every director will identify with it. For women, it is tougher. We don't have many successful women directors in mainstream cinema. Farah Khan has made big commercial films and achieved success; it gives more strength and power to women. As Bhushan's wife I didn't want to piggyback on a star's shoulder. I took the risk and I had to believe in my own talent. Also, I work only day shifts, no night shifts for me. I need to reach home and spend time with my son. I guess the first priority for most Indian women is their family and then their career.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Divya-Khosla-Kumar-No-one-has-seen-my-struggle-I-did-not-become-a-director-overnight/articleshow/50795390.cms

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cupoftea11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
You are not a pretty face Ew
Yeah she struggled her way into Bhushan Kumar 's pants 😆😆😆
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
yaariyan is one of the shittiest film ever that film just sailed past due to the blockbuster music
.Bongsookie. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
What struggle? Your husband produces all your crappy movies.  😆

grounder thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Her struggle was to convince her husband to produce a film for her .. that's like really a shitty thing to think of as a struggle.
fast trak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
You've got it on a platter. What struggle is that?
Eggon_Snow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
I wonder if her movies are ghost directed.
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Critique Crusaders

Aww Poor You Divya. You and your rich husband who just doesnt know what to do with all his extra money. Man, what a tough life you both must be living. I cant imagine what they might be going through. 
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Listening to Her voice wud be a struggle for her hubby everyday