Sita questioning Gautam Rishi is a blooper

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago
I am not questioning the intent behind the promo where Sita questions Gautam Rishi for cursing Ahalya, but the scene is actually a big blooper because as per the Ramayana, Gautam Rishi took samadhi and went to heaven right after cursing his wife. He had no wish to continue living because Ahalya was dear to him and the thought of her betraying him had hurt him deeply.

He was definitely NOT alive when Sita was born.

Don't know what research the producers have done. It seems like they brought Gautam Rishi back from the dead only to give Sita one more occasion to question something. -_-
Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@TM: Rightly pointed. I got confused when I saw the promo. It is usual that whoever is the main character the rest are subjected for distortion. They could have shown something wrt her guru character.
RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I found this link which states it is written in vishnupurana
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Thanks for sharing! I guess SKR took Vishnu Puraan over Valmiki for this story, because in Valmiki Gautam Rishi wasn't even alive when Sita was born.
RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

Thanks for sharing! I guess SKR took Vishnu Puraan over Valmiki for this story, because in Valmiki Gautam Rishi wasn't even alive when Sita was born.

Yes. I suppose
I always thought that Mahabharat is complex and Ramayan is simple. But now I know its equally complex
Glad to have people like you who have knowledge of the epic😊
P.S. just visited the discussion thread. Thanks for sharing the link of the different versions of Ramayan. It will be useful for meπŸ˜ƒ
Panoramic thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks for the info...
I thought he n ahalya united after lord Rama released her from curse... N they stayed in same ashram...

As Far as I know shatanand (son of gautam maharishi)was guru of sita...

Keeping blooper thing aside questioning ur guru is it right thing...?!

The way I imagined sita from whatever little knowledge i hv...Can't imagine valmiki sita saying so...don't know why...

Yes he did a mistake from that he has learnt that anger in not good...and One should think before saying something...
Whatever gautam learnt from his life he will tell sita as a guru...
That what happens in real life as well... whatever our guru, teachers hv learnt from their experience n mistakes they teach us...no point in questioning them..they did mistake now regretting n showing others right path... so that next generation doesn't commit the same mistake...That's how it goes on...

I still remember the part from kumarsambhavam written by kalidas ...where narad muni comes for parvati askhara abhayasa as guru...
Narad just says om n paravati starts chanting all vedas n Upanishads...That as how one should glorify n write about divine characters...Imo Makers should show something like this...

I actually loved sita janm n sita lifting shiv dhanush scene (except blooper part lol)
Even that whole Adi shakti sequence...

But questioning guru doesn't go well with valmiki sita we know of...who herself is Lakshmi incarnation...
I'll wait for episode ..to see how actually it plays out...maybe actual scene is different from promo...

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Actually, Vishnu Purana contains nothing of the sort. The only incarnations it covers in depth are Narasimha and Krishna. Ramayan is told in about 10 verses; not even including as much as a "highlights" reel let alone delving into childhood tales. Sita's origin is told within 1 line in Book 4 as part of the geneology of the the Surya and Chandra Vansh. The only other time she's mentioned is in the Ram avataar summary that basically states "he was born to Dashrath, he studied archery, he killed demons for Vishwamitra, they got married, she got abducted, he killed Ravan, they were reunited, and they had 2 kids."

You can refer to the following links which include complete translations; even the full Sanskrit text is available online. For what it's worth, I would advise caution in relying on blogs for the "real story" as much I would in relying on TV shows - they are written by people like you and I, and it's unbelievably easy to name your blogspot/tumblr/wordpress "Vishnupuran" or "THE REAL RAMAYAN" or whatever without the content living up to the title.

https://books.google.com/books?id=75i_m0AhOawC&pg=PR1&lpg=PR1&dq=vishnu+purana&source=bl&ots=hwWJok2kbH&sig=ip6HQkZBHTti0Q15F7liQ35ak_8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEoQ6AEwCDgUahUKEwiwp7uD15rJAhUGox4KHSKOBYQ#v=onepage&q=sita&f=false

http://ancientvoice.wikidot.com/article:vishnu-purana

http://hinduonline.co/Scriptures/Puranas/VishnuPurana.html

https://ia700402.us.archive.org/14/items/vishnupurnsyst02wils/vishnupurnsyst02wils.pdf

https://ia700401.us.archive.org/30/items/vishnupurnsyst01wils/vishnupurnsyst01wils.pdf

http://mandhataglobal.com/wp-content/custom/downloads/VishnuPurana.pdf
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
The link of Vishnu puran blogspot is about serial Vishnu puran by and not Vishnu puran the text. Sita questioning Gautama was shownin BRC's serial Vishnu puran
However Gautama doesn't take a samadhi or give up his life either. He takes to Himalaya for penance and this penance he undertakes to get rid of his anger .. Balkand VR chapter 48 mentions Gautama goes off to undertake a penance in Himalaya twice ; its ramcharitmanas which says Gautama died and ahalya went to patiloka after she was redeemed .
As far as Sita questioning Gautama goes, its not true ; her gurus include tapasvini Sulabha, Shatananda - the son of Gautama and Ahalya and other inmates of maithil royal household plus in the VR , Sita goes to Ayodhya quite early in life probably a child bride , though it's contested that vedic age didn't have child marriages. Even in Ayodhya Sita continues her education and is often in company of Vashishta's Dil who was her 'sakhi' so it was an informal learning .
The education of girls in vedic age was about knowing protocols of royal family,developing interpersonal skills ,- Oratory , listening to family history and about great men and women from kathavachakas/ Suta and home science!
(Excerpt from educational institutions in videha- yogendra mishra)

There are only couple of stories about Sita's childhood mentioned in skanda and Padma purana neither of them mentions Sita-Gautama conversation
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Janaki...the truth is they are not following Valmiki Ramayan only...they are actually following DevDutt Patnaik's research...Anirudh Patnaik is associated with the show too...so don't expect them to only follow Valmiki Ramayan...I understand this from DKDM..when we thought they are making stories we found some links where that story is mentioned...πŸ˜†
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: OtakuGirl-Debo

Janaki...the truth is they are not following Valmiki Ramayan only...they are actually following DevDutt Patnaik's research...Anirudh Patnaik is associated with the show too...so don't expect them to only follow Valmiki Ramayan...I understand this from DKDM..when we thought they are making stories we found some links where that story is mentioned...πŸ˜†

I don't expect them to follow only Valmiki Ramayan. I know they'll follow other versions also and I like many stories from other versions, but stories like Sita questioning Gautam rishi are highly debatable because Sita Ma would never show disrespect towards a Guru by questioning his character.

I think DevDutt Patnaik just added this story because it was shown in BR Chopra's Ramayan, but BR Chopra's Ramayan had a bunch of fiction itself so the validity of this story is highly debatable.