Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: iDea-yeS-viruS

"Mother, father and teacher are at our own disposal. By negelecting them as such, how can we worship god, who is not at our disposal, by various modes?"

Lord Ram words to Sita about significance of respecting others.

This is my favorite quote in Ramayana. In those pperiods, People are highly obsessed with Moksha. So they kept yagas, divine rituals, etc... They believed God only can give that. So they tried their best to attain it.But Here,Lord Ram believed while one couldn't satisfy respectable Parents, teacher wishes, it's silly to believe our acts will satisfy god to bless Moksha. in my POV, it's like expecting God to help us while we are neglecting other's necessary.

Beautiful quote. We use to say matha, pitha, guru, thaivam (god). The utimate reach is god but the path is via the steps.
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward.
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 2
@idea lovely concept. I don't understand these quotes. I guess through your post I will understand Ramayan better.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Mata, Pita Guru Daivom looks beautiful in theory. And in tetra yug application of it was easier. But in Dwapar Yug Arjun faced the confusion. Because his guru drona was with Kauravas. And Kaliyug it is much more difficult. No relation has dharma in it. When to question, whom to question, how to question anyone is confused.
What I feel people need clarity is how to apply the teachings of Ramayana in Kaliyug. What support system we need to ensure we follow the teaching of Ramayana.
Because Arjun needed a Krishna to support him, to show him the path of dharma. Whom do we need when faced with confusions.
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
@Shruthi: I feel, it is not about whom we are allowed to question. It is first the matha who tells who the pitha is, then comes pitha who shows the guru and he is the one who enlighten us with knowledge through which we have to find the god. If any of this path breaks, we end up in trouble. So we are allowed to ask questions to anyone and to continue till we feel we got our guru, like swami vivekanand.
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Ramya I am not telling about childhood. I am talking about adulthood, I mean the person who gave knowledge you, the person who loves you or you love situation brings that person opposite to you. just like drona and arjun. That's where you need guidance. At that point. decision has to be taken split of a second. To fight or not to fight.
iDea-yeS-viruS thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@Shruthi Akka.
I think probably that's why Ram called Maryada Purshottam. If you notice here closely, it's not only about satisfying others and satisfying our inner first.
In fact except Sita(technically Kaikeyi and Manthra) no one accepted Ram decision.
Mata Kausalya insisted Ram to stay back. Pita Dhasarath urged Ram to conquer him because that only possible enough to redeem Raghu clan's promise(because Dhasarath only gave vow. He have two options either promise or death. So he chosen second).Guru Vashist advised Ram to have Royal support at forest. Minister Sumanthirar,Jabali,Ayodhya people requested Ram to stay back. Even Bharath begged Ram to accept kingdom back. But Ram refused to do so. He believed in Truth and Patience. This was highly explored by Valmiki. Here, Ram was never shown as Krishna who gives moral gyans. In whole Ramayana, Rama was portrayed as one who interested to learn Dharma than well versed Dharma. Still Ram refused to accept Others advice.he felt somewhere all others preaching adharma to convince him.I think this is the moral given by Ram to us. Its not about situation, it's not about people, it's about you and yourself.

Follow you conscience, get advice if you believe you're doing wrong. If you did wrong, try to rectify if you can't, be ready to face the consequences.

That's all anyone can do, even God.This is just my take. It's up to you whether accept it or not.
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@Ramya I am not telling about childhood. I am talking about adulthood, I mean the person who gave knowledge you, the person who loves you or you love situation brings that person opposite to you. just like drona and arjun. That's where you need guidance. At that point. decision has to be taken split of a second. To fight or not to fight.

@Shruthi: I mean that we should decide at the neck of the moment what to do from what we learned. That is where actually we fall short. Arjun was aware of dharma but its attachment which inhibited him. Krishna just guided him. But it is not always required that someone external has to tell you, I feel it should be our aatma.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Exactly follow your conscience. I understand that part. And that is what I always call direction. But what I said is following conscience in Tetra Yug was easy. Not so easy in Kaliyug. Because Dasrath himself told Ram to conquer him, because he knew what he was telling his son was not right. Dasrath had conscience.
But in Mahabharath Arjun's Guru Drona was willing to go any extend to give his side victory. Including the killing of 16 year old Abhimanyu surrounded by 7 warriors. Only victory mattered to Drona, not dharma. He was Arjun's teacher, Arjun was his favorite disciple. Arjun hesitated to fight him, but Drona didn't hesitate to kill Arjun's son the most brutal way. MB talks about the way Drona orders 7 warriors to surround Abhi. The only person who even tried to question that act was Karna.
In the infamous hall of dice a woman cries out for justice. Not to disrobe her. Asking her husband how he could place her as a bet. Asking the elders is it dharma to disrobe her. No one gave her solace. Krishna had to come.
yes Ram's path is ideal, but it application you need direction which Arjun got from Krishna. And we should get from conscience according to the situation. Ram showed how to live as a human. Krishna most probably has shown how to apply it according to the situation. Because in Kaliyug you don't have Dasrath, you don't have bharath, you don't have Laxman. You have people worse than dussasan, worse than Shakuni. And these are the people you need to deal with. So application matters.
And please don't tell Krishna gave moral gyan. He has not asked Arjun to do anything he himself has not done. If he asked Arjun to shoot arrows at his cousins, he himself killed his uncle who was doing adharma.
He asked people to worship Govardhan, and when Indra's wrath came he gave them shelter under govardhan.
If he took Rukmini from marriage mandap, he allowed Subhadra to go with the man she loved. And above all he took accountability for all actions in his war by taking the curse from Gandhari smilingly. He defended Arjun and thus established Dharma.
For me to understand Krishna's actions , I am trying to understand Ram's path. Because in that path lies the secret of Krishna Leela's
Because Ram is Maryada purushottam, but Krishna is called Poornavatar.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

