Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Amara_B thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: .FemmeFatale.

Salman is being bashed left right and centre for various other important issues right now.

Anyway,credits must be given.

P.S : Dont generalize the entire country bcoz of one celebrity. Calling us thieves is not cool.

I'm not calling you thieves. I'm not sure how you got 'Indian's are thieves' from my post.
I'm saying the Indian film industry has plagiarized a lot over the years (fact) and almost never has to suffer the consequences (fact), which is why producers have become so complacent and can afford to be negligent with copy write. Which is absolutely wrong.
When thoda resham lagta hai was sampled without permission Addictive was hit with a 500 million dollar law suite, the single was revoked and albums were taken off the shelf until Lata's name was added to the credits.
That is how it should be. Indian producers won't stop plagiarising until they get hit with similar law suits. That was my point.
I mean the only instances I can recall when an Indian producer actually purchased the rights of content they used, are Karan Johar purchasing the rights to pretty woman, and Anil Kapoor with 24.
I'm sure there's a few more, but the number is extremely minute compared to how many producers do not purchase the rights to the content they 'borrow' from other artists, and hide behind phrases like 'inspired by', 'tribute to', etc.
This isn't me saying Indian's are thief's, this is me saying the Indian film industry has a history of plagiarism and gets away with it too much (thus allowing it to carry on). Which is an irrefutable fact.
There are plenty of good Indian films and songs that are not plagiarised, and I enjoy watching some of them. However there are too many that are plagiarised, and the only way that will stop is if producers suffer the financial consequences.
Edited by Amara_B - 9 years ago
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
If someone holds the copyrights legally obviously they need to take permission. But having said that why are Pakistanis acting holier than thou? Most Pakistani films and serials are plagiarized from Indian films or serials or books. One such example is the show Mera Naseeb which was plagiarized from an Indian American author's work without credit. They merrily telecast in Pakistan too. The author found out only when Zindagi aired it. Just because Indians dont watch Pakistani work regularly enough to point out plagiarism it doesnt mean it is not as rampant as plagiarism on the Indian side.
WabalMunni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
First the issue is plagiarism and then on the top justifying it as "ham nai bachpan sai yeh song suna hai so we are right to use it" and the awam sitting in front of it clapping on this statement. On this very forum there were many posts created condemning the plagiarism in Pakistani media for example the song used in Pyaray Afzal. In Pyaray Afzal thread, there were many Pakistanis who criticized the use of that song. I myself have criticized Samira Fazal (writer of Mera Naseeb)for the unauthorized use of copyrighted material.

The biggest problem in Salman's video is that he is ridiculing someone who is standing up for his rights. Did Chitra Bannerjee and Manish Goswami had to go through the same sort of ridicule?
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
^^^I couldnt care less to justify Salman's actions. He definitely isnt an example of exemplary behavior. Proved it again over the weekend.
But yes saying the whole Indian entertainment industry copies from Pakistan is stretching it far. When the same favor is returned several times over. Stop acting holier than thou!
Edited by .Hajmola. - 9 years ago
WabalMunni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I do not think people have said that whole Indian film Industry is using plagiarized material...People seriously need to start reading others' posts before commenting on them.
Amara_B thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Hajmola.

If someone holds the copyrights legally obviously they need to take permission. But having said that why are Pakistanis acting holier than thou? Most Pakistani films and serials are plagiarized from Indian films or serials or books. One such example is the show Mera Naseeb which was plagiarized from an Indian American author's work without credit. They merrily telecast in Pakistan too. The author found out only when Zindagi aired it. Just because Indians dont watch Pakistani work regularly enough to point out plagiarism it doesnt mean it is not as rampant as plagiarism on the Indian side.

First of all if you have a point to make argue it without slinging personal insults at other posters.
I am not acting holier than thou.
The fact is Bollywood is a much bigger industry. Personally I've had more exposure to it so I've picked up on how much the industry plagiarises films and music. I grew up watching Bollywood and practically every third film 'borrowed' scenes from other films without giving credit. By the way NO ONE said 'the whole Indian film industry copies from Pakistan'. I'd like you to point out a post where anyone said something that could even remotely be interpreted that way.
As far as Pakistani media goes, I'm not as familiar with it. I mean I'm Pakistani ethnically but have never been to Pakistan and wasn't exposed to Pakistani meida. I know a lot about Pakistani music because my parents listened to it a lot during my childhood but that's the extent of my knowledge about Pakistani media. Which is why I haven't picked up as much on any plagiarism Pakistani producers may have committed. The ones I did pick up were Sarmad Khoosat using a theme tune from Dexter in Humsafar which I was pretty vocal about, even got a response from Sarmad on facebook (he denied it), and the theme tune of Pyare Afzal which I was equally critical of. As far as Pakistani films go (the old crap not the newer stuff), I've never watched them.
Putting all that to the side, the bottom line is Bollywood has a track record of heavy plagiarism. Every year you can pick out at least 20 films/songs that have been plagiarised. Pakistani producers do plagiarise, however not to the same extent. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen, most Pakistani Serials are not plagiarised from Indian Dramas/Films. A few, may be.
Out of interest have you actually watched enough Pakistani films and old Drama's and noticed plagiarism? I assume you have considering you state most are plagiarised. I've watched a lot of Indian films over the years (most likely more than you have Pakistani) and I still haven't made such a stark statement.

FYI: Mera Naseeb was plagiarised from an American book by an Indian author, and the script writer was called on her plagiarism by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni so they didn't completely get away with it. If you re-read my previous posts you'll see the main point I'm making is that Bollywood plagiarises a hell of a lot and gets away with it too much thus allowing it to carry on. They are almost never called on plagiarism by the original artists let alone sued.
Most film and music industry's have occasionally plagiarised however they don't get away with it as much and there's no visible track record of regular and heavy plagiarism. Bollywood does have a strong history of regularly ripping off other films and music and labelling them as original compositions/ideas, and gets away with it.
That's a fact.
Edited by Amara_B - 9 years ago