Chapter 2-  Page 3
Chapter 3 - Page 6
Chapter 4 - Page 8

Edited by -JujuK - 8 years ago
Jujuk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago

Chapter 1:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. "Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (1813)

Everything gets better with coffee.

Even if it does not, I have little to no choice because by the time another morsel of food runs down my esophagus I will probably on board my flight back home. Even the thought of going back sends a shiver down my spine. It has been a little over year since I last went back, though when I left I didn't intent upon returning this early. Not that it was my call to make, but I had anticipated that my family would be gladdened at the prospect of keeping a vast geographical distance with us for the next few years.

Disgust gave way to delight, as I scurried through the crowd of people pushing, shoving and shouting, towards the small coffee shop at the end of the junction. It's a small cozy shop with a country side feel to it. The Kummels are the most adorable pair of oldies; you must really have a heart of stone to be immune to their charm. I wonder if it's their ambrosial behavior or their much talked about love story, that's earned their caf a strong local following, although nothing beyond that geography. Their fairy tale love story makes me ponder whether star crossed lovers can really have a happy ending, but I guess they were just a lucky pair, after all Mr. Kummel was notorious for his philandering ways and devastating good looks. I wouldn't blame Ms. Kummel, having fallen prey to this rou decided to take the plunge and escape from her own wedding with the city district's mayor. She is a brave soul, otherwise, who in their right mind would even dare to abscond on her wedding day under the prying eyes of the powerful and well-known members of the city and the media. The after math of her decision wasn't easy but at least she is happy. She might not have all the luxuries the mayor could offered her, but the satisfied smile on her face suggests it was all worth it. If I were ever in her position I doubt I would have ever mustered the courage to even dash my eye lid in front of my family, let alone run away with a man who could hardly make ends meet.

But Ms. Kummel loved him and I wont, so I guess it's just stupid to even think about such a scenario. My life is different from Ms. Kummels, although we both were raised in politically influential and socially powerful families, I have never had the freedom Ms. Kummels enjoyed as a young adult. My family has always controlled the reigns of my life; and I guess I have learned to live with this fate.

Stepping into the coffee shop, I was welcomed by a warm blanket of air that envelopes me in the rich aromas of fresh coffee and baked goods. The Kummels have been like a family to me in this past year and I find it hard to imagine my morning with their French croissants and Caf Au Lait. It's almost become a morning ritual for me to run down the block to grab my morning breakfast. I looked around but couldn't spot either of the two today, instead I saw Jake walk down the counter with my usual order; the same goofy smile playing on his face as he handed me my tray. Good Morning, Jeevika!'

Morning Jake. Just what I needed.' I said taking the tray from his hands. It was around eleven in the morning and people were beginning to leave the bistro.  Kummels served freshly baked confectionery, with a wide range of options to choose from Danish pastries to gourmet pies accompanied with freshly brewed coffee or tea. They do serves fried eggs and omelets from six to ten in the morning, but I've never tried them because I usually come in around eleven when the caf is about to close, so they can prepare for tea time. The caf came to life during the tea time, when people returning from the nearby financial district hop in for a warm cup of coffee and catch on the televised news or sports event.

Jake, I wanted to tell you something.'  Jake looked up from the table he was wiping and smiled signaling me to continue. The thing is I am going back home today, in fact I'm leaving for the airport now.' Jake stopped his work focusing all his attention to what I had to say. I know, I said I'm not going to go back, at least not this soon. I wasn't even expecting my parents to call me back, but its my uncle's sixtieth birthday and there is a huge celebration.'

But you'll come back after that,' he stated with a shadow of doubt visible in his tone; his statement sounding more like a question.

I don't know.' I sighed. Things are complicated back there and I can't say for certain when I'll be back; I might not. It depends on my family. I just got a call from Dakota that I am required to come back tonight because next week is Uncle's birthday and the celebrations will be starting from tomorrow. Guests from all over the world will be attending the party, with the national and international media covering it. Its going to be a monumental event with businessmen, industrialists, politicians, royals and the who's who in attendance. I would like to believe Dakota that it's just a festivity, but I know there is more to it than this. They wouldn't spend millions on festivities when the country is going through such a political turmoil and we're in desperate need for investment.'

May be, its to get support and subsequently funds. I mean come to think about it logically so many bigwigs wont be there for just the cake.'  He said with a shrug. And anyways how does relate to you not coming back?'

