Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago
@MagadhSundari thank you so much for providing the link :)
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

I don't expect them to follow only Valmiki Ramayan. I know they'll follow other versions also and I like many stories from other versions, but stories like Sita questioning Gautam rishi are highly debatable because Sita Ma would never show disrespect towards a Guru by questioning his character.

I think DevDutt Patnaik just added this story because it was shown in BR Chopra's Ramayan, but BR Chopra's Ramayan had a bunch of fiction itself so the validity of this story is highly debatable.

I think they are showing this to show Maa Sita's strong personality...like they were promoting Maa Sita as strong,knowledgeable,independent...who know what is right and what is wrong...so to show that they are showing Maa Sita questioning Gautam Rishi's wrong doing..( and yes I believe that what he did was completely wrong..and even in DKDM they also showed that he was wrong )...
JilyPotter thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
I have learned that the more modern retelling take information from everywhere to make a more dense and convoluted plot line. It might be to get more episodes out, or make the audience question what they know.
And now about the content they are showing. I won't comment until I see the actually episode to see how the scene actually plays out.
Edited by .Regal. - 8 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Let me put 2 things. First it is not right to tell you cannot question Guru. You have a right to question anyone whether your parent, teacher or any authority. The only thing that needs to be looked into while questioning is that, you should not disrespect other's POV. Your question should be to understand a concept, or understand why such an action happened. It should not be for finger pointing or blaming.
Because everyone tells the experience to the child, but the child has to see what they are telling in their actions also. If the actions doesn't tally with teachings the child has the right to question. Because if authority is not questioned, wrong is not questioned when position, authority and relation becomes a binding for adharma to flourish, if we don't teach our child to ask the right question at the right time how will the world change.
Second woman of Vedic age were given only royal history etc. No. Princess were taught rajneeti, warfare, and they were given every knowledge for them to be good Queens. And Queen was not supposed to be any arm candy. She offered guidance to king. She had her own powers and she used to know the conditions in the country the same way the king did. There were indepedant areas of work for her which she handled. Rajmatha and Rani were very prominent advisory positions at par with ministers.
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@ Shruthiravi : Yes , it's not wrong to question a guru and or your elders and there's nothing wrong if Sita had questioned Gautama rishi about ahalya's curse.. It's just that Sita asking Gautama rishi isn't mentioned in any literary sources. Gautama rishi wasn't her guru in direct sense, his sons were ( Shatananda and Cirakarii) not sure if Sita even met Gautama ..
Sita had a very informal education; for her it was like on the job training . Post marriage Kaushalya' also teaches her on duties of a wife, which Sita learns very religiously, even in exile she gets to learn so many things from rishis like bharadwaja, agastya et all just by observing ; her conversation with her great grandmother Anasuya is also a master piece

The guru shishya tradition in vedic age actually encouraged asking questions, in Upanishads we get to read several passionate debates between intellects . so basically they didn't stop learning, life for them was about gaining knowledge continuously
Didn't adi shankara gain knowledge from Shiva in form of chandala?
Kahoda the genius was humbled by a mere boy ashtavakra
Adi shankara himself humbled Mandana mishra , a seasoned scholar..
Regarding teaching politics/ rajneeti yes princess were taught as a part of interpersonal skills , actually why just princesses?
Manthara , Kaikeyi's maid is a seasoned legal advisor! She makes study of politics look so easy ,as though it came to her naturally.
Draupadi is a prime example of having learnt politics as a separate subject in her childhood , which she herself mentions in vana parva Mbh
Regarding teaching warfare , IMO , it depended on the individual aptitude of princesses that's why we find only few names mentioned viz., Kaikeyi, subhadra, chitrangada . I am talking only about princesses of epic age.

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
yes Maverick I also agree that learning is a life long process in our Vedic age and it should be right now also. Yes I also love Sita's conversation with Anasooya. Its a beauty. Hope the show shows it.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
Arshics thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
First of all thank you to the TM for making this thread that is so thought provoking.
There are a few questions that merit some thought

1. Could Sita have met Rishi Gautam - a question of timeline - historical aspect

2. Can the makers add a new anecdote to a mythological saga - creative license

Enrichment and evolution to suit changing times

3. Why is this twist needed here and now

I am going to try and answer these questions

1. If we look at Ramayana as a true story, and as history, true, Sita couldn't have met Rishi Gautam, but the story of Ahilya turning into stone, will not realistic, so we can see that the history is already tinged with myth

2. Even if in the versions existing till now, Sita never met Rishi Gautam, the mythological stories are not one time written. As they pass from generations to generations, they grow, they are added on and they re contextualised to satisfy the changing place and time and to adapt their listeners.

There are multiple versions and adaptations of these stories and they often adapt themselves. So I gues if the modern day presenters want to add a twist to the tale by making Sita meet Rishi Gautam, so be it.

3. As for Sita questioning Gautama - as maharani Sita who is maryada badhit, she couldn't have probably questioned the Rishi, but as a child, who is free spirited and brought up indulgently and liberally by her father, this Sita can surely ask these questions

As it is, she has a wisdom beyond her years and a sensitivity that is rare. For her to challenge Rishi Gautam thus would be very much in keeping with her nature. As it is it is believed that ma saraswati resides on the tongue of a child, so it would not offend Rishi Gautam or anyone else in anyway.

So likely nor not, an original part of the story or a modern twist, it will be good to see that someone at least challenged Rishi Gautam over his unfairness!

And it will establish Sita's character as an independent minded strong woman and not the docile all suffering woman she is often mistaken for

Edited by Arshics - 8 years ago
Morana thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Really enjoyed reading the different views and outputs of different people n relevant reference from various sources.
Personally I don't find it at all wrong to question one's guru. You should ask questions, with an explorative n open mind set , the key to knowledge itself lies in asking the right question. 😳 So I find nothing wrong in Maa Sita asking those questions to Rishi Gautam, I don't find it unfitting to her godly image or any thing. 😊
sambhavami thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

DI!!! I can't tell you how happy I am to see you after SOO long! *tears of happiness along with *
So, are you free? I mean, can I PM you?

sambhavami thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Janudi, even I thought the same way when I saw the title. I had heard that he had gone to heaven after cursing Ahalya, but he was definitely alive since, in my book, they say that Gautamji came down to bless Raam after he released Ahalya.
But then I saw Manali's post, ans I was like, I need greater knowledge on the time periods! So, I meet you again after reading up the excerpt provided by her and some more!
Till then, keep enjoying SKR!