Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago
I'd just want to add that someone rightfully brought up Ahilya Uddhaar as evidence of Ram's regard for women which people tend to forget when misinterpreting other actions attributed to him. According to Valmiki Ramayan, Ahilya was not even fooled by Indra's guise - she knowingly had intercourse with him, and Ram still liberated her from her curse - not only that, he and Lakshman bowed down to her. So that's how much Ram cared about physical "purity" and any constructs surrounding it - per this text, he was merciful towards someone who was actually guilty, and yet people claim he doubted and punished the innocent.
MrsAkyurek thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
The Critical edition of the Valmiki Ramayana blatantly and openly condemns Ravana for his misdemeanors. He had kept Sita as a hostage in his harem...he couldn't touch her because of Sita's own doing not because he was not given the consent by her to go ahead with fulfilling his carnal urges. People also forget that he had acquired the boons from Lord Shiva for his own selfish reasons. As someone mentioned, it's become fashionable these days for many people to go against the tide to sound so cool. If anything, Ravan was the first super villain the world saw -- akin to Sherlock's Moriarty.
Edited by .Veritaserum - 8 years ago
HerFiction thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: xPalkix

There are so many interpretations and I think that's the key reason why people have different beliefs and opinions.

I was told that Ram never doubted Sita ever. The agnipariksha was just a way of getting the real Sita back. It wasn't to prove Sita was pure.
Ram always knew Ravan would kidnap Sita, the exact time and everything. So he had told Sita to make a shadowy figure of herself and asked Agni devta to take care of Sita until the war was over.
So Ravan never took the real Sita in the first place and to get Sita back, he had to make an agnipariksha.
However, people are always ready to point fingers at someone. A dhobhi did just that, she accused Sita of being impure. Ironic because a dhobhi is supposed to wash things pure.
Ram had to send Sita away because he couldn't see anyone point fingers at her.
So the whole point that Ram doubted Sita is baseless really.

this is something different but I heard something on a similar basis.
Ravan, as u said never kidnapped Sita in the first place but kidnapped another lady(forgot the name) who acted like Sita and she was the one who was in sri Lanka.
and because of this reason, Sita decided to get her marry her to ram in his another birth as RAM's birth is only for Sita.
am not sure, how much of it is true.

Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

I find worshiping Ravana is on the account that he was a great king and in ancient times kings were merely treated as god. In south Indian the navratri celebration is for 3 goddess and 10th day is actually vijayadhasami. But in north, during dussehra its the victory of Ram over Ravana. As we all know, following dussehra we celebrate deepavali which has different stories for north and south (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali).

I have the doubt here "For some, Diwali also celebrates the return of Pandavas after 12 years of Vanvas and one year of "Agyatavas" in Mahabharata (from the link), so does it mean that during dwapara yuga people didn't celebrate diwali for the cause of Ram's return to ayodhya after exile?πŸ˜•

We know about the story of jaya/vijaya and their three births as hiranyakahipu and hiranyaksha in krita yuga, Ravana and kumbhakarna in treta and shishupala and dhantavakra in dwapara yuga. So when the victory over other demons were not celebrated then what is the need of celebration for the victory over Ravana? All did wrong things and even shishupalan tried to marry rukmani. We always cherish the victory of good over bad, but why we don't have any special festival for other demons death?

So I feel out of all the 3 rebirths of dwarapalas, Ravana stands out just because he was good to his own people, great devotee of shiva, great warrior and wonderful musician. This may be the reason some still feel for Ravana. (Don't misunderstand that I am a devotee of Ravana πŸ˜‰. I am simply trying to dig out the possible explanation for the people act).😊

Possibly, if people have not started celebrating festival on the victory over Ravana like other demon rebirth of jaya/vijaya, some may not be worshiping Ravana too.πŸ˜†πŸ˜‰

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I'd also like to point out one more thing about Ravan in regards to his behavior towards Sita.

As per Valmiki Ramayan, Ravan never touched Sita in the ashok vatika not because of any chivalry or gentlemanly feelings towards her, but because of Nalkubera's curse. Long before Sita's abduction, Ravan defeated his half-brother Kubera in the heavens and stole the pushpak vimaan (aerial chariot) from him. While travelling through Kubera's kingdom, Ravan sees Rambha, Kubera's daughter-in-law and the wife of Nalkubera, Kubera's son. Overwhelmed by lust, Ravan proposes marriage to her and she rebukes him saying she is like his daughter-in-law in relation, since he's Kubera's half-brother. But Ravan denies her claim and rapes her on the spot, leaving after deriving his pleasure. Rambha runs to Nalkubera and tells him everything that happened. Furious over Ravan's disgusting deed, Nalkubera curses him that if he ever forces himself on a woman again, his head will break into seven pieces and he will die on the spot. Ravan learns about this curse, and it is this curse that prevents him from forcing himself on a woman again.

