Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

I'm not being defensive here just stating my observations over the years as well, but I agree that the hair thinning/falling, weight loss, general non-fresh look on her face, and age showing all really has to do with her personal life.. she became an insomniac when her marriage formed cracks, cut her hair short when her and Ali separated for the first time stating she needed to get weight off her shoulders and needed change after years of keeping the long hair, and that's when she started regularly smoking too.. She was 21 when she started on MTV so the spunk, the I-don't-give-a-damn attitude, and the charm blended well. Plus as a VJ her personal life was all happy and settled, the bliss showed on her face. She was madly in love with Ali, and she herself said that all she wanted was to be with him despite her parents being against her marriage.. she even went to LA for him, so when it went bad it really got to her. As soon as she signed on Bol, there were issues in their marriage judging by Mahira's own statements.. I think during or after Humsafar her husband permanently wanted her to quit. It's pretty obvious they aren't together anymore, whether they're officially divorced who knows but they tried to work on their marriage twice before permanently separating [which was Ali's call] and which is also why she took a year off right after completing shehrezaat.. I feel she really wanted him to be part of her fame, but going by what I've heard, read, and seen, don't think he was supportive despite pushing her to become a VJ when she didn't. In her interviews post 2012, she frequently mentions things along the lines of isolation, losing faith/going into the darkness because of fame. Recently at Hum Awards during an interview she also said, you can win all the awards and applauds but what if there's no one to share it with once you come back home.. and how going to set makes her forget all the other things that are happening in her life and makes her feel good. There's been so much change in her personal life from the moment she became an actor, with two of her best friends siblings passing away, one battling a drug/addiction problem, her own separation, and I guess generally growing up over the years, hence there's a great difference in the Mahira before and now. I don't see the same bubbly attitude in her anymore at all.. there's a visible sadness on her face no matter how much she'll smile.

but Mahira always wanted to be an actor? She has always said this...I'm sure Ali helped her become a VJ, but to say she never wanted to become one may not all that true? VJing helps you get noticed..if it wasn't for Mahira being a VJ, she would have never become an actress. Plus. she seems to have always been best friends with Feeha from childhood...I feel that connection to showbiz was always there. Unfortunately, I feel Mahira got married way too early. And, why did Mahira have to follow Ali to the USA? I thought she lived with her brother there?
starstruckk thumbnail

Realized this article is basically pro for the ARY films and against Hum.. agenda right there..

No, just because someone's actually criticizing the trailer/promos etc openly..doesn't mean it's pro-ARY. This is a huge film..it's a much bigger film than any other film releasing in the next few months. To not expect any criticism is being unfair. Also, Dawn is never biased towards any channel in particular...never has been.
Edited by starstruckk - 9 years ago
BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@star:

Ali's 2 years older than Mahira. He went to LA before her and she followed right after doing a year of A levels because he just wanted to be with him according to her.. her brother came afterwards. Ali returned from college and was doing a summer internship at MTV while she was here for summer break. She went to pick him up and there Ghazanfar Ali saw her and told her to be a VJ for MTV while Ali convinced her. She said she tried it for the summer and enjoyed it hence she stayed on. It was never planned.
I do agree she got married too early.. her dad actually said to her that she was throwing her life away. She was actually going to go to an acting school in India while still in college but it just never worked out...
Edited by BlackStar. - 9 years ago
BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: starstruckk

No, just because someone's actually criticizing the trailer/promos etc openly..doesn't mean it's pro-ARY. This is a huge film..it's a much bigger film than any other film releasing in the next few months. To not expect any criticism is being unfair. Also, Dawn is never biased towards any channel in particular...never has been.

I expect criticism.. I actually don't mind it at all if it's being fair.However his writer specifically is being overly harsh in my opinion that's all. I mean has she actually seen Wrong Number's promos? That's vulgarity at it's peak not even wholesome entertainment.. and Bin Roye's music may not be all that but it's definitely better than all the other Pakistani films releasing with.
starstruckk thumbnail

I expect criticism.. I actually don't mind it at all if it's being fair.However his writer specifically is being overly harsh in my opinion that's all. I mean has she actually seen Wrong Number's promos? That's vulgarity at it's peak not even wholesome entertainment.. and Bin Roye's music may not be all that but it's definitely better than all the other Pakistani films releasing with.

I don't think the writer ever sided with any of those item numbers though. The writer was trying to understand what exactly was the Balley Balley song all about..as asked, was it an item number, a commercial like song, or what? The center of attention in this song was Mahira just like in all of the other songs of other films, the center of attention were other female actresses. Granted, I do agree that the content of some of those songs were in poor taste vs this song..but that doesn't mean this song itself can't be criticized just because it's from a family film which something like Wrong Number clearly isn't...and I feel that's what the writer tried getting at. I personally don't think the Balley Balley song was anything extraordinary. I feel if you take out Adeel, the song would've been pretty dull...because the music and dancing otherwise is nothing brilliant. Could the writer have made a point without bringing in the whole item number deal?..yeah, sure..but she does have a point otherwise. I don't see any of the other points raised in the article overly harsh though..but that's my opinion. Bin Roye is arguably the most awaited film in the past 3 years. It is also based off of a famous novel (and first film to be an adaptation of a novel also). It's by Humtv..it has Mahira Khan and Humayun. It has recognized singers singing for the film...various directors directing mere songs for ONE film etc etc. I do think it's fair game for people to have expected more..and criticism is understandable here also.

-Phantom- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
It's a simple shaadi ka song. Where is all this talk of an item number coming in from? Ridiculous.
taaniroyal thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Raindrops.

Just because Bin Roye comes off like a high-definition glitzy Dil Toh Pagal Hai, Mahira is excused from that label.

This is what I have been saying...this film is so totally BW in the 90s.
obsessiveperson thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
clockworknerd thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Am I the only one who is still unimpressed by the trailer and the songs? I still have the same view.. they've glamourised all the 'mohabbat' factor to such an extent that I certainly can't digest it. And all these songs and dance.. it's just too much. I came across the list of songs here.. Gotta say, it's pretty long. I'm only looking forward to the movie because of Adeel Hussain. He dances pretty well and of course, he is a great actor too. Did anyone of you find out what's his role? He's definitely not playing Zafar (which was my earlier guess).. I think he will play the guy who is Irtiza's friend living in Lahore and is interested in Saba. Because that role was supposed to be played by Osman Kahlid Butt but till now there's no hint of Osman in the movie.. so it's probably Adeel.