Bollywoods obsession with beauty irks me: Konkona Sen Sharma

ChotaBheem thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

Bollywood's obsession with beauty irks me: Konkona Sen Sharma

• Yashika Mathur, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • |
  • Updated: Oct 13, 2015 18:22 IST

New Delhi, India-20150928: Indian film actress Konkona Sen Sharma pose for a profile shoot during an interview with HTCity-Hindustan Times at Dusit Devarana, New Delhi, India, on September 28, 2015. (Waseem Gashroo/HTCITY)

If Bollywood's fixation with female actors' age and beauty bothers you, join the club. Actor Konkona Sen Sharma isn't pleased with it either. Known for her powerful performances and intelligent choice of roles, the 35-year-old says: "I wish that Bollywood weren't so youth and beauty obsessed when it comes to women. I think it is very under representative' of women in their 30s. It seems that the ideal age for a Bollywood heroine is 24, which is great, but it would be nice to see some older women too on the big screen."

Konkona, who won applause for her acting in the recently-released film, Talvar, questions this thought process. "Who are these people who are taking these decisions of casting only young actors in films? It is the filmmakers and the film producers. I don't know if that is what the audience wants because I really believe that masses respond to a good story," asks the actor, who has given critically-acclaimed performances in movies such as Page 3 (2005), Mr and Mrs Iyer (2002) and Omkara (2006).

Konkona and Neeraj in a still from Talvar. (YouTube)

"I think most of the times there is a disconnect between audience and filmmakers. I think the people who make these key decisions have a certain notion of what will work and they don't want to take any kind of risk, adds the actor who won a National Award for Best Actress in 2002 for Mr and Mrs Iyer.

Although she has been part of mainstream films such as Mixed Doubles (2006) and Aaja Nachle (2007), the actor has done films in the Bengali film industry as well, and she is very content with her selection of work. "I think given the choices that were available to me, I don't think there were any huge gaps that I would want to fill. I picked up the best of what I got," says Konkona, who recently announced her separation from husband, actor Ranvir Shorey.

Edited by ChotaBheem - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This is so true. The guys go well into their 50s and still act with 20 yr old heroines but if a girl turns 30, baap re baap she is entering aunty zone.
pallavi25 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Totally agree with Konkona! That is the misogynist mindset of BW!

Aging actors in 40s and 50s want to star opposite 20 yr olds, their heroines get younger in every film.

But their contemporary heroines with whom they had hit movies in the past, they are called aunties and supposed to retire, even if they look better and much younger than those aging heros.

Lookswise also there is so much prejudice! Thats why brilliant actresses like Konkona Sen, Nandita Das dont get lead roles, because of their dark complexion. They want barbie dolls who cannot act, just be flowerpots in hero centric movies!
I hope the good directors with good scripts change this trend in BW and bring a revolution!

AladdinKaChirag thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
This is actually the sad reality of bollywood...
Resident_Evil thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
That is not Bollywood that is real life and human nature. And she is only saying this because she is butt ugly, were she Katrina-ish she would've had a different opinion. You know what they say about sour grapes.
Riseofaliens thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
not bollywood but the audience is to be blamed...the older actresses just dont sell unfortunately, neither average looking actresses... and beauty sells otherwise katrina wont have reached at the top..bollywood just delivers things which public grabs..its all about business

pallavi25 thumbnail

Originally posted by: siddhitifan

not bollywood but the audience is to be blamed...the older actresses just dont sell unfortunately, neither average looking actresses... and beauty sells otherwise katrina wont have reached at the top..bollywood just delivers things which public grabs..its all about business

That is not really true, then non Barbie actresses like Vidya Balan would not have big hits like Kahani with mainly good story and direction.

Sridevi made a brilliant comeback at the age of 49 with English Vinglish, didnt she?

The problem is lack of opportunities and good scripts for the older heroines. The producers themselves have a backward mindset and choose much younger heroines opposite old heros.

The fault is not with audiences, they will appreciate good movies with older actresses, but they dont get that option.
Many of us still want to watch movies with Juhi, Kajol, Rani, Raveena, Karishma etc. starring with their old heros...but how many chances do we get?

ImagineMe thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

It's the obvious. We revisit this topic on annual basis.

There is a dearth of roles for actresses beyond 35. PERIOD. But still there is some hope now with small budget films luring audience to mulitplex.

Konkona - you are a FANTABULOUS actress! There is authenticity in your performances which one doesn't see in the so called "pretty" actresses.

Mr & Mrs Iyer, Page 3, Omkara, Life in a Metro, Wake Up Sid, Ek Thi Daayan, Talvar... plus your Bangla films.
Edited by ImagineMe - 8 years ago
pallavi25 thumbnail
Konkona is no doubt a brilliant actress!
And if mainstream audiences rejected her, then Wake Up Sid with her as lead heroine would not have done well.
Page 3 with Konkona as Main protagonist also was a semi hit.

Producers would rather have flops with showcase heroines than semi hits with brilliant actresses like Konkona? Shows what those producers' priorities are...🤢
.Iconoclast. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Why just Bollywood? If people spot a brown actress with no makeup then she's called ugly. Only Kareena, Katrina, Shradha are considered beautiful with no makeup.