Ravan still abducted many women afterwards, but he seduced them and they eventually came to him willingly. Sita was the first and only woman who was not impressed by Ravan's wealth and glory.

So Ravan not molesting Sita is not because of his greatness. It's because of the protection Nalkubera's curse gave her.
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

I'd also like to point out one more thing about Ravan in regards to his behavior towards Sita.

As per Valmiki Ramayan, Ravan never touched Sita in the ashok vatika not because of any chivalry or gentlemanly feelings towards her, but because of Nalkubera's curse. Long before Sita's abduction, Ravan defeated his half-brother Kubera in the heavens and stole the pushpak vimaan (aerial chariot) from him. While travelling through Kubera's kingdom, Ravan sees Rambha, Kubera's daughter-in-law and the wife of Nalkubera, Kubera's son. Overwhelmed by lust, Ravan proposes marriage to her and she rebukes him saying she is like his daughter-in-law in relation, since he's Kubera's half-brother. But Ravan denies her claim and rapes her on the spot, leaving after deriving his pleasure. Rambha runs to Nalkubera and tells him everything that happened. Furious over Ravan's disgusting deed, Nalkubera curses him that if he ever forces himself on a woman again, his head will break into seven pieces and he will die on the spot. Ravan learns about this curse, and it is this curse that prevents him from forcing himself on a woman again.

Ravan still abducted many women afterwards, but he seduced them and they eventually came to him willingly. Sita was the first and only woman who was not impressed by Ravan's wealth and glory.

So Ravan not molesting Sita is not because of his greatness. It's because of the protection Nalkubera's curse gave her.

yes absolutely and moreover Ravana was not able to touch sita while kidnapping her. He just lifted the entire land with sita.
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Ramyalaxmi

yes absolutely and moreover Ravana was not able to touch sita while kidnapping her. He just lifted the entire land with sita.

I too have this story but not the whole. I nean I knew about the curse but wasn't aware of the real reason. Thanks for the information.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

The story of Ravan lifting the Earth and never touching Sita is from the tamil Kamban Ramayan. In Valmiki Ramayan, he actually lifts Sita with his hands and carries her away. Here are the verses from the direct translation.

15b, 16. su duSTa aatmaa = verily, evil, minded [Ravana]; kaama mohitaH = by lust, maddened; raakshasaH raavaNaH = that demon, Ravana; priya [vacana] arhaam = for nice, [words,] proper one - to talk to; priya vaadiniim = nice, talker; maithiliim = to Maithili; vaakyam iti uktvaa = words, this way, on saying; abhi gamya = nigh, drawing - approaching her; khe budhaH rohiNiim iva = in firmament, Budha - the Jupiter, with Rohini, as with; siitaam jagraaha = Seetha, he grabbed.

On saying that sentence to Maithili, who by herself is a nice talker and who is a proper one for addressing with nice words, that verily evil-minded demon Ravana maddened by lust drew nigh of Seetha and grabbed her, as Budha, the Jupiter grabs the Star Rohini in firmament. [3-49-15b, 16]

What happened to the lakshmaNa rekha? 'A boundary drawn by Lakshmana when he departed Seetha in search of Rama?' Some discussion about this is there in the endnote. Here, even though Ravana is su duSTa aatmaa, kaama mohitaa 'a very wicked souled and lustily crazed...' it is all for other women, but not towards Seetha. And thus he caught hold of Seetha, as the planet Budha, Jupiter, the son of Moon catches his own Star mother Rohini, a dear wife the Moon, reverentially. Maheshvara Tiirtha. Later commentators rejected this saying that, if it were to be so, then Ravana has Oedipus complex.

17. saH = he; padma akSiim siitaam = lotus, eyed, at Seetha; vaamena kareNa eva muurdhajeSu = with left, hand, thus, head-hair; dakSiNena paaNinaa uurvoH tu = with right, hand, thighs, but; parijagraaha = grabbed.

He that Ravana grabbed the lotus-eyed Seetha on lifting her up with his left hand at her plait of hair at nape, and with his right hand at her thighs. [3-49-17]

18. mR^ityu sankaasham = Death, one similar to; tiikSNa damSTram = one with incisive, fangs; mahaa bhujam = mightily, armed one; giri shR^inga aabham = mountain, crest, in shine; tam dR^iSTvaa = him [who grabbed Seetha,] on seeing; vana devataaH = forest, deities; bhaya aartaa = by terrorism, terrorised; praadravan = quickly fled.

