Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

Even before reading Ramayana I have heard the story of Ram and Krishna through my great aunt orally. According to her Ram was born to kill Ravana. And when coronation was announced the devas became jittery on what will happen if Ram sits as the king. The requested Maa Saraswati to sit in Manthara's tongue and ensure Kaikeyi asks the 2 boons and Ram is send to exile. So if you look there Manthara and Kaikeyi just became a medium for Ram to complete the mission of his life.

So there is no point looking at Kaikeyi as a villain.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: sugunmanas

IS IT NOT THIS WAY
KAUSHALYA:
(a) Kaushalya (Ramayana): Kaushalya was the eldest wife of King Dasharatha and the mother of Shri Rama. She was a very caring mother and equally loved all her step sons. She was heartbroken when her son was sent away from her for 14 years. But Lord Rama promised to be with her even in their next incarnation.

(b) Yashoda (Mahabharata): Kaushalya was reborn as Yashoda in Mahabharata. She became the fostering mother of Shri Krishna who lived His first 14 years of life with her. He kept His promise in this way.
KAIKEYI:
Kaikeyi (Ramayana): Kaikeyi was the second wife of Kind Dasharatha, the father of Shri Rama. In the pursuit of making her own son Bharat, the king of Ayodhya, she forced Dasharatha to send Rama to an exile of 14 years. Dasharatha died broken hearted and Kaikeyi faced a curse, which she underwent in her rebirth.

(b) Devki (Mahabharata): Kaikeyi was reborn in Mahabharata in Dwapar yug as Devki. Here because of her curse, incidentally she had to stay away from her son Krishna for 14 years (the period of Rama's exile), before he return to free her after slaying Kamsa.

There may be another version out there that has this, but as per Shrimad Bhagavat Purana by Vyasa, it describes the story of Prajapati Sutapa and his wife Prushni, who mediated on Lord Vishnu for many years in order to get him as a son. When Lord Vishnu finally appeared to them, Prushni was so amazed at his sight that she asked him to be her son three times, so Lord Vishnu told her that he will be born in her womb in three lifetimes. Sutapa and Prushni were first reborn as Kashyapa Prajapati and his wife Aditi (also the mother of Gods). Vishnu was born to them as Vaaman in order to defeat King Bali who coveted Indra's throne.

Second, Kashyapa and Aditi were reborn as Dashrath and Kaushalya, and Vishnu was born to them as Ram. Third, Dashrath and Kaushalya were reborn as Vasudev and Devaki, and gave birth to Krishna. Thus, Lord Vishnu granted their boon in three lifetimes by taking birth in Prushni's womb.

It's also interesting to note that in Shrimad Bhagavat Puraan, another of Kashyapa's wives Kadru is the mother of Sesh Naag and other serpents, and it is this Kadru that is reborn as Sumitra, the mother of Lakshman and Rohini, the mother of Balaram, both of whom were Sesh Naag's incarnations.

Bhagavatham does not describe the role of Kaikeyi in all this, but other versions out there have her reborn as Yashoda, because she too wanted Vishnu as her son, but she never specifically asked him to be born in her womb. She just wanted him as her son, and she got the chance to raise him as Yashoda.

I am sure there are versions out there that have Kaushalya reborn as Yashoda and Kaikeyi as Devaki, but personally I take Shrimad Bhagawat Puraan to be the main source for anything Vishnu/Krishna related, because it was written by Vyasa, who is equal to Valmiki in the authenticity of his writing. Anyway, each to their own. 😊
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

Even before reading Ramayana I have heard the story of Ram and Krishna through my great aunt orally. According to her Ram was born to kill Ravana. And when coronation was announced the devas became jittery on what will happen if Ram sits as the king. The requested Maa Saraswati to sit in Manthara's tongue and ensure Kaikeyi asks the 2 boons and Ram is send to exile. So if you look there Manthara and Kaikeyi just became a medium for Ram to complete the mission of his life.

So there is no point looking at Kaikeyi as a villain.

This story is from Adhyatma Ramayana, and yes it's an interesting one indeed.

I don't think anyone really views Kaikeyi as a villain, because there are villains plenty in Ramayana already. No, neither she nor Manthara were negative people. They were just mediums used by Lord Vishnu to ultimately defeat Ravan. Be that as it may, their actions were wrong and they repented for it for 14 years. Repentance is the only way to absolve ourselves from sin, so by the end of the epic, they do not deserve any hate.

However, that doesn't mean we cannot learn from their actions. From Manthara and Kaikeyi, we learn an important lesson never to trust an outsider with our family's secrets, and never to let an outsider, even if they are a loyal servant, to influence us against our own family. Only we can be the true judge of our own family, and no one should be able to influence us.
..sahana.. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
I agree and i'll like to share some parts of the book im reading.

Kaikeyi nodded when Manthara has finished. Evil had taken hold of her completely, and it was doubly sad because it was well known in Ayodhya how this queen adored Rama. * But now cunning fate darkened her mind, so she hardly knew what she did. And Manthara, evil's agent or fate's, ruled her weakness.

*Indeed, she loved him so much that the Devas asked the Goddess of speech, Saraswathi, to sit on Manthara's tongue that day, so Kaikeyi's mind would be poisined and destiny could take its course.

Ramesh Menon, The Ramayana A modern retelling of the Great Indian Epic
Edited by ..sahana.. - 8 years ago
Kanak-123 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Manthara's story: In her past life she was a beautiful Gandharvi - celestial beings who entertained the Devas through music and songs. She was told by Brahma to take birth as Manthara and was the given the mission to exile Sri Ram to forest so that he can bring end to the rule of the demons and convert them to the path of Dharma.

Bhagvan Sri Ram also told her that in her next life she will be known as Trivakra and this will happen when Krishna Avatar will take place on earth. Sri Krishna will then embrace her and this will straighten her back and she will become beautiful again
jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Everything is a cycle of karma. We to take several births for the same reason.
Edited by jayvenk - 8 years ago
P.D.Dutta thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Loved everyline of the post. Beatifully written and expresses Kaikeyi's transformation. I did not about her rebirth as Devki. Thanks for the info!!
For me, the answer is affirmative too. Kaikeyi suffered more than she deserved. A mother can be selfish but her punishment was far worse than her crime. She bore guilt, lonliness and shame altogether. Even her son foresaken her.

Loves Grusha as Kaikeyi in the serial. There cane be never a better Kaikeyi!!
lifeiscrazy thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Dplee

Loved everyline of the post. Beatifully written and expresses Kaikeyi's transformation. I did not about her rebirth as Devki. Thanks for the info!!

For me, the answer is affirmative too. Kaikeyi suffered more than she deserved. A mother can be selfish but her punishment was far worse than her crime. She bore guilt, lonliness and shame altogether. Even her son foresaken her.

Loves Grusha as Kaikeyi in the serial. There cane be never a better Kaikeyi!!

thank u😊