xaneroyxx thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

according to which standards do you define fat?

This is not an invitation for Mona bashing and Shveta hailing..but im interested to knw since many bollywood hereoines are actually not models of perfection, they're not on the slim side..and yet they're excellent performers, dancers..and they use their curves to their benefit.. Rani Mukherjee for example I wouldnt consider her anywhere near thin (Ghulam) she's improved now..but still plumply..Sridevi is only skinny now, Madhuri got better by every movie, Jaya pradha..granted time and generation differs..Bipasha was heavy at one point, Sameera Reddy. The Aishwarya, Sushmita, Koena Mitra, et others standard is not applicable to everyone..I think each has their unique beauty and they portray it differently..and for one to constantly change their looks adds to the star value. not in favoritism of Mona but I wouldn't call her fat..I would call her healthy, and it adds to the vivaciousness of her character. Shveta's svelte and sultry physique suits her to the T, she looks beautiful. Mona felt that a few extra pounds may impair her flexibility and the way audience perceive her..since looks give you the first impression. But aside from these two contestants who i think are beautiful and healthy, I believe the standards are open to interpretations, delnaz danced well on NB last year..you wouldnt expect her to be a professional dancer, yet there's a line in between. Stars are subject of criticism but its our definitions that make a difference.

Edited by xaneroyxx - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

insouciance thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Mona was surely overweight for television,and fat for bollywood,compared to the standards these two industries have set

as for the question,who decides the parameters..I guess its the industry....In bollywood,every heroine has become figure conscious these days,and everyone hits the gym...Its healthy to be thin,and its a confidence booster too,and one always feels good,and one can slip into a wide array of clothes(short hemlines,and revealing clothes)...A mini skirt would look vulgar on someone overweight,and as much as we might like to refute,looks does matter

Thin 20 years ago is different from "thin" of today's age....The toned look is IN,flab is out....I'm for one not endorsing getting obsessed with "being skinny" and looking like a emaciated supermodel,but I'm speaking about being toned

Mona surely isnt fully toned,her abs ,shoulders and legs do look plumpy...she's not obese,but she's not thin either...and her industry demands her to be thin,she cannot enter bollywood with her current weight,because out there,everyone from Rani to Priety work out and remain thin,and they being allready established stars

Reiterating,its not about being like a famine struck person,but its about being toned....As soneone else had said in debate mansion,if the tummy jiggles while brushing the teeth,it implies one needs to hit the gym

Another reason why thin is in is because of the costumes..Mona would surely look much more graceful and fine if she had the stature of shveta...Her weight makes it hard for her choreo to lift her easily,thus the steps that her choreo can give her are lessened,because some steps would be hard her for to pull off....Mona might come across as vivacious,because of her healthy stature,but it doesnt help her in her dance,thus her chances of winning the DANCE competition are affected(not in this case though,as many are voting for reasons other than dance)...

SO yeah,being thin has become a desiderata for actors,because if they look like behenjis,then no one would be watching them in lead roles....because being an actor isnt just only about acting,looks and figure matter too.....Hard truth..
Raji84 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i find it funny when the call people like mona fat she's slightly overwieght but not fat, plump even...if you wanna know what fat is watch banoo mein teri dulhan b/c vidya's chachi is def. fat!
xaneroyxx thumbnail
I don't think Rani is thin...Mona is not thin either but they both look healthy. Rani fits into bollywood perfectly based on her acting abilities and not on her ability to wear skimpy clothes and pull off a skin show. Actresses who can, to the generation of today with their mindset and their perception might hold an asset. But those who look presentable, and have the merits of acting among other things still make it big. Antara Mali for ex, this other girl from James i cant remember her name she's annoying..both have "perfect" bodies and can get into any dress..but they can't get into any role. I think for Mona its only the start ..and she'll definetly evolve in the terms of looks, talent wise..she's already proven herself on TV and has her credentials. now she's learning dancing so thats also an asset. Shveta has it all which works to her benefit and I think it gives her the higher up.
xaneroyxx thumbnail

Originally posted by: Raji84

i find it funny when the call people like mona fat she's slightly overwieght but not fat, plump even...if you wanna know what fat is watch banoo mein teri dulhan b/c vidya's chachi is def. fat!

😆 thats soo true, or even Jigyasa from Kasam se, The list is SOOO long one would fail to count, but they wouldn't be eliminated based on their weight they have so much more to offer. Neha Bamb in KYPH , her role in the show was one of a singer that particpated in dance shows, you don't see the figure of Koena Mitra or any of the slim bollywood actresses in that suit. but the show was a great success, everyone loved her and she was really convincing, she looked health..she wasn't thin or slim. she was healthy.

insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: xaneroyxx

I don't think Rani is thin...Mona is not thin either but they both look healthy. Rani fits into bollywood perfectly based on her acting abilities and not on her ability to wear skimpy clothes and pull off a skin show. Actresses who can, to the generation of today with their mindset and their perception might hold an asset. But those who look presentable, and have the merits of acting among other things still make it big. Antara Mali for ex, this other girl from James i cant remember her name she's annoying..both have "perfect" bodies and can get into any dress..but they can't get into any role. I think for Mona its only the start ..and she'll definetly evolve in the terms of looks, talent wise..she's already proven herself on TV and has her credentials. now she's learning dancing so thats also an asset. Shveta has it all which works to her benefit and I think it gives her the higher up.

I stand by what I said,that acting alone doesnt help..because in that case,konkona sharma,who is a far better actress than most of these mainstream actresses should have made it as big as the mainstream actresses like aishwarya and priyanka chopra...I didnt say that "perfect body" alone would help girls climb the ladder,talent is important too,but along with talent,looks too does matter....

about the revealing clothes,rani,who isnt thin sported some revealing outfits in bunty bubli,in the nach baliye song..and her thighs were HUGE,and abs not all that toned..her abs too were like allright,her thighs were BAD!🤢..Thunder things are OUT with sridevi🤢

Being thin gives the added advantage that an actress can try out all genres...If we look at Priyanka chopra,in AIrtaaz,her role was that of a "model",thus she needs to look like a model,which she did..likewise,in DOn she had to play a martial arts expert..and her role in Krrish was just for the glamour,and she is all set to do a period film...thus she can attempt all genres,while rani is more or less typecast into this "Yash chopra " heroine,fit for movies like KANK,Baabul....the behenji kind of roles..thus she is restricted as an actress,and typecast in roles ....she couldnt really pull off a mujra in Mangal PAndey,as her lack of height,weight,and disastrous costume didnt do her any good...She can never do a dhoom or pull off mini skirts the way priety does....

Vidya Balan is one actress who hasnt had to expose,but this girl is extremely goodlooking...Not all actresses are gorgeous so as to speak...and getting the initial break is tough..Mona was very lucky to have bagged the role of jassi,but the same luck isnt helping her in bollywood...because she was suposed to make her debut with this producer called bobby pushkar,who later scrapped the project and infact called it "his biggest mistake" 🤢to sign on Mona...The same luck didnt help her in bollywood,because even her co-star GAurav gera a ka nandu of JJKn has made his debut,Mona couldnt till now...There is nothing so great in being a run of the mill bolly actress(read amrita arora,koena mitra,riya sen etc),mona could as well do good roles in television,rather than do crappy roles in movies...But to become a BIG movie star,along with talent(which mona definitely has👏),Looks,appearance and weight too matter......and Mona's weight isnt surely going to do her any good in bollywood,as even Farah Khan called only shveta the bollywood material in an interview,and SLB keeps saying that she should dance in his movies....Mona is good too,but they never heap those praises on her..and SLB and Farah are the "BIG influential" directors .....

insouciance thumbnail

😆 thats soo true, or even Jigyasa from Kasam se, The list is SOOO long one would fail to count, but they wouldn't be eliminated based on their weight they have so much more to offer. Neha Bamb in KYPH , her role in the show was one of a singer that particpated in dance shows, you don't see the figure of Koena Mitra or any of the slim bollywood actresses in that suit. but the show was a great success, everyone loved her and she was really convincing, she looked health..she wasn't thin or slim. she was healthy.

I dont think neha bamb wasnt slim.....She wasnt all skin and bones,but she definitely was thinner than Mona.....Aamna sharief too isnt skinny,but she's thin...Neha was thin,she wasnt fat.....

one category is the skinny category...wherein all koenas and mallikas and bipashas fit..the skinny look is obtained by hitting the gym ,and sometimes it even makes people look bad(eg..Bipasha in dhoom..she looks wayyyyyyyyyy too muscular and a tad manly)

One category is thin...where aamna,shveta,neha,Aishwarya RAi,priyanka etc fall into...they arent skinny,or muscular,they look feminie and nice

the not so thin category....where people like rani fit in

fat category...people who arent "not so thin" are fat....Mona,kanchi Kaul etc

"overweight"...smrithi irani,farah khan

obese...vidya chachi,delnaaz paul,saroj khan etc

xaneroyxx thumbnail
An obese person is one with BMI 30 or higher..thus weighing over 270pounds (had to correct that sorry)got my numbers mixed.. so none of the above fit the list..they maybe called fat. the rest are slightly over weight/plump. I hope you're referring to Universal definitions, in north america Kanchi Kaul and Mona are not Fat, they could lose some. it will definetly add glamour and it will be to their asset.
Edited by xaneroyxx - 17 years ago
breathing_irony thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
wah buffie u shd be a nutrionist or doc 😆 u defined all the categories of fat.....moanis on the plump side n her costumes make it look even worse...esp during the lifts, her thighs obviously show n its certainly not a pleasnt sight coz they rnt the leanest of thighs! NO offence meant to mona fans...im jsut sayin tht the lifts dont look aesthetic...dont mean to sound rude abt mona......im pretty fat myself! 😳
Edited by breathing_irony - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail

An obese person is one with BMI 30 or higher..thus weighing over 180 pounds.. so none of the above fit the list..they maybe called fat. the rest are slightly over weight/plump. I hope you're referring to Universal definitions, in north america Kanchi Kaul and Mona are not Fat, they could lose some. it will definetly add glamour and it will be to their asset.

180 pounds is 72 kilogrammes(I work in kgs)....delnaaz and Smrithi Irani definitely would weigth around 70😕....and it also depends on height...for my height,the obesity mark is 238 pounds,and for someone shorter,it differs...

and LOL,that was my own definition😆...Kanchi's not thin,her arms are porky,her frame is huge....she is a bit fat😕