Kriya vs. Pratikriya

13thwish thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
"What actions have you taken?" the teacher asked.
"My kingdom has been enduring several years of drought and famine, " he sighed.. "and I have made every imaginable effort to find the solution.." he cried... "what more can I possibly do?" he sighed, exhausted..
"Are those really your actions?" the teacher reiterated.. "or are they merely your reactions to the situation?"
What then is the essential difference between the two?
Action stems from inspiration.. reactions from desperation.. actions seek to create.. reactions seek to fix.. actions are free of the burden of expectation.. reactions carry the weight of being considered solutions..
On a day-to-day basis, what is our life more filled with? Actions or reactions? In every moment, are we expending more energy reacting to the circumstances/events that surround us, or we marching to the beat of our drum, circumstances be damned?
If most of our life falls into the former category, then can we truly consider ourselves free?
We often think of "faith" as an abstract concept.. some vague philosophical tenet not even remotely connected to "real" life..
But what if faith were neither abstract nor a theoretical concept?
What if faith is concrete action wrapped in self-conviction? What if in that journey of a thousand miles, faith is taking the first step? What if faith is getting to the bus stop simply expecting the bus to be there? What if faith is studying for an exam while knowing that only what you've studied will be asked? What if faith is ploughing a barren field with a golden plough, assured that the rain will come?
This is our perpetual choice. Of two kings, one with a prosperous kingdom yet a heart full of worry and the other with nothing but faith, who is more content?
Therefore, in every moment of everyday, which king do we want to be? And once decided, when that moment of crises arrives, can we remember and hold on to that choice?
No wonder, "action" is our ultimate duty and purpose. Because simply choosing to act, and not react, makes all the difference..
#pensive13th
#randomrambles

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Wonderful post👏
what a deep analysis
Got me thinking😃
aaliah3108 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Wow. Such a lovely philosophical take on what we do, what we choose to do and what we do not . Loved it. If we go by Newton's law... It says every action has an equal and opposite reaction but it is not wrong to say that a reaction is spurred by another action only. Both are in one's own control. Every situation will give u a chance to act or react, what we do is how it gets named as.

Faith can just be as small as a fact that God will look after us, he listens to us or there is God really.

The way a baby finds solace in his/her mom's lap is faith too. It can be in any form.

The story of the two kings here is being presented in a very unconventional way which is why I'm liking it. Otherwise I know Ramayana in and out.
It is interesting to understand or look at things from someone else's pov for a change.

Edited by aaliah3108 - 8 years ago
deepsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Beautiful thoughts!!
Lovely post👏
RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Very beautifully analysed
Loved the way you have given the description
And everything stated in your post is true
Thanks for making this post
Muggle_Diaries thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Lovely thoughts...😊
Love
Kshithi
HerFiction thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
beautiful analysis. I have not been on any myth forum till now and this forum is giving me goosebumps with the posts I see and each post is unique in it's own way.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Wonderful post. Actually you summed up the essence of Bhagavad Gita. The symbolism of Gita represents Arjun does the action and Krishna sets the direction of action.
And Action without direction is aimless and direction without action is useless. So our conscience or the voice of God constantly gives us direction. It is for us whether to take that direction and do action. If we do that we will be able to bring a positive change.
HeyDeviMaiyya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Very thought provoking analysis. Lovely post😊
13thwish thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@ALL (but especially the ones who made that extra effort to like or to drop a kind word): Thank you for the warm response and encouragement.. I'm glad my post caught your interest, it was intended to be a midnight ramble by a recluse, but if it entertained, I could not be more honored😳
@Aaliah: Yes, Newton's law is applicable to everything in this universe (including humans), but what sets us apart is our mind.. unlike everything else, our ability to think allows us to choose.. do we want our action to come as a reaction to some event/circumstance or do we want our actions to be a product of our own instincts.. for example, in Janak's situation, most of us would never consider ploughing a barren field because we would be more interested in trying to find a "practical' solution to our problems.. only when we realize that our actions need not be aimed toward achieving a specific outcome but rather for the satisfaction of performing the action alone, then we are set free.. this is true action without the bondage of expectation..
I have deliberately avoided associating faith with God or the supernatural because I feel that this would narrow the confines of it's definition..
Whether one is religious, spiritual, atheist or agnostic, faith has always been accessible to all.. simply because it is a way of being, a state of mind, a choice.. do we want to live a conditional or an unconditional life? this is the only answer that can influence the quality of our life.. and therefore the only answer that matters..
@Shruthiravi: Hmmm yes, there are parallels with the Gita's philosophy because ultimately all avenues lead to the same goal of course.. freedom..
direction and action are entwined true.. the problem begins however, when we start to label this action/direction as "right" and "wrong" or "useful" and "wasteful" or "good" and "bad" ...these definitions restrict us and then we get stuck trying to find the "correct" way of living/being/doing..
this is why I want to emphasize the importance of directing action based on what feels good to us instinctively and not on what we think should/need/must be done..
Let's just try and live our lives with lesser thought and more heart.. there cannot be anything more positive or blissful than that..