#AwardWapsi: Anupam Kher and Madhur Bhandarkar criticise their peers

SH7_Sunny thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago
Veteran actor Anupam Kher and director Madhur Bhandarkar slammed filmmakers like Dibakar Banerjee and Anand Patwardhan for returning their National Awards. Banerjee and nine other filmmakers announced that they were returning their National Awards to express solidarity with the agitating FTII students and protest the growing instances of intolerance in the country.  Kher, 60, whose wife Kirron Kher is a BJP MP from Chandigarh, termed the group of directors "Award Wapsi Gang". "Some more usual suspects, who never wanted @narendramodi to become PM in d first place have joined the #AwardWapsi gang. Jai Ho," he tweeted.

"Some of these usual suspects of #AwardWapsiGang were instrumental in getting me out of Censor Board the moment Congress came in power. #Agenda." The actor said the filmmakers have insulted the National Awards jury and the audience, who watches their films. 

"This #AwardWapsiGang has not insulted the Govt but The Jury, The Chairman of the Jury and the audience who watched their films. #Agenda," he posted.
Bhandarkar, who himself holds many National Awards for his work on films like "Chandni Bar", "Page 3" and "Traffic Signal", said the filmmakers' move is an "insult" to the people behind a film and the Indian President, who hands out the coveted trophies every year. "National award is given to an individual for the appreciation of his work, hard work and idea. The jury watches 500 films and then zeroes in on the best one.
"Returning the National Award, then, is an insult to the person who made the film, technicians who were associated in the making, actors who performed, the jury which selected and the President of India too," Bhandarkar told PTI. 

The 47-year-old "Calendar Girls" helmer finds the filmmakers' decision "selective activism". "There cannot be cherry picking on any issue. This is selective target, activism. You cannot react to only those things which suit you. There was no outrage when Salman Rushdie was not allowed for the literary fest, when Taslima Nasreen was facing backlash, when Kamal Hasaan's movie ran into trouble."

The director-producer added he will not return his National Award as giving them back will be showing disrespect towards his cast and crew. "I am not going to return my National Awards. I got them because of my work and not my ideologies. If I return I will be undermining the efforts of my actors, writers, technicians. There is no question of returning."

Director Vivek Agnihotri, whose claim to fame is erotic- thriller "Hate Story", also criticised the filmmakers, saying they returned the awards only after "milking them to their advantage". 

"India is the first and the only country where people don't refuse awards but return awards after milking them to their advantage. Agnihotri also made a snide remark at Patwardhan. "Just heard Anant Patwardhan has returned his award. My faith in this government has increased manifold." I will respect filmmakers who refuse to release their films, instead of 'fully milked' awards," he added.

Filmmaker Ashoke Pandit criticised Banerjee and veteran poet-lyricist Gulzar for selective activism. "#DibakarBanerjee should have used some other means of publicising his film rather than falling into the trap of fraud gang of #secularists," he tweeted. "I was hurt when #GulzaarSahab spoke about intolerance but remained silent for 25 yrs of my ethnic cleanising and genocide. #Selectiveoutrage," he added. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ok.
2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Dibakar Banerjee is doing nautanki to promote Titli
snatch thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
they shud have given awards against the dadri lynching and subsequent bad goverance..FTII is a lame idea.
giving back awards  isnt disrespect its their only way to fight against the inequalities, thats ok.
Edited by snatch - 8 years ago
chrisevans thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Deathstroke

Dibakar Banerjee is doing nautanki to promote Titli

Is this the reason for Awardwapsi?

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3
these senseless, stupid,arrogant guys didn't deserve the awards at all.
all pseudo secularists. Its a pre planned agenda by the corrupt, bankrupt gobar group of congress.
Y were they silent for 6 decades when so much wrong happened in our country.
I have a whole lot of desi abuses for them..will refrain from posting ..but good riddance. Dibakar banerjee u creep..u don't even deserve a good life..let alone a national honour.

Edited by niyati13 - 8 years ago
riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
This is all drama. Why didn't these ppl raise voice for incidents before this Govt came to power ...Why suddenly they have their conscience speaking.  Hypocrite ppl.. I agree with Anupam kher..
SH7_Sunny thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: riti4u

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">This is all drama. Why didn't these ppl raise voice for incidents before this Govt came to power ...Why suddenly they have their conscience speaking. Hypocrite ppl.. I agree with Anupam kher..</font>

Publicity stunts by them.
Pehchaan.Kaun thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I read Vidya Balan gracefully accepted the award with being quoted 'The country gave me the award, not the Govt'..
Sensible Lady !
-Vaishvi- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I still don't get it, what do these people achieve by returning awards?
How is it going to help address the FTII issue or solve the problem of "intolerance" as they seem to be concerned about?