Viswasruti thumbnail

Dream Weavers

Posted: 8 years ago
                                             JANANI  NAMOSTHUTE                                                                               (SALUTATIONS TO THE MOTHERHOOD)                                                                    [ A Remembrance : 11 years after the Tsunami ]

"Sadly missed along life's way , quietly remembered every day !

No longer in my life to share, but in my heart, you are always there !"

On that fateful morning under the bright blue sky --

Janubai was sitting there in the front yard of her house breast feeding her 4months old infant . There was a nip in the sea breeze, though it was already half past 9am .  Many fishermen  left the shore early in the morning as usual ; only women, kids and elderly were left behind . A crow was silently watching the feeding mother from the Neem tree which was standing guard in front of the house !

The sea water regressed considerably and from a distance the water front was looking like a silver line! It was an unusual sight...the sea never left the shore that much inward and was appearing like a normal extended regression. But later it was to be proved that the innocuous   looking  sea, in fact, was  like a tiger taking a few paces  backward before pouncing on its prey !

Feeding over , with a satisfied look the infant   started playing  hide and seek with his mother. While smiling, a tiny drop of milk dripped from the edge of his lips and was quickly swallowed by the sand down below! A mother's love absorbed by the thirsty earth . She wiped his mouth  with  her pallu .

The laughter of the kids playing on the abandoned fishing boat is echoed on that shore! At that moment her elder son Kittu came running out of the house with a school bag to say bye to his mother! He just bent down to kiss  the cheeks of his brother , and she was trying to cover her chest, then there was a sudden splash of water followed by rumbling and roaring sounds as the sea waves started rushing  towards the shore!  Morning walkers on the beach and residents in the fishermen's  settlements  almost abutting the sea got a rude shock when waves leaping up to 30-40 ft crossed the beach and slammed into the houses nearby, catching everyone  unawares.

The sudden gush of water tossed Janubai and her kids high and were taken along by the surging wavefront and were floating  in the water for a while, as they were carried far away by the tidal wave. In the spurt of the moment she caught hold of  Kittu's  hand with one hand , before she realised they were lifted out of the ground and were hanging entangled in the branches  of a neem  tree . She managed to get a foot hold over a big branch , then suddenly with a roaring sound  another tidal wave hit the shore and she had almost lost balance , but managed to hold on to the branch gripping it tightly with one hand and with the other  pressed the  infant  to her bare chest. Meanwhile Kittu clung to his mother's neck with his both hands , terrified at that sudden uprooted displacement ! She looked down and was seeing water everywhere ... many thatched  roofs were being washed away , many wails from far and near , the  frightened squeaks  of the birds displaced from trees , the crackling sounds of houses and walls lent the air. An onslaught of destruction , an angered sea's revengeful eradication could be seen!  The water level  started raising and it was difficult for Janubai to withstand in that raging  water ! A  shocked numbness occupied her mind , watching Kittu struggling to hold on to her . The water force was too much for his tender hands as he was  trying to cling on to his mother.  In the deluge the infant in her arms started choking  as he swallowed some water and he vomited the milk he just took which got mixed in that huge sea of water.

"Mom ... I can't ,  my hands are aching , I am unable to hold , I am slipping Ma , please hold me Ma ...I can't any more,please catch me Ma.."

"Kittu  hold me tightly ,"-- her neck was aching , almost ready to break , with one hand she caught  the branch tightly , preventing herself and the clinging kids from getting washed away , with the other hand she tightly pressed the infant to her chest.  Minutes passed , Kittu's hands started losing grip as  he was fast losing all his energy and was going pale with fear in his eyes .  In a spurt of that moment she just tried to catch him with another hand but realized that she doesn't have the  third hand !!

Shocked at that realization ...only two hands ... oh God ..she wailed ... the weight she was bearing has become unbearable now... still with a squeaky voice , she said   hold me tight Kittu , don't leave Baabu! "

"Ma , can't  stand anymore , I am terrified , want to hug you , put your hands around me Maa , please hold me Maa "--

She was struggling , with physical pain ...  the little kid  was  crying , but his eyes were reflecting  full faith as he was in his mother's hands ! Kittu  was pleading , now his voice changed from yelping  to wails , slowly his voice was weakening ..he was searching for the assurance in his mother's eyes , which always showered love on him..  all the time ..he was  waiting for that reassuring touch ; suddenly he got a doubt,-- why Mom is not hugging me? I am in such a pain , in danger , why she is not trying to save me'? ... a fear! a disbelief !!

