Exclusive chat with Ashish Sharma on his upcoming show

Thushi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

You have to look desirable if you are playing a mythological character says Ashish Sharma of Siya Ke Ram fame

Mon, November 16, 2015 8:20am IST by Urmimala Banerjee
You have to look desirable if you are playing a mythological character says Ashish Sharma of Siya Ke Ram fame

BollywoodLife chats exclusively with Ashish Sharma aka Rudra of Rangrasiya fame as he gets set to wow viewers with his role of Lord Rama in Siya Ke Ram

Ashish Sharma's unconventional projection of a romantic hero in Rangrasiya had women swooning over him (not to mention the shirtless shot!). The handsome hunk is back in a divine avatar as Lord Rama in the lavish mythological show, Siya Ke Ram that goes on air tonight. Playing God is no mean feat explains Ashish in an exclusive interview with BollywoodLife. Excerpts...

Women lusted after you in Rangrasiya. You are back on TV as Lord Ram. Do you feel it will affect your fan base as this is a mythological show?
No...I have no apprehensions. I am an actor and want to do as many diverse roles as possible. When Nikhil Sinha narrated the script to me, he was crystal clear in his vision. I loved his perspective and how they were going to project Lord Rama. I am very excited about the show.

Siya Ke Ram explores the relationship between Lord Ram and Sita. Did this different take on the classic Ramayan impact your decision?
Yes...Ramayana has been made for TV many times. This is one aspect that has been overlooked. Though he was a God, Lord Rama came to earth in form of a human being and had his own personal journey. This has been overlooked in the previous version of the Ramayana. Our story talks about how Sita was instrumental in making Ram a God.

What kind of research has gone into the project?
The writing team has put in a lot of efforts. I only read Valmiki's Ramayana before the start of the shoot as I felt reading too many versions could affect my impression of the character. I wanted to be as neutral as possible. Devdutt Pattanaik is the creative consultant for the project. The show is written by two eminent writers Anand Neelakantan and Subrat Sinha.

What kind of preparation did you put in for the role?
I believe an actor has to look the part first. People will accept him only if they envision him and physicality comes into play. I worked hard on my body by doing a combination of workouts. Then, I requested the makers to give me four to six months to grow my hair. I just hate fake hair and it looks very silly on screen. I also learnt archery for the role. Ram was a warrior prince and it took me around seven months to get ready.

And what about the character's mental makeup...
After looking the part, it was about understanding the character's psyche. Since Ram was a God, he always radiated a sense of inner peace. I started meditating on a regular basis to bring that tranquility on my face. It was tough for me to build such a routine but things fell into place.

The mythological heroes on Indian television are real hotties. Do you think women want their Gods to be desirable?
I feel every character on TV needs to look desirable, whether it's a man or a woman. Or else, why would people tune on their TVs to see them every day? Moreover, Indian Gods have been given certain physical attributes in ancient texts, which make them very desirable for example- Lord Rama is lotus-eyed one. And if that's the case, you have to look appealing.

Finite shows are coming on TV. Do you see that as a heartening trend for actors?
Well, the only long-running shows on TV are ones that were launched four to five years back. No new show has continued for more than one or two years. That is the current pattern. When there is a definite script in place, a show's quality can improve, which is good for every actor.

You said that film producers look upon popular TV actors as sasta jugaad. Comment
Every TV actor who is slightly popular gets film offers. A producer also knows that he is a household name and can add value to a project. While I agree that cinema is a bigger platform but TV stars have their own position. Talking about popularity, TV as a medium is equally big as films. Or else, why would every top actor take up projects on television. For me, a film role has to be one that excites me or enhances me as an actor. I would not like to spend time doing a film project that does not convince me when I know I can get better work on TV.

Post Rangrasiya and Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, you were on a long break. Don't you suffer from insecurity issues?
My upbringing gives me my sense of security. My desires are not my needs. As long as I live with this mantra, I won't be insecure. I believe that my talent won't fail me.

You are shooting in Hyderabad. Is it tough being away from Archana (wife)?
Yeah...it is little tough to manage time but she's an actress and knows the demands of the profession. I do miss her and my three puppies terribly. Whenever I get two-three days off, I come back to Mumbai to be with her. In Hyderabad, we are housed in Ramoji City only. Let's see, in the future, we might rent out a place in Hyderabad but it's too early now.

http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/you-have-to-look-desirable-if-you-are-playing-a-mythological-character-says-ashish-sharma-of-siya-ke-ram-fame/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=bollywood

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

darkchocolates thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for sharing.
Nice interview.
Very much excited. Can't wait!!!!
Faerydae thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Always love your honesty ashish..
Love you loads!!
Tfs Thushi darling πŸ€—
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Lovely IV it is
Balanced and sensible answers
Just like Ashish himselfπŸ˜‰
tfs da PartuπŸ˜ƒ
aarvi18 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
As usual candid replies by Sharma ji.
Thanks Sush dear πŸ€—
CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks Thushu 😊
Loved the IV

Madhu_4u thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Lovely IV πŸ˜ƒ

Women lusted after you in Rangrasiya. You are back on TV as Lord Ram. Do you feel it will affect your fan base as this is a mythological show?

Not at all Ashu.😳
Those who lusted opps loved πŸ˜‰ u in RR will continue to do the same now also 😳 πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

varshu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Madhu_4u

Lovely IVπŸ˜ƒ

Not at all Ashu.😳
Those who lusted opps loved πŸ˜‰u in RR will continue to do the same now alsoπŸ˜³πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† I agree, Madhu..
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Madhu_4u

Lovely IV πŸ˜ƒ

Not at all Ashu.😳
Those who lusted opps loved πŸ˜‰ u in RR will continue to do the same now also 😳 πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

And Madhu will lead the list🀣
Madhu_4u thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Mano-

And Madhu will lead the list🀣

how can u forget my sakhi shruti πŸ˜‰
we together will πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

koi shak 😳
Edited by Madhu_4u - 8 years ago