FloydLover thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Is anyone of you from Pakistan? I have a few questions regarding the way women live there.

1) Do all women wear suits/ sarees? Is wearing jeans or skirts considered very outlandish?

2) Is a women not free to have male friends after she marries?

3) Is it customary to hold hands and make promises to one's bride at the night of the wedding?

4)What is your opinion about the way women are portrayed in Pakistani dramas? How close is it to reality?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: FloydLover

Is anyone of you from Pakistan? I have a few questions regarding the way women live there.

1) Do all women wear suits/ sarees? Is wearing jeans or skirts considered very outlandish?
Not anymore. It actually depends on the area and the class they belong to. Its not really a taboo any more here.

Again depend on her in-laws. Usually, its not really common here.

3) Is it customary to hold hands and make promises to one's bride at the night of the wedding?
No, its not. They show it just for TRP sake 😆

4)What is your opinion about the way women are portrayed in Pakistani dramas? How close is it to reality?
There are so many serials portraying women differently. Like on one hand you have Kashaf who has self respect and is hard working, On other hand we have Romaisa (Mohabbat Subha ka sitara) who is extremely submissive. Since there are vast number of characters being portrayed on TV, women definitely relate to them to certain extend at some level.

Word Count: 1

FloydLover thumbnail

Oh, okay. It's nice to see social issues being raised through the medium of television in such a realistic manner. I finished watching Kankar and Daam recently and I was honestly surprised by the beauty of the thoughts expressed in these.

'Tum mere liye farishta thi, tumhe insaan nahi ban na chahiye tha!'

'Khooni rishton ki yahi majboori hoti hai. Ek doosre ko maaf karna padta hai unhe.'

'Dard hua? Aurat ko bhi hota hai.'

Brilliant!

So, where are you from Pakistan? How is life like over there? I'm from India, by the way. I have been raised in a very progressive, liberal family and yet have not been bereft of seeing the issues of caste-shaming, domestic violence and unnecessary restrictions on women being played in real life.

sofiaax thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
im born and brought in England though every year we go to Pakistan
Azad Kashmir😊

- After or before marriage no male friends

- no english clothes only Salwar Kameez Pakistani clothes
But yeah in City's Girls do Wear English Clothes...

- yes Pakistani Drama's are all normally close Reality ❤️

- lol it just depends on the guy if he is romantic or thinks that way😆otherwise i think rarely not common😆

FloydLover thumbnail

Originally posted by: sofiaaax.

im born and brought in England though every year we go to Pakistan
Azad Kashmir😊

- After or before marriage no male friends

- no english clothes only Salwar Kameez Pakistani clothes
But yeah in City's Girls do Wear English Clothes...

- yes Pakistani Drama's are all normally close Reality ❤️

- lol it just depends on the guy if he is romantic or thinks that way😆otherwise i think rarely not common😆

Okay. So, in general, women marry young and don't work? How liberal is society towards a woman? In particular, how important is educating daughters for a middle class family?
sofiaax thumbnail

Okay. So, in general, women marry young and don't work? How liberal is society towards a woman? In particular, how important is educating daughters for a middle class family?

yeah in general you get marry and dont work , city life maybe different again and again women marry young ummm again it just depends where you live and how its in families , as 2 years back ive heard of people around us(neighbours and all) in Pakistan some girls getting married at 18-19 and some at early and late twenties it just depends how it is in your family.

It just all depends on people's thinkings and if they can afford it, my mum's uncle daughters middle class and all really well educated 😊 only close relative we have there rest are in england. and then rest relatives all of the girls have been to school , some went further studies some didnt 😊 some wanting to study further, some didnt.

i havent heard of any relative that didnt send there daughter to school. but yh some didnt want them to go to further studies.

FloydLover thumbnail

Originally posted by: sofiaaax.

yeah in general you get marry and dont work , city life maybe different again and again women marry young ummm again it just depends where you live and how its in families , as 2 years back ive heard of people around us(neighbours and all) in Pakistan some girls getting married at 18-19 and some at early and late twenties it just depends how it is in your family.

It just all depends on people's thinkings and if they can afford it, my mum's uncle daughters middle class and all really well educated 😊 only close relative we have there rest are in england. and then rest relatives all of the girls have been to school , some went further studies some didnt 😊 some wanting to study further, some didnt.

i havent heard of any relative that didnt send there daughter to school. but yh some didnt want them to go to further studies.

Thank you for your prompt reply. That's good to know. I had made a lot of conjectires on Pakistan which, now I realize, were all wrong.

Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Oh, okay. It's nice to see social issues being raised through the medium of television in such a realistic manner. I finished watching Kankar and Daam recently and I was honestly surprised by the beauty of the thoughts expressed in these.

'Tum mere liye farishta thi, tumhe insaan nahi ban na chahiye tha!'

'Khooni rishton ki yahi majboori hoti hai. Ek doosre ko maaf karna padta hai unhe.'

'Dard hua? Aurat ko bhi hota hai.'

Brilliant!

So, where are you from Pakistan? How is life like over there? I'm from India, by the way. I have been raised in a very progressive, liberal family and yet have not been bereft of seeing the issues of caste-shaming, domestic violence and unnecessary restrictions on women being played in real life.

I'm from Lahore. Its the capital city of province Punjab. And punjabis are usually termed as lively people and food lovers.
The issues you mentioned generally exist in lower class and/or rural areas.

The dialogues you mentioned are gems. We have already discussed these dialogues in favorite dialogues/scenes thread. Check that thread if you haven't seen already.
Edited by Usman. - 9 years ago
-shabz- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

I am Pakistani, but I live in Canada.

The middle class usually wears suits, the upper class or wanna be's😆 are mostly seen wearing western.

I have not seen this personally, but maybe girls are cautious...all the women I know stay in touch with their university friends, male or female...depends on the ghar ka mahol.

Its because Pakistani TV is conservative, they show holding hands😆, warna aisa kuch nahin hai

The saas is Durre shewar was very real😆 I have heard from so many that they could relate to shewars experience and that some of it or all of it has happened to someone they know, but yes the women portrayal in the good shows are very realistic, not in shows like mere khuda and shit🤢🤢, those women do not exist anywhere.

Word Count: 1

sofiaax thumbnail

[

Thank you for your prompt reply. That's good to know. I had made a lot of conjectires on Pakistan which, now I realize, were all wrong.

your most welcome😉