"Amma , " -- he started crying  , she was combating with her senses , on the verge of fainting , cursing herself for not having another hand to hug her child , can't leave the branch , if she leaves , all three will be washed away by the inundating water,  wanted to tie the infant to her waist with the pallu , and catch Kittu  with the other hand , but can't do that now , searching for the other ways , no higher branches left to climb up. She was scared of losing her foothold because of the brute force of the water current.  The force was such that the thatched houses were circling and floating  like paper boats ! Another splash of water crossed the shore line, which was not visible now.. there was no shore to see!, only sea!  Surrounded by water and with a sudden jerk , Kittu lost his grip and was washed  away , without a wail , not even a word !...  she shouted  with a weak voice " Baaboo ..." water took him away from her , she was about to jump  into the water to catch him, but  the infant cried with a squeaky voice as  his mother's body shuddered that sent shivers in him !   She stopped, looked into that kid's face and then turned towards the devastating sheets of water.  Her eyes started searching frantically for Kittu  .. he was nowhere to be seen!  The sea swallowed him ! She was numbed and a feeling of emptiness engulfed her!

No energy was left in her to comprehend, with lifeless eyes she started staring at the unending expanse of water.  The baby in her hold was stilled and was gasping for breath.

After an unaccountable time lapse, the  water level started receding , she was able to sit on the branch , now the fact slowly trickled into her mind..' where is Kittu?..  she was unable to protect him .. threw him      into the cruel hands of death . If she did something, he could have been saved . Why he looked in to my eyes in such a disbelief?' .. a feeling of guilt engulfed her..

Oh God ...why it happened ? How he must have felt while going away from me ? How he cried for help ? Why I am still alive after losing my son... those tender hands ... he cried with pain , those looks ...praying for help, I lost my motherly instinct(did I?) and I lost him forever . I deserve to die, why the kid paid with his life for my inability? "

No idea  how long she was there , the baby cried and fainted in her hands , she was not aware of that ,she was looking deep into the water and sat there with empty looks .

Some people came swimming there and rescued her along with the  infant . They were given first aid and sent  to rehab camp . Weeping survivors everywhere .  Pain and hope alike were harvested from the tragedy . There were hundreds of people who lost  one or the other member of their family and were there  like moving corpses !

People from all over the world offered their assistance.
She sat in a corner of the room and nursed the baby and fed him. She refused to eat the food offered by the rescuers. She was not able to convince herself that she lost her first child forever... unable to clear that guilty feeling!

She searched for her husband in all rehab centres and in hospitals, but did not get any news. In about 15 days, the Govt. along with NGO's, put back the shanties of the fisher folk and extended financial support. But there was no news about the missed fishing boats. In those 15days she trudged up to the shore many times, standing there  with moist eyes, as if questioning the mighty  ocean for the tragedy , for the loss of her loved ones ! The irreparable loss and pain caused during the tsunami has left a deep scar on her mind.

That day she was standing in the front yard and staring at the sea as usual... Jaanu!' , a known voice , she turned her head and saw her husband running towards her, he came running and hugged her !

" I feared that I lost everything in my life , thank  God , my family is intact , as long as you are there , we all will be safe Jaanu  " -

Janubai was watching the  happiness overflowing from his face ,  he heard the cry of the baby, ran in , saw the baby in the cloth swing , touched his tender cheeks , the baby smiled in the sleep , there is a twinkle in his tearful eyes , searched for the elder one , looked at her   with questioning eyes . She stood there crushed under the guilt, slowly his face turned red with anger -

" What ? Killed my kid?  left him to the sea? Can't you save a small kid ?"  A slap on her face, she bowed her head down as if the God himself has meted the punishment  ! On previous occasions , whenever he beat her  under the influence of booze , she used to react , scolding him, used to  threaten him of leaving permanently . But now, she stood there stranded in her sorrow, she stood there glaring at him with lifeless eyes.  He looked at her and crumbled over her feet crying , because he knew what a loving mother she has been and how much dedicated she was towards her family!

He too started going from pillar to post in search of Kittu, their darling son and as days passed by, with a dwindling hope they continued their search !

Since then she often started going nearer to the sea to stand there staring at it, as if searching through its bottom for her kid whom she was yet to find. Day after day, the morning light reflected over the mild ripples of the sea, shining as if a weak baby was glaring at the grown-up world with wonder.  A strong desire used to fill her inner self , to take the entire  ocean in to her two hands to kiss it to feel as if she was planting a kiss over her child's tender cheeks  with a burst of pure motherly warmth! She knew that , her kid is  there in every drop of the ocean , that's why she wants to hug the entire water body with her tiny hands

Later in the sea she started seeing a dim reflection of herself... in that, her son smiles at her, then a sudden realisation dawns and she tells herself.. yes,  he is there , in my every inch , in me only ! In my heart forever,  as long as I am alive!'  She smiles painfully.

Her continuing existence after the death of her kid tore her into pieces...but hope lingers, looking at the radiant face of her infant child with captivating glances and invigorating smiles, her fears get shattered, her gloom gets over -shadowed by the thrill of watching a child grow, giving love, bestowing trust in her and in return, expecting all and more in abundance!  Surely,  a full time job on hand for a doting mother...and the life goes on...

This is in remembrance of all those who perished in the Indian Ocean Tsunami, on 26 December, 2004 and all those who are sustaining those  memories- dedicated to the spirit of life!

Edited by Snehamadhuri - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Viswasruti thumbnail

Dream Weavers

Anniversaries remind   survivors   not only  the loss of their loved ones  - but also the horrific seconds - minutes and hours during the day and days following of the tsunami, who drawn in to the drama of life and survival.---- and it suddenly becomes real. Real people. Real challenge. Real horror. Real loss. And real survival!!

Janubai of this episode represents a mother with an unfathomable love for her children (JANANI), an embodiment of motherhood and Kittu, the life transformer, who probably takes another form and comes back to life in the future, like the little Krishna, who floats on a Banyan leaf during the deluge and devastation (Yugaant), survives and reincarnates from time to time!

Edited by Snehamadhuri - 8 years ago
cygnet9 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Madhu wonderful writings, While reading I felt as if I am witnessing a real incident, as if I am there at the time of Tsunami, as if I met those people who suffered.

Your writings are very emotional. Thank you and waiting for many more OS from you.
nn027 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2

A beautiful, moving story Madhu. Each your story is excellent, you are so talented. Thank you. Forward to many more wonderful stories to tell us. ❤️
Avyakta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Madhuri ,my dear friend , what a heart wrenching story it was ! 😭One of the most tragic and traumatic losses life can deal out to a person is the death of a child .  No mother  is prepared for the loss of her  child, and when it happens, her  world  changes  forever. The grief, guilt, and anguish felt are acute and lasting. Madi , your story described all these sorrowful feelings of a mother in  a proper way . Last lines are really excellent , full of life's lessons !
Natural calamities always show us how helpless and small we are in front of the mighty Nature's power . Nature nurtures us as a mother , scares us like an unseen mighty power , and always prepares us to face any traumatic situation in our life !
Well written story Madi .🤗
Edited by Avyakta - 8 years ago
ahilajkula thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail

Dear Madhu🤗, a very sad day😭. Many sad stories happened that day.  Many people then lost their lives or their loved ones😔.

(The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake occurred at 00:58:53 UTC on 26 December with an epicentre off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The event is known by the scientific community as the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake.[6][7] The resulting tsunami was given various names, including the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, South Asian tsunami, Indonesian tsunami, the Christmas tsunami and the Boxing Day tsunami.
The undersea megathrust earthquake was caused when the Indian Plate was subducted by the Burma Plate and triggered a series of devastating tsunamis along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people in 14 countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 metres (100 ft) high.[8] It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. Indonesia was the hardest-hit country, followed by Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand.)

ahilajkula thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail

Madhu❤️, whether you knew someone who was have lost their lives or their loved ones in that  disaster of huge proportions?

Viswasruti thumbnail

Dream Weavers

Originally posted by: anglecat9

Madhu wonderful writings, While reading I felt as if I am witnessing a real incident, as if I am there at the time of Tsunami, as if I met those people who suffered.

Your writings are very emotional. Thank you and waiting for many more OS from you.

Thank you Padmaja for liking my OS . 🤗
This is a sorrowful disaster that did hit many innocent lives without even giving them any warning or alert.
They  spent their lives living near the seashore for generations together,  worshiping the Sea Goddess who has nurtured and protected them  and their  families, enabled them  to fish and feed their  family,  the same sea all of a sudden became angry and furious and caused this massive destruction to their  life. The monumental loss and pain caused during the tsunami has left a deep scar in  affected people's  minds that will take time to heal may be few decades or a lifetime . Mastering changes in life situations is a part of human existence Padma . Certain situations are such that there is no choice except to accept the fate !
Viswasruti thumbnail

Dream Weavers

Originally posted by: nn027

A beautiful, moving story Madhu. Each of  your story is excellent, you are so talented. Thank you. Forward to many more wonderful stories to tell us. ❤️

Thank you Nado for liking this OS .  🤗
Life never prepares people to face such severe adversities most of the time. To accept and cope up with the reality is the real test to them throughout . 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Dream Weavers

Originally posted by: Avyakta

Madhuri ,my dear friend , what a heart wrenching story it was ! 😭

Res ...

Avi ... 🤗