Filmfare Best Actress 1993

Poll

Who deserved the award?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
ImagineMe thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago

OK, I had to bring this up from the past - For the movie historians here πŸ˜†. Filmfare has been notorious to award the trophy to less worthy winners. However, some years you feel really bad for a person who deserved it the most (and could never get the chance for glory again)

Juhi was the winner in 1993, after all it was HER most successful YEAR. But it was really difficult to see her take the trophy over Meenakshi's Damini. The latter was the career best performance of Meenakshi. Her character was very difficult to portray and multi-layered. All her emotions were just right. She had also done a great Tandav number in the film. Furthermore, the movie got huge critical acclaim as well as commercial success. Her victory could have been the stunning conclusion to her underrated career. A very talented actress who lost her prime years in the worthless 80s cinemas.

Clearly, of the 5 performances, only Damini stood the test of time. To this day, I really feel for her loss. She also lost the National Award by a very narrow margin to Dimple Kapadia.

Your thoughts? Was the decision right or you felt someone else deserved it?
Edited by ImagineMe - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Resident_Evil thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you very much for making this topic. I spoke about this 2 weeks ago. People here are so freaking biased that we have a "should Kajol have won this year" thread every other month but nobody had the guts to highlight the travesty that was 1993's filmfare. The award was handed over to Juhi simply because she was the top actress in 1993. Her performance (although cute) did not warrant the award. Meenakshi was robbed. Okay if not Menaakshi then definitely Dimple was 2nd in line. Its a shame that Meenakshi would never get a chance again to win an award, her career was stellar and the lack of awards for her is saddening.

It is also ironic that now that Juhi has become such a good actress she is not being awarded by Filmfare. She should've gotten an award for Gulab Gang.
Edited by Resident_Evil - 9 years ago
-Vaishvi- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Oh wow! I didnt even know this!
Juhi won for Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke over Meenakshi's Damini? 😲

Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke was a good movie, infact one of my fav. movies.

But Meenakshi's acting in Damini, man, that was mindblowing! And if she didnt win an award for that performance, I really dont know what to say. That was an absolute injustice then.

ImagineMe thumbnail

Residentji Namaste!!

I knew I would find some likeminded souls here. Juhi is a very talented actress. In fact, I thought her best performance that year was in Aaina for which she wasn't nominated. If Juhi was to win Filmfare in a leading role, she should have won it for DARAAR (Her career best IMO)... but that's a separate topic πŸ˜‰.

Ironically, Juhi never won a Filmfare again after 1993. So I guess I'm glad she has a Filmfare at home, but somehow it was for the wrong film/performance. Why doesn't Filmfare ever make a tie for such cut throat race? Back then, the critics award category wasn't split into actor/actress. It only started from 1997.

But to my horror, Meenakshi never won the critics award too. It went to SRK for Kabhi Haan KAbhi Naa (which was released in 1994). How can they award SRK for a performance that wasn't even released in '93? Bizarre logic πŸ˜†. Something was really fishy as usual.

Meenakshi was never part of the "in" club so was left out. 😭

tanya.91 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: -SayWhat-

Oh wow! I didnt even know this!

Juhi won for Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke over Meenakshi's Damini? 😲

Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke was a good movie, infact one of my fav. movies.

But Meenakshi's acting in Damini, man, that was mindblowing! And if she didnt win an award for that performance, I really dont know what to say. That was an absolute injustice then.

Damini was kind of jinxed for meenaxi..
forget about filmfare...
lets talk about the bigger award NATIONAL award.

Its a known fact that Santoshi (deeply inlove with meenaxi that time) made every effort possible with her character that she should win a national award for her peformance...
funny thing was, NOT MEENAXI, but SUNNY DEOL (who never considered to be a good actor till that time) got a national award for his performance, instead of meenaxi, that too in an extended cameo.

ImagineMe thumbnail

@Tanya

She was jinxed. Infact at the Filmfare ceremony, she was sitting next to Mita Vasisht and people knew she was the front runner. When Juhi's name was announced, you could see her disappointment but still a gracious smile that her glorious moment had passed away... perhaps forever.

I still just can't get over that loss... I was in my teens then. 😳

What kills me is this "TIE" business. They arbitrarily choose this and not when it should be taken advantage of. Best performance will always be subjective but if something is that close, please give a tie. It doesn't cost much to produce another certificate or trophy.πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by ImagineMe - 9 years ago
tanya.91 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ImagineMe

@Tanya

She was jinxed. Infact at the Filmfare ceremony, she was sitting next to Mita Vasisht and people knew she was the front runner. When Juhi's name was announced, you could see her disappointment but still a gracious smile that her glorious moment had passed away... perhaps forever.

I still just can't get over that loss... I was in my teens then. 😳

What kills me is this "TIE" business. They arbitrarily choose this and not when it should be taken advantage of. Best performance will always be subjective but if something is that close, please give a tie. It doesn't cost much to produce another certificate or trophy.πŸ˜ƒ

Meenaxi ji is just one example..
kajol is the one who ROBBED most awards from the truly deserving ones... be it urmila for rangeela, manisha for akel hum akele tum, manisha for khamoshi, madhuri for mrityudand, tabu for astitiva, manisha for Dil se, TABU FOR CHANDNI BAR, kareena for Omkara, aishwarya for guzaarish, vidya for Ishqiya...

these all r the names of the actresses who were nominated when kajol won filmfares five times for her screechy and very overly hyped performances.
ImagineMe thumbnail
^^
And we all know why, Aadarniya Jitesh PillaijiπŸ‘
Resident_Evil thumbnail

Originally posted by: ImagineMe

Residentji Namaste!!

I knew I would find some likeminded souls here. Juhi is a very talented actress. In fact, I thought her best performance that year was in Aaina for which she wasn't nominated. If Juhi was to win Filmfare in a leading role, she should have won it for DARAAR (Her career best IMO)... but that's a separate topic πŸ˜‰.

Ironically, Juhi never won a Filmfare again after 1993. So I guess I'm glad she has a Filmfare at home, but somehow it was for the wrong film/performance. Why doesn't Filmfare ever make a tie for such cut throat race? Back then, the critics award category wasn't split into actor/actress. It only started from 1997.

But to my horror, Meenakshi never won the critics award too. It went to SRK for Kabhi Haan KAbhi Naa (which was released in 1994). How can they award SRK for a performance that wasn't even released in '93? Bizarre logic πŸ˜†. Something was really fishy as usual.

Meenakshi was never part of the "in" club so was left out. 😭

Well it didn't stop filmfare from giving Manisha and Tabu those critics awards in the subsequent year. SRK was good in KHKN, so i wouldnt say the award was unfair.

The fact is that Damini came at a time when Meenakshi was well past her prime and was at the end of her career. She only had Ghatak in 1996, in which she was overlooked with that Mamta item song.

As far as Juhi is concerned, no matter how much this forum calls her underrated and blah blah, she doesn't have one performance in her career in the 90s that can be called outstanding. She was the perpetual cute/funny girl in all her movies.

EDIT: Oh wait, i forgot about Aaina. Yes Juhi was great in Aaina. It was a very mature performance with her emoting her sadness/demureness effortlessly. I forgot it was in 1993.
Edited by Resident_Evil - 9 years ago
Resident_Evil thumbnail
LOL. And just in time here is the "Kajol robbed all awards" excuse. Lage Raho. πŸ˜‰