Yea, may be I am just over thinking it. But things aren't as simple as they seem, when you are part of a royal family. Our life is a freaking rule book. We have things penned down for us, keeping in mind what would be best for the family and the business. In Post independence India we no longer rule the states but India's economic growth has enabled enterprising royal families like us to re-establish our wealth. So, although we do not rule the place we still have very powerful and influential position in the state, enjoying almost the same status we have for the past several years. Add to that our businesses which provide bread and butter to huge part of the population, and you have it - people literally treating our family with the same respect and honor. The problem is that I know that due to the recent change in the government taxation policy our businesses have started to face the chill wind and are in dire need for investment. Actually the current governor of the state has some major political differences with our family; it's an age old enmity which is taking an ugly turn and although uncle has time and again tried to resolve the problem it is not working out. I have a feeling Uncle will try to topple the government or may be announce his political ambitions. And in that case I doubt they'll allow me to come back; considering there will be a lot of work.'

But what about your dream? You were here to become a writer. What about that?' Jake seemed anxious and concerned. He really wanted me to become a writer and pursue my passion. Jake was a literature student as well, who worked part time at the caf. A pragmatic yet affectionate person, Jake has always helped motivate me to write, playing an instrumental role in my life in the little time I've known him. I remember the first time we talked. It was a slow morning with few people and I remember having a lengthy conversation with him when he saw me sitting and writing drafts for my book. That conversation changed me. It made me realized just how contained I've been all my life, trying to live by the rulebook. Since then he has always been there for me- helping me write and edit my drafts.

Today I feel like the same person I was when I first met you. I've no answers to your questions, but I promise you I wont stop writing.  Its about time I leave for the airport. Are the Kummels around?'

Jake sighed. I really hope you keep that one...' he said patting my shoulder. Ah. I'm afraid no! They haven't been here for the past two days. Macy was telling me they are out of town for a niece's wedding. I can give them your message though.'

That would be very kind. Give my love to them, Macy, Stacy and Greg as well. I love you guys and thank you for being the wonderful family to me during my stay here. I'll email you about my whereabouts.'

You better!' he said in the most threatening tone he could muster. Take care of yourself and come back soon.'

I raced back to my apartment and quickly changed my clothes, readying myself for the long journey back home. Thinking about it positively, at least I can sleep peacefully for 12 hours while a fly in a giant metal tube forty thousand feet above the ground. The though of sleep made me yawn. I glanced outside the long glass window of my taxi at the bright sunny day, almost a rarity in the queer sanctity of this town; especially ever since I have stepped foot on this soil.

A sweet nervousness crept up my cardiac muscles when the driver announced we were nearing the airport. I was going home. 

Comments/ feedback welcomed. 

Connect with me on Twitter: @sightbasis

Riddhi_S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
😊

It's Brilliant. Loved The First Chapter. I Can't Wait To See How It Unfolds. 

Eager To See How You Unfold The Plot With Every Update. The Concept Is Knew. And Refreshing. So Glad That You're Writing Another Story On Virika! ❤️

Your One Shots 'In Bed' And 'Sign These Papers'  Have been My Favorite. I've Lost Count How Many Times I've Read It. And 'Destiny' Too Was Fabulously Written. So Different. I Hope 'A Royal Affair' Turns Out To Be Just As Amazing. Nah Scratch That, More Amazing! 😃

You're A Fabulous Writer. 😃 

Update Soon. 😛
Edited by RiddhiShetye - 8 years ago
13toobaf thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
omg that is very good
want to see viren now
plz continue

KryanVirikaLuv thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

Well hellooo look what we have here! 😃

I'm anticipating a beautifully-written Virika story just from this opening chapter
Seriously, you're a fabulous writer ❤️
I really enjoyed reading this and I'm looking forward to seeing how this story will plot out
It seems pretty refreshing & different
I'm guessing this might be a P&P crossover?
Well, whether it is or isn't, I'm super excited to see what you, the writer, has in store for us
in "A Royal Affair"
Please do send me a pm when you update next 😊
kryanvirika05 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
i love the start! 
it sounds very interesting and i cant wait to read more!
continue soon :)
sushmakryan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
awesome update loved it loved the whole update
Riddhi_S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Unreserved My Comment 😃

First One!  
shobrakapooor thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Oh myyy!! My Juju darling is back... feels sooo good to read your work again after a long tym! :) 
Such a refreshing concept.  Excited to read further. Welcome back, love! :D