"Sitayaah Charitam Mahaan"

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago
Did you all know that in Valmiki Ramayana, during the sarga where Luv and Kush narrate the Ramayana to everyone in Raja Ram's darbaar, Ram tells his courtiers to pay attention and listen to this story of Sita. He says "Sitayaah Charitam Mahaan" which means "this story of Sita is great".

Ramayana was always about Ram and Sita. In fact, Ram calls it the story of Sita, because without her he is incomplete. This verse in itself proves his love for her!

http://www.valmikiramayan.net/utf8/baala/sarga4/bala_4_frame.htm

|

|| --

35. imau munii paarthiva lakshaNa anvitau = these two, saints, kingly, features, possessing; kushii lavau cha eva maha tapasvinau = Kusha, Lava, also, thus, great, hermits; mamaa api tat bhuuti karam = to me, also, that, good fortune, endowing; mahanubhaavam charitam prachakshyate = the great efficacious, legend, they tell; nibodhata = listen it.

"These two saint-like Kusha and Lava, who also possess kingly features, but they are great hermits... this narration is endowing good fortune to me also, listen to that great efficacious legend [of Seetha...]" [So said Rama to those courtiers.] [1-4-35]

Here Rama tells that this legend is 'efficacious' for it is the legend of Seetha, and should it be Rama's alone, he will get the blemish of self-glorification, aatma prashamsaa doSa , and brave heroes of legends cannot be subjected to such a blemish. And to listen to the legend of his dearest, who at present is not with him, gives a kind of consolation, and thus he is asking all of us to listen to siitaayaH caritam mahaan ...

Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

suhaaana thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 8 years ago
i didn't knew it Di
glad to know this new info