Exactly follow your conscience. I understand that part. And that is what I always call direction. But what I said is following conscience in Tetra Yug was easy. Not so easy in Kaliyug. Because Dasrath himself told Ram to conquer him, because he knew what he was telling his son was not right. Dasrath had conscience.

But in Mahabharath Arjun's Guru Drona was willing to go any extend to give his side victory. Including the killing of 16 year old Abhimanyu surrounded by 7 warriors. Only victory mattered to Drona, not dharma. He was Arjun's teacher, Arjun was his favorite disciple. Arjun hesitated to fight him, but Drona didn't hesitate to kill Arjun's son the most brutal way. MB talks about the way Drona orders 7 warriors to surround Abhi. The only person who even tried to question that act was Karna.
In the infamous hall of dice a woman cries out for justice. Not to disrobe her. Asking her husband how he could place her as a bet. Asking the elders is it dharma to disrobe her. No one gave her solace. Krishna had to come.
yes Ram's path is ideal, but it application you need direction which Arjun got from Krishna. And we should get from conscience according to the situation. Ram showed how to live as a human. Krishna most probably has shown how to apply it according to the situation. Because in Kaliyug you don't have Dasrath, you don't have bharath, you don't have Laxman. You have people worse than dussasan, worse than Shakuni. And these are the people you need to deal with. So application matters.
And please don't tell Krishna gave moral gyan. He has not asked Arjun to do anything he himself has not done. If he asked Arjun to shoot arrows at his cousins, he himself killed his uncle who was doing adharma.
He asked people to worship Govardhan, and when Indra's wrath came he gave them shelter under govardhan.
If he took Rukmini from marriage mandap, he allowed Subhadra to go with the man she loved. And above all he took accountability for all actions in his war by taking the curse from Gandhari smilingly. He defended Arjun and thus established Dharma.
For me to understand Krishna's actions , I am trying to understand Ram's path. Because in that path lies the secret of Krishna Leela's
Because Ram is Maryada purushottam, but Krishna is called Poornavatar.

Yes, here plays the yug. In treta, the king and the people both thought about the dharma on larger scale i.e dharma which remains same irrespective of frame whereas in dwapara, the same dharma was considered in smaller section i.e drona made the worst ever war plan to trap abhimanya but his dharma was being loyal to his king. I am not supporting the action of drona but this is the place where the vision of people differs. Yes, for arjun the war was not just revenge but to establish the dharm in world, whereas for bhisma and drona to stand for their kingdom even after knowing the truth.
Lord Krishna exactly followed what he preached. It is the utmost difficult task. For me that's why he is poornavatar.

Coming to current scenario, yes we dont have any more noble people to think them as our guide. Hence I strongly feel, we just cant follow all the words of Ram in practice in today's life. We should be trained both internally and externally to filter the right approach for kaliyug.

Actually these words " A veena without strings, chariot without wheels won't make sense. Without her husband, a woman can't lead happy life even though she have 100 sons" is not acceptable for me. So I mean these kind of practice can be revisited.
Edited by Ramyalaxmi - 8 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Ramya again the same principle applies there. You should not look at literal meaning. But you have to look at the relation of Ram and Sita. They were so connected by body, mind and soul and for Sita to be separated from a man like Ram was what she told. Shakthi is part of Shiva. Her identity comes to fore with Shiva.
But who is Shiva is the biggest question in Kaliyug. How do you identify Shiva? How do you identify Ram? in Kaliyug. What Sita said is true only for such men. Not for every man, half of them maybe Mahishasur themselves whom Shakthi has to destroy.
What is said in Tetrayug is the right theory. But its application has to change from yug to yug as you rightly pointed out. What I am trying to see from the show is application in Kaliyug.
So the verses of Ramayan has to looked from the perspective of the relation they embodied and how that relation was at that time. You have to look at the actions in the relation with respect to the words spoken. Not just the relation per se is my take.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago