Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: FloydLover

Is anyone of you from Pakistan? I have a few questions regarding the way women live there.
I am from Canada and have never lived in Pakistan but I can answer your questions.

1) Do all women wear suits/ sarees? Is wearing jeans or skirts considered very outlandish?
Wearing "western clothes" is not considered outlandish. It really depends on which area you are in. In islamabad, the capital city, western clothes are common. In Karachi and Lahore it depends on the areas. I visited 9 years ago and I wore my normal western clothes pretty much the whole time I was in Islamabad, at malls or specific areas when I was in Karachi as well as in some areas of Lahore. During that time I witnessed females in all these cities wearing western clothes at some point or another.

2) Is a women not free to have male friends after she marries?
My sister who lived there for a few years and my females cousins all have male friends who they hang out with. While my sister and cousins are mostly unmarried, their friends who are married do hang out with male friends. My aunt (who obviously is not young and is married with kids) does hang out with male friends.

3) Is it customary to hold hands and make promises to one's bride at the night of the wedding?
I have no idea but I guess this is an individual thing, not customary.

4)What is your opinion about the way women are portrayed in Pakistani dramas? How close is it to reality?
It's pretty realistic for the most part as the roles are very diverse.

Now your question on women marrying young, education and work. Well basically, my entire family including the ones residing in Pakistan is highly educated. The females probably more so than some of the males. My aunts, and cousins are all educated with a degree or more. Most of them are working and they all married late in their 20s. A few above the age of 30 are unmarried. So no, women don't have to marry young, they don't have to stop studying as education is important and they are free to hold jobs. Just like India, it also depends on the area a person hails from.

Edited by canuck-umz - 9 years ago
cimba thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
some of the questions are universal ,i think...

Holding hand and promises ...let me tell you in 20 plus years of marriage i have yet to have any promises come my way holding hands... it all depends how romantic guy is regardless of borders... Have gotten everything i want and more but no birds tweeting in background...lol

guy friends after marriage is not so kosher ( in the limit) in India or Pakistan or most of the world...unless looking for trouble down the road... men in general are very much insecure... not all but lot of them are...,

Most of the female characters are super real... I see most in all of the society... diff issues in diff class... kankar 's female lead can be anywhere in the world... ZGH is also everywhere ... particular issue of mother in law being a wicked witch is more common in our Pakistan/India"s society. Lot of female lead are so real to me growing up in India somewhat and living in western world for most of the life.