Epi 8 - shiksha- anivarya ya paryapt?

Arshics thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago
The previous episodes laid the foundation for this one.
It established that gyan is not the domain of only men

That the yug of Ramayana respected independent thought

That gyan was not merely to learn. It was about internalising and applying

Ironically, it also showed that even then women who were independent and strong

Were viewed with suspicion, especially by other women. 😆

Today the episode made its foray into the question of 'what is the "right" education for a princess

Is it enough for her to learn all the 'womanly' qualities of managing a home and a family?

Will too much education create problems for a woman?

Is the only purpose of education gainful employment?

Very relevant and meaningful questions, in the world of today.

Waise, achcha laga dekho ke, that raja Janak acknowledges that his wife is more intelligent than him!

Aur kuch cheezain kabhi nahi badalti - even then women downplayed their own intelligence and limited themselves, for the sake of domestic harmony...

Aur achcha nahi laga, Kaushalya ma still mourning about that what is lost, rather than rejoice in what is - four wonderful sons, who are returning after many years... Somehow this aspect of Kaushalya is a little difficult to accept.

interesting end to the episode - we shall see another aspect of Sita - her courage in the face of danger...

Also, the episode marked a milestone in the lives of ram and Sita, his formal education ended and hers began ...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I am glad they are showing Sita's thirst for knowledge, but sending her and her sisters to Gurukul was a bit too much. It never happened. As much as it's nice seeing Janak's progressive attitude, it's inaccurate to show Sita and her sisters going to Gurukul, because women did not go to Gurukul outside their home back then. It just wasn't done. Yes, princesses were educated in everything, including warfare, but not outside the confines of the palace. Historically, this show is becoming more inaccurate by the day.
Arshics thumbnail

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

I am glad they are showing Sita's thirst for knowledge, but sending her and her sisters to Gurukul was a bit too much. It never happened. As much as it's nice seeing Janak's progressive attitude, it's inaccurate to show Sita and her sisters going to Gurukul, because women did not go to Gurukul outside their home back then. It just wasn't done. Yes, princesses were educated in everything, including warfare, but not outside the confines of the palace. Historically, this show is becoming more inaccurate by the day.

True, there is a lot of modernisation and bending of the story to suit the present day young generation, I think we have to take it with a pinch of salt and look beyond these alterations.

Not just this, I am also bothered by costumes, jewellery and set designs, which all have been given a contemporary look.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Arshics

True, there is a lot of modernisation and bending of the story to suit the present day young generation, I think we have to take it with a pinch of salt and look beyond these alterations.

Not just this, I am also bothered by costumes, jewellery and set designs, which all have been given a contemporary look.

Very contemporary!

I don't feel like I am seeing Treta Yuga characters. For all its talk of grandeur, the show is way too simple. Back in the ancient days, royal families were known for their silks and gold. They wore it in abundance, whether we like it or not. Please keep saying it's not realistic to have so much gold on, but guess what? It was realistic back then so it doesn't hurt to show some gold and silk on the actors.

Sita and her sisters look like a group of today's school girls attempting to play dress-up. The style of their hair, the lack of bindi on their forehead, the lack of jewelry, the modern ghagra cholis...I don't feel like I am seeing the incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi onscreen. Same goes for the Kings and Queens' costumes.

This show is very much geared for the younger generation who have no idea about the epics. For people like me who revere the epics and appreciate authenticity when watching it on TV, they'll be very much disappointed with the general execution.
Arshics thumbnail

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

Very contemporary!

I don't feel like I am seeing Treta Yuga characters. For all its talk of grandeur, the show is way too simple. Back in the ancient days, royal families were known for their silks and gold. They wore it in abundance, whether we like it or not. Please keep saying it's not realistic to have so much gold on, but guess what? It was realistic back then so it doesn't hurt to show some gold and silk on the actors.

Sita and her sisters look like a group of today's school girls attempting to play dress-up. The style of their hair, the lack of bindi on their forehead, the lack of jewelry, the modern ghagra cholis...I don't feel like I am seeing the incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi onscreen. Same goes for the Kings and Queens' costumes.

This show is very much geared for the younger generation who have no idea about the epics. For people like me who revere the epics and appreciate authenticity when watching it on TV, they'll be very much disappointed with the general execution.

Replied on your thread
Muggle_Diaries thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Nice take again Arshi...
My comments are in line

Originally posted by: Arshics

The previous episodes laid the foundation for this one.

It established that gyan is not the domain of only men

That the yug of Ramayana respected independent thought

That gyan was not merely to learn. It was about internalising and applying

- True.

Ironically, it also showed that even then women who were independent and strong

Were viewed with suspicion, especially by other women. 😆

- Same old thing, isn't it? Women have been conditioned forever to feel inferior, that they cannot have independent thought in their pretty little head. Any confident woman unafraid to say what she means are criticized. Mostly I think it is due to envy (sour grapes and all), partially due to their own thinking (brain washed from birth). I am not talking about Sunaina here at all...but in general. Just see today's serials. A "Good" woman is always obedient, will take any emotional and physical abuse from her husband and in-laws. God forbid is she wears even jeans! And on the contrary, any modern thinking, independent woman is invariably 'Bad'.

Today the episode made its foray into the question of 'what is the "right" education for a princess

Is it enough for her to learn all the 'womanly' qualities of managing a home and a family?

Will too much education create problems for a woman?

Is the only purpose of education gainful employment?

Very relevant and meaningful questions, in the world of today.

- Questions were there then and are relevant even now.

Waise, achcha laga dekho ke, that raja Janak acknowledges that his wife is more intelligent than him!

- One enlightened man for sure. We need more of them.

Aur kuch cheezain kabhi nahi badalti - even then women downplayed their own intelligence and limited themselves, for the sake of domestic harmony...

Aur achcha nahi laga, Kaushalya ma still mourning about that what is lost, rather than rejoice in what is - four wonderful sons, who are returning after many years... Somehow this aspect of Kaushalya is a little difficult to accept.

- All she needs is her husband to acknowledge about their daughter and that she is as important as their sons. It is not that she does not love her sons, it is just that she wants to see the same kind of love for her daughter from Dasharat's eyes. It is simply a case of miscommunication and Ego from both sides.

interesting end to the episode - we shall see another aspect of Sita - her courage in the face of danger...

Also, the episode marked a milestone in the lives of ram and Sita, his formal education ended and hers began ...

- His education would still continue with Vishwamitra.

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Arshics I cant type it again on the education part. Please read it here http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4519878One more thing. What do we want our young generation to know. The message of Ramayan right. Do we want the soul of Ramayan to be correct or physical appearance of Ramayan to be correct. And if the soul has to reach the younger minds, the physical appearance has to connect with them. It's a fact. Proven fact that vision is the most powerful sense. If people cant connect with vision obviously message is a long lost thing. Even Krishna used Maya or illusion to prove his points.
Because Kaliyug is run by illusions unlike Tetrayug. So if illusion or Maya is used in the right sense why bother about it unnecessarily.
I know I will be challenging orthodox views, but then sometimes for the right outcome you have to use illusion.
@kshiti you said a good woman is shown wearing saree in teleserials and shown crying. And a contemporary woman wearing jeans bad.
Can I ask one thing. Why cant a contemporary woman wear a saree, understand some bhajans and then go and talk to a group about the importance of education. Believe me you will have more takers. If you want to bring change, first you have to appear like you are part of the crowd, only then the crowd will trust you and your POV.
I am contemporary to the core. From childhood I have always questioned. Questioned epics, questioned practices. But I have not dis respected my culture. I have never told Ramayan or Mahabharath are some myths. But through questioning I have tried to understand how they can be applied in everyday life. And my search for answers continues. And my contemporary ideas , my values I have tried to speak through this epics which people can connect. Which can change people.
Younger generation wants answers. If the epics cant give them that, they wont respect it. And they really want contemporary knowledge. Not some Sanskrit verses. World is reeling under gender in equality, religious intolerance and many other vices. And to combat it , right spiritual knowledge that can be applied in the present world. Help the younger generation make right choices when faced with conflicts. That should be the final thing coming from epics like Ramayan is my take.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
darkchocolates thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 3
Nice take of the episode.
Such a nice episode it was. Education is important for all not only man. It helps the the person to be confident in life. Helps the person to be self independent. Completely agree with you an important question in today's world.

A salute to Raja Janak's thoughts.

And the precap was also awesome. Looking forward to this track!!!!
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 2
Yesterday's episode was amazing. Loved Janak's thoughts about educating his daughters. There are many women like Sunaina in today's times who deprive a girl child from getting educated. I hope whoever is watching this show learn something from Raja Janak.
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Fantastic analysis and episode Arshi