Rising intolerance against Mytho shows-TOI

mnx12 thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tv/news/hindi/Rising-intolerance-against-mythological-shows/listshow/50161970.cms

Part covering SKR from the article.
Devdutt Pattanaik, who has worked as a consultant on mythological shows like Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev and Mahabharat, says, "There are some things that I can't show on TV. For Devon Ke Dev - Mahadev, we showed that Shiv had a daughter. Uske baare me kahin nahi likha hua hai, but we found a reference to her in one folk tale and we showed it. One has to take creative liberties. Who decides what's okay and what's not okay? There is no formula out there. This particular Mahabharat (the latest one) broke all the norms and they thought they will get away with it, and they did. The show did quite well, from what I hear. I have been involved with most of the mythological shows on TV. Aap unhe bata sakte hain ki kya kar sakte hain, but at the end of the day, it's their call. Kabhi Brahma ki kahani nahi dikhaate hain. People in the southern states don't know about the tales prevalent in the north, and vice-versa. Many things are edited out for showing on TV."He adds, "Even BR Chopra's Mahabharat showed only 12 chapters (adhyays) of Mahabharat. Jab Ramanand Sagar ne apna Ramayana show banaya tha, uss mein kitni editing huyi thi. That was Tulsidas' Ramcharitmanas. They didn't show the stories that are popular in the south. In the show Siya Ke Ram, we are showing Sita as an educated girl who has a point of view on things. Hum usko ek bebas nari ki tarah nahi dikha sakte kyunki audience nahi accept karegi. Also, Valmiki's Ramayana doesn't have the concept of Laxman rekha. Toh yeh concept kahaan se aaya? Bengali Ramayana se joh 500 saal purani hai. Only historians know about it. Writers do take creative freedom. Some cross the line and go overboard, and are even disrespectful. Advisors like me can only point out errors or deviations. Rest is the decision of channel. That being said, creative freedom within limits is part of the myth-making and storytelling traditions of India. People who complain are often unaware of alternate narratives or have fixed views. And yes, some are rather unreasonable and intolerant. We have to take all this in the spirit of TV mytho fiction."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tv/news/hindi/Rising-intolerance-against-mythological-shows/listshow/50161970.cms
Edited by mnx12 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@Meena: Thanks for sharing. From the reply of BCCC, it seems those who raised complaints wasted their precious time and energy. πŸ˜‰
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
That pretty much say it allπŸ˜†πŸ˜†
mnx12 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ramyalaxmi

@Meena: Thanks for sharing. From the reply of BCCC, it seems those who raised complaints wasted their precious time and energy. πŸ˜‰

BCCI considers Mytho gener is open for interpretation. πŸ˜†
It's good to know what are the possible replies for the word, distortion.

Edited by mnx12 - 8 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
edited: Part of the article covering SKR is added.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Meena mytho is open to interpretation. As long as the soul is intact I don't think any complaint will fly. What Devdutt Patnaik told is true. SP Mahabharath was a huge success. And the large part of the success can be owed to the way they presented Krishna. And the soul of the epic was kept intact. Even in SKR we can only expect that.
mnx12 thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@Meena mytho is open to interpretation. As long as the soul is intact I don't think any complaint will fly. What Devdutt Patnaik told is true. SP Mahabharath was a huge success. And the large part of the success can be owed to the way they presented Krishna. And the soul of the epic was kept intact. Even in SKR we can only expect that.

Even I have the same opinion. As long as the soul is retained such interpretations will work.
As long as the Divinity of the lead is shown at the right time, it'll will accepted by many.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
See people just have to see the Ram in Ashish Sharma as much as they saw Krishna in SRJ. During Ramanad Sagar's DD Ramayan people used to treat Arun Govil as Ram. And SRJ did a really wonderful job to override the image of Nitish Bharadwaj in old MB.
Once Ashish is able to create that feeling of Ram, SKR will run like anything. And seeing Ashish I feel it is only matter of time before he creates that impact.
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: mnx12

Even I have the same opinion. As long as the soul is retained such interpretations will work.
As long as the Divinity of the lead is shown at the right time, it'll will accepted by many.

Yes, I like the different aspects of the incidents but not showing something totally irrelevant, unless they have source for their work. But here in the article, the replies seems to be just an eyewash. Hope SKR stick on to the originality (can be any version) and gives logical explanation to it.
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

See people just have to see the Ram in Ashish Sharma as much as they saw Krishna in SRJ. During Ramanad Sagar's DD Ramayan people used to treat Arun Govil as Ram. And SRJ did a really wonderful job to override the image of Nitish Bharadwaj in old MB.

Once Ashish is able to create that feeling of Ram, SKR will run like anything. And seeing Ashish I feel it is only matter of time before he creates that impact.

True Shruthi. For people like me, the show needs to deliver clean epic story with rational thoughts and good cast to portray. I don't know any of the actors in the field, so if the actor plays well the character, I will like it.
Edited by Ramyalaxmi - 8 years ago