On seeing him who grabbed Seetha, who has incisive fangs, mightily armed and who is shining forth like a mountain crest and similar to Death, the forest deities quickly fled away terrorised by his terrorism. [3-49-18]

Panoramic thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I find worshiping Ravana is on the account that he was a great king and in ancient times kings were merely treated as god. In south Indian the navratri celebration is for 3 goddess and 10th day is actually vijayadhasami. But in north, during dussehra its the victory of Ram over Ravana. As we all know, following dussehra we celebrate deepavali which has different stories for north and south (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali).

I have the doubt here "For some, Diwali also celebrates the return of Pandavas after 12 years of Vanvas and one year of "Agyatavas" in Mahabharata (from the link), so does it mean that during dwapara yuga people didn't celebrate diwali for the cause of Ram's return to ayodhya after exileπŸ˜•

See actually after two months of monsoon ...shravana n bhardrapada... They actually made strategy for searching sita...

As far I know ..Hanuman had set out for Seeta's search after Ashwin masa as he himself says in Kishkindha ...

And meets sita pushya masa...

there after Hanuman's return ... from kishkinda to Lanka took almost 1to 1.5 months...

War actually happened in phalgun masa...ie February March...

So I seriously hv no idea from where this diwali dusshera celebration in ashwin masa for Rama victory came from...maybe later ppl chose this date to celebrate ram victory...
But as per text ..its different...

Ramyalaxmi thumbnail

The story of Ravan lifting the Earth and never touching Sita is from the tamil Kamban Ramayan. In Valmiki Ramayan, he actually lifts Sita with his hands and carries her away. Here are the verses from the direct translation.

15b, 16. su duSTa aatmaa = verily, evil, minded [Ravana]; kaama mohitaH = by lust, maddened; raakshasaH raavaNaH = that demon, Ravana; priya [vacana] arhaam = for nice, [words,] proper one - to talk to; priya vaadiniim = nice, talker; maithiliim = to Maithili; vaakyam iti uktvaa = words, this way, on saying; abhi gamya = nigh, drawing - approaching her; khe budhaH rohiNiim iva = in firmament, Budha - the Jupiter, with Rohini, as with; siitaam jagraaha = Seetha, he grabbed.

On saying that sentence to Maithili, who by herself is a nice talker and who is a proper one for addressing with nice words, that verily evil-minded demon Ravana maddened by lust drew nigh of Seetha and grabbed her, as Budha, the Jupiter grabs the Star Rohini in firmament. [3-49-15b, 16]

What happened to the lakshmaNa rekha? 'A boundary drawn by Lakshmana when he departed Seetha in search of Rama?' Some discussion about this is there in the endnote. Here, even though Ravana is su duSTa aatmaa, kaama mohitaa 'a very wicked souled and lustily crazed...' it is all for other women, but not towards Seetha. And thus he caught hold of Seetha, as the planet Budha, Jupiter, the son of Moon catches his own Star mother Rohini, a dear wife the Moon, reverentially. Maheshvara Tiirtha. Later commentators rejected this saying that, if it were to be so, then Ravana has Oedipus complex.

17. saH = he; padma akSiim siitaam = lotus, eyed, at Seetha; vaamena kareNa eva muurdhajeSu = with left, hand, thus, head-hair; dakSiNena paaNinaa uurvoH tu = with right, hand, thighs, but; parijagraaha = grabbed.

He that Ravana grabbed the lotus-eyed Seetha on lifting her up with his left hand at her plait of hair at nape, and with his right hand at her thighs. [3-49-17]

18. mR^ityu sankaasham = Death, one similar to; tiikSNa damSTram = one with incisive, fangs; mahaa bhujam = mightily, armed one; giri shR^inga aabham = mountain, crest, in shine; tam dR^iSTvaa = him [who grabbed Seetha,] on seeing; vana devataaH = forest, deities; bhaya aartaa = by terrorism, terrorised; praadravan = quickly fled.

On seeing him who grabbed Seetha, who has incisive fangs, mightily armed and who is shining forth like a mountain crest and similar to Death, the forest deities quickly fled away terrorised by his terrorism. [3-49-18]

Nice explanation. Thank you for more details. Yes, I quoted as in Kambar Ramayan. But seriously I wonder how a man/asura with evil desire can actually touch a women of pure soul (goddess in human form)? Is it true that sita underwent this problem due to the curse of naradh?