Life as I know it: Konkona Sen Sharma

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago

Life as I know it

Konkona Sen Sharma has spread her creative wings. Filmfare chats with the actor who's soon to take off as a director

WRITTEN BY
Suman Sharma
Written By Suman Sharma
Senior Copy Editor (Hindi)
Posted Wed, Aug 26, 2015
Life as I know it

Konkona Sen Sharma never ceases to surprise. Because talent doesn't wear with time. It only gets kaleidoscopic. The actor has mastered the art of balance. If she's enjoying her real-life role of a mother to four-year-old Haroun, she's also treading on untried territory as an artiste. Recently, she was seen in Saibal Mitra's Shajarur Kanta (The Porcupine's Quill) based on a Byomkesh Bakshi story - a love triangle with elements of a thriller. Last year, she also won the Filmfare Best Actor (Female) Award for Goynar Baksho (Bengali). And now she will be seen in Gour Hari Dastaan- The Freedom File directed by Anant Mahadevan. Most importantly, she will now wield the baton with a script written by herself Death In A Gunj. Blame it on her pedigree, her mother being the multi-faceted actor/filmmaker Aparna Sen, or perhaps her own journey as an observer, a learner...

She's delighted all her films are releasing soon. "After Haroon was born, I did Ek Thi Daayan, Gour Hari Dastaan began two years ago. Then I also began Meghna Gulzar's Talwar (with Irrfan Khan) which will release in October. I am also doing Prakash Jha's Lipstick Wale Sapne. It's directed by Aalankrita Shrivastava." In the latter, she's paired opposite Sushant Singh (of Hate Story 2 fame) where she plays the role of a burqa-clad woman Shirin Aslam. She confides she had apprehensions about getting work post motherhood. "I had heard that it gets difficult to get work after you've had a baby. But I've been lucky." She adds it's better to do a meaningful' film in Bengali than settle for a mediocre' Hindi film. She insists that she has never been part of mainstream fare. "I guess that reflects my personality. I want to do good work. Of course, one doesn't always succeed in what one does. You career will have highs and lows."

Coming to Gour Hari Dastaan, she plays the real-life freedom fighter's 65-year-old wife Laxmi Das. "Laxmi is Gour Hari Dasji's loyal supporter throughout - even though his family, his neighbours and of course the Government is not supportive of him. They dub him as a fraud," says she. Actor Vinay Pathak plays protagonist Gour Hari Das, who had to fight for three decades to get a certificate recognising his work as a freedom fighter. The film also stars her husband Ranvir Shorey, Saurabh Shukla, Rajit Kapoor and Tannishtha Chatterjee. The 30-plus actor has no qualms playing the senior character. "I am evolving as an actor and as a person." She's part of the glam world but Konkona has retained her endearing earthiness. "Luckily, I've never been known for my glamour quotient. And the film industry is not only about glamour. It's also about down and dirty hard work. I don't take on the pressure of appearing glamorous all the time." I do what I want to do at the moment."

She holds her real-life role of playing a mother as most precious and isn't game to discuss it. "I don't like to talk about my personal life. I would rather talk about my work. I'm an intensely private person. My life is not for examination, observation and comment. My work definitely is," she states firmly. "But I can say motherhood has given me a different perspective. I'm the same person with the same values but a deeper understanding of life. And of course, with a lot more patience. It's an awarding, rewarding as well as an exhausting experience. You are creating your own family na. It's hard work but fun," she smiles. "One is always strapped for time. I've had a strong role model in my mother. She was a working mother who managed things well. I also view my bai differently today. I can sympathise with her - she too is a mother and has a child to look after. So some days I stay at home so that she can take an off." Commenting on her mother Aparna Sen, Konkona says she admires her zest and enthusiasm' for life and it's tough to compare herself to her. "We discuss everything, with each other... But overall, she has been an example of someone who is not pursuing happiness only for herself but also for other people." As regards Aparna's influence in the professional realm, Konkona values the fact that she was exposed to world cinema. "Larger-than-life, conventional and conforming cinema was not for me. I tend to naturally gravitate towards alternative, independent films," says the actor who's remembered for her performances in films 15 Park Avenue, Mr. and Mrs. Iyer , Omkara, Page 3 and Wake Up Sid.

She doesn't want to comment on her relationship status with husband Ranvir Shorey as well. In fact, she underlines that rumours leave her unaffected. "I don't read tabloids. I don't believe it makes for good reading. Also, my mother remarried when I was 13. She was famous. So, people, did write about her. We all knew not to give that much attention. Mom has always lived her own life. So have I."She says she's developed new insights about herself. "I'm a complex personality. I also have a temper. But I've learnt that it is important to be kind." She doesn't believe in holding regrets. "But it doesn't mean I've never taken wrong decisions. Rather, in sabse main bahut kuch seekhti chali gai. It has made me the person I am today."

Edited by touch_of_pink - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pirated_Fun thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
plz do more movie ...my most favorite actress