I hope some of the upcoming films dont work - Fahad Mustafa

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

I hope some of the upcoming films don't work

Nida Ameen May 31, 2015

At the brink of stardom, Fahad Mustafa talks exclusively to Instep about his long-delayed film Mah-e-Meer, the plight of thePakistani film industry and his big Bollywood debut.

Mah-e-Meer: Fahad Mustafa plays the role of a contemporary poet who struggles with work and eventually finds himself connecting spiritually with Mir Taqi Mir.

He is a chameleon. He is that sweet suspension that can fit into a mould of every shape and form. And, he has more shades to him than E.L. James could depict of grey'. Actor Fahad Mustafa's rise to fame on small screen may have been inconspicuous, for unlike those who constantly enjoy being in front of the camera, he has preferred to remain in relative obscurity with method acting - be it as the multifaceted Abdul Qadir or the despised anti-hero in Kankar. However, it was not until Fahad was plucked away from this clutter of television and made to reconnect with the lighter side of self through last year's smash hit Na Maloom Afraad that he became a bona fide star.

"Life has been totally different after NMA; I am a star now," Fahad laughed. "On a serious note, I am really glad that the audiences loved the film and made it such a big success. It was a film all about Karachi and each one of us had been one of the characters at some point in our life. We gave it our 100 percent."

"However, I really hope filmmakers don't continue following this formula," he added. "From what we can see, there is a string of comedies being made. It's time we diversify as an industry and try new genres instead of sticking to one successful formula. A film has to be good and not just comedy."

This penchant for diversity is reflective in his parameters of choosing a film. At a point when actors would consciously be part of films with commercial potential in order to be at the epicenter of all limelight, Fahad has opted for a more challenging, provocative and intellectual image in Mah-e-Meer.

"It's a very unconventional role and in fact the film is not really a biopic on Mir Taqi Mir," revealed Fahad. "The character I am playing is a contemporary poet who has his own view of the world, is arrogant, intense and doesn't believe in the works of great poets of the past as Mir Taqi Mir. Until constant praise but lack of work urges him to put himself in their shoes."

Mah-e-Meer has undoubtedly been one of the most anticipated ventures of the recent Pakistani cinescape but like most projects, this too has suffered the time-delay syndrome. Directed by Anjum Shahzad of Qutubuddin fame, Mah-e-Meer's trailer did the social media rounds early last year, making many hearts flutter but ever since then the release date has been playing hide and seek with fans. "Initially the film was made for festivals but then we all felt that it is quite feasible to release it commercially as well. Hence, changes had to be made. The production unit got bigger but it's finally on track and is scheduled to release sometime between Eidul Fitr and Eidul Azha this year," Fahad confirmed.

For an audience that has had a longstanding affair with masala potboilers, does a film like Mah-e-Meer has what it takes to be a crowd-puller?

"Why not? We tend to take our audience for granted. They are a lot smarter than we think they are and are fully aware of the various genres," Fahad asserted.

They have time and again persuaded Bollywood to break away from its typicality and bring something new to the table," he continued. "Yes, it's not a masala film at all but it's interesting and intelligent. It's already been slotted for a screening at an international film festival in Germany and it is my work in the film that has convinced Bollywood filmmakers to approach me."

Speaking of Bollywood, Fahad is another actor who will be enrolling into this apparent exchange program of sorts between the two film industries. He is set to make his Bollywood debut with Shagufta Rafique's directorial debut (she is the screenwriter for Aashiqui 2) scheduled to go on floors this October.

"Mahesh Bhatt called me around a month back to pitch the project since he knows Shagufta well. It's an intense love story and has a great script. While things are in process, I still haven't signed the contract and that is also the reason why I haven't disclosed much about the project. I don't like talking about things that aren't confirmed. It is possible that I may be doing more than one film in Bollywood but for now, I don't want to reveal too much," Fahad emphasized.

It's surely interesting to witness our new breed of actors being a lot more cautious of their career moves and not rush in to fill silences in a conversation, unlike their predecessors who are known in Bollywood more for their gaffes and forgettable stints.

Apart from Fahad, Mah-e-Meer will also see actress Iman Ali take to the big screen after a long hiatus, post powerful performances in Shoaib Mansoor's Khuda Kay Liye and Bol.

Apart from Fahad, Mah-e-Meer will also see actress Iman Ali take to the big screen after a long hiatus, post powerful performances in Shoaib Mansoor's Khuda Kay Liye and Bol.

"We haven't been represented well in Bollywood till recently," he added. "The only people who have managed to change perceptions and do credible projects are Fawad and Ali whereas earlier people would just go and panhandle for work. I, too, want to do a project that I can carry on my shoulders. I'd rather do a Pakistani film with a complete newbie than be a sidekick in Bollywood."

The growing trend of crossing over to Bollywood may have initially been subject to criticism from some' of our flag-wavers but with time it has become a natural progression - after all it's a bigger industry with a far bigger market. However, the local industry also seems to be rebooting the game, both with fresh as well as conventional ideas. Is the future less bleak before it can compete with the like of Bollywood?

"It's too early to even call it an industry. Right now people are just goofing around with ideas and making films to test waters. Also there is no financial motive behind making a film, just mere passion," Fahad claimed. "It will at least take a decade before we reach the standards that have been set. But again, we have to be careful of not sticking to one formula and just keep making slapstick comedies. I actually hope that some of the upcoming movies don't work because that's how our filmmakers are going to learn. We need to differentiate and innovate. For instance, if Mah-e-Meer doesn't do well, I will still be satisfied because it's a different, novel experiment."

Clearly, success doesn't appear to have gotten to Fahad's head and he is in the movie business for the sheer love of it rather than fame and fortune, despite being anointed the next big thing. Figuring out what's next is not much of a challenge for the 31-year-old son of Salahuddin Tunio. Less television and more performance-oriented films - Fahad will be seen in his maiden production Band Tou Ab Bajega with director Anjum Shehzad and a film with his lucky charm Nabeel Qureshi.

http://tns.thenews.com.pk/i-hope-some-upcoming-films-dont-work-fahad-mustafa/#.VW3XXkZLqSp

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Dumb thing to say if you ask me...especially since many of his produced shows follow the same formula all the time. He should ask his writers to come up with something innovative for television. His productions suck mostly.

And, he's doing a Mahesh Bhatt film? umm..not sure about that.
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Mahesh Bhatt intense love story whaaattt?? 😆
kareena05 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Fahad is a talented actor more than Fawad. Though I like them both . And deserves to make it big internationally
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Ten more years for thinks to pick in Pakistan. Boy! Fawad is better off in BW.
-Lostindreams thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
A film with MASHESH Bhatt!!!! WOahh
If i remember correctly isn't he the one who has most vulgar scenes in his movies.
-Phantom- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
lol Mahesh Bhatt camp hasnt exactly been a career setter for any Pakistani artist. Wrong move, I think.
cimba thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I am not a big Mahesh bhatt movies type but he does make good movies and most do decent business. He does mostly low budget actor and stories are not so common. Low budget in a sense that lets put it this way no Khan's or Kapoors ...lol
Edited by cimba - 9 years ago