Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

In Conversation with the Real Brains Behind Bin Roye & Diyar-e-Dil - Farhat Ishtiaq (The Writer)

15 Jun

Finally when I watched the trailer of the movie Bin Roye after an onrush of rumours, I became curious as hell to get to know the real person behind this project. And the first thing that came to my mind was about catching up with the writer whose pen has given birth to an outstanding script.

And when at the same time this was all going on in my mind, I had already gotten inspired by the ravishing endevours of Farhat Ishtiaq in Diyar-e-Dil. I just couldn't help praising her in each of my reviews regarding her writing skills for creating such a meaningful story like DeD.

And here I am in conversation with the very brilliant and talented Farhat Ishtiaq who has bestowed upon HUM TV some of her great writings in the face of hit TV serials like Humsafar, Diyar-e-Dil and soon to be launched Bin Roye- the movie.

Let's get started!!!

1. How did it all start becoming a writer? What's your story?

Ans: I think writing was in my genes. When I was a kid I used to entertain myself with my own created stories. I was always a dreamer. At night while staring at the stars from my window I imagined different characters & stories. It was something I did unintentionally, without even knowing what I was doing.
My elder sister was the only one with whom I shared my stories and she loved them. Later onwards I started creating stories for her. They were never written. Just like Qissa Goyi, I told those stories to her.
It was during my last year at Engineering University when I wrote my first short story and sent it in a writing competition to a monthly digest. To my greatest surprise it was published next month

2. Have you always wanted to be a writer? (And was there a particular moment you thought, I can do this!'?)

Ans: As I've told, I was an Engineering student so my chosen career was definitely Civil Engineering. But Allah had some other plans for me. Even after my initial stories & Novella got published, I didn't start thinking to pursue a career in writing. After getting my Engineering Degree I started working in an Engineering firm as a Structural Engineer but couldn't stop myself from writing. Later I left Engineering and became a novelist and then a screenwriter. So I guess Allah chose for me to be a writer.

3. What was your first novel? How did it feel then?

Ans: It was a short story with the title "Khushbu, Badal, Chand, Hawa". I was a student at that time and very young so obviously my reaction was a bit childish lolz. I screamed with joy. Had Bhangra wanted everyone to know that I'm a published author Hahaha.

4. What was it like writing Diyar e Dil and Bin Roye?

Ans: If you are asking about novels then honestly speaking Diyar-e-Dil as a novel was not my best thing. It could have been written better which I tried to do in the script. I personally feel Diyar e Dil s script is far better than the original novel. I'm planning to rewrite Diyar e Dil's novel with all the additions that I've made for the script. In my opinion Diyar e Dil's script is my best script till date. Diyar e Dil s critics can disagree with me.
Bin Roye Aansoo is amongst my best novels. I cried and laughed with Saba. Saba's character is very close to my heart.

5. What did you do when you finished writing?

Ans: I reviewed and proofread my novel /script. I am my own very harsh and brutal critic. So after the first draft comes the critic Farhat Ishtiaq herself. I have a habit of criticizing my writings a lot.
Sometimes I just wish to go easy on myself but the perfectionist in me never let me do so.

6. Did you have any idea that your characters will come to life on-screen? Or did you always write for TV?

Ans: No I never had this idea.

7. Have you ever thought about writing a sequel of your stories since they always turn out to be great hits on TV?

Ans: No. This thought never crossed my mind. Although viewers wanted a sequel for Humsafar but I don't think it's a good idea.

8. What did you have in mind when you were developing the characters of Diyar e Dil?

Ans: Family ties, relationships and love. It was a journey which my characters took to find out whether love is enough for us or do we need blood relations also? Can a person survive without his/her parents, siblings and family? My characters chose different paths and some of them later regret their decisions. How one generation's mistakes bring troubles to the next generation was also a big problem which my characters faced.

9. What have you been always fascinated of? Did anything ever influence or inspire you?

Ans: I've always been fascinated with the complexities of human nature. I love to explore human nature always. A lot of things inspire me. Sometimes just being alone and having a long walk inspires me to write. Rain, sea, a cup of coffee, a kind gesture anything can give me the inspiration to write.

10. Did you receive any kind of criticism regarding your work ever since Humsafar, Diyar e Dil and soon to be launched Bin Roye?

Ans: Any? Are you kidding? Lolz!!! I do receive a lot of criticism. I don't mind criticism as long as it