Is Salman's stance right on BB Qawwali issue?

WabalMunni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Salman Khan recently expressed his views on a legal notice issued on a Qawwalli used in Bajrangi Bhaijaan. The Qawwalli was originally sung by Sabri Brothers of Pakistan. Apparently the makers of Bajrangi Bhaijaan used the Qawwalli without proper legalities.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-salman-khan-s-bajrangi-bhaijaan-gets-legal-notice-for-adnan-sami-s-qawali-2103705

This is Salman Khan's stance on this issue.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65y4QtFto8Q[/YOUTUBE]

Is he making any sense? Honestly speaking not to me. It is still to be known whether there is a valid legal copyright case here or not but the way Salman Khan is justifying it is totally senseless. He is such a big star, I personally did not expect this sort of response from him. He being a professional in this industry should know about intellectual property rights and should respect the copyright laws. What do you guys think?

Edited by 0o.Jaan-Jee.o0 - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-shabz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
So if I have heard a Bw song since childhood I am free to use it 😲
Well I don't mind as long as they give credit.
iSakeena thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
its normal for thm chori k adat hai :p now dnt attack me.. what i said is true
WabalMunni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -shabz-

So if I have heard a Bw song since childhood I am free to use it 😲
Well I don't mind as long as they give credit.

Yup this is what my issue is. As I mentioned I am not sure if there is a valid legal case here if they have properly credited the song but the way Salman justified it was so absurd. It is like we have been listening to this song since childhood so yaayyy we used it in a movie. What!!?? 😲
brainychild92 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
haha, if that is the case team bajrangi bhaijaan, then why are half the videos on youtube muted--indian tv and english music.. copyright/legality issues, that's why...
i hope they took the right steps for the sake of the movie but salman's justification was too absurd/funny.
Amara_B thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

His rebuttal makes no sense. He's purporting that if something is old enough to date back to one's childhood it becomes public domain; that's a fallacy.

If he argued that the Qawali was not composed and originally sung by the Sabri Brothers he would be in a stronger position (if the statement was correct).
I don't know how far back 'Bhar do Joli' dates, as far as I know it was originally sung by the Sabri Brothers and Salman's team have infringed copy write laws by including it in BM without legal permission. That's wrong from a business point of view (the Sabri Brothers family who most likely own the copy write to their Qwali's are not being paid royalties), and ethically (it's plain theft).
Suggesting it's disrespectful for the family of an artist to protect their legacy and demand what they are rightfully owed is manipulative. As is comparing 'Being Human' to 'Bhar do Joli', one is an NGO, the other a Qawali neither one warrants a comparison to the other. Singing Qawali's was the Sabri Brother's profession, it's how they made money, and their family still receives an income from their Qawali's. Being Human was, as far as we all know, set up as an NGO Salman does not (should not) profit from it and neither does (should) his family. So why would his hypothetical grandchildren sue someone for using the NGO their grandfather set up?
A more apt, albeit less emotionally manipulative comparison can be made with one of Salman's hit songs. Of course that wouldn't serve his agenda because everyone knows that Salman himself would create a ruckus if anyone tried to rip off one of his 'classic' hits, let alone his hypothetical grandchildren. He wouldn't entertain any lame excuses about the song being around since the perpetrators childhood.
But then this is Salman Khan we're talking about, he's always been above the standards he holds others to.
On a side note:
Lata Mangeshkar (and her team) sued Addictive for $500 million for sampling thoda resham lagta hai without permission, and got an injunction against the single being sold or performed. Even the album the song was on was taken off shelves until the pamphlet was edited to give credit to Lata.
Which is absolutely how it should be.
Unfortunately Indian composers, and producers don't get sued despite blatantly ripping off hundreds of American, English, East Asian, Arab, and Pakistani songs, and films, ergo their negligent attitude towards issues of copy write when they're the one's doing the plagiarising.
Edited by Amara_B - 9 years ago
.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Salman is being bashed left right and centre for various other important issues right now.
Anyway,credits must be given.

P.S : Dont generalize the entire country bcoz of one celebrity. Calling us thieves is not cool.
Gujar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
He's clueless or deliberately so about etiquette and legalities [not surpising given his own track record with his own binding legal issues] To expect him to have a mature/sensible/fair approach towards anything is asking for too much.
WabalMunni thumbnail
Btw just curious, iss youtube clip main aagay jo awam baithi hai woh kis baat pai talian baja rahi hai?
sofiaax thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
serioUsly thats no justification that we have listened to it since our childhood or they wouldnt do this ...why wouldnt someone if you are using something that doesnt belong to you !! you havent even asked the person. I mean if you did really respect them so much why didnt you credit them in your film !!! how would it go on and on if you havent even credited the person who's song this belongs to !!!

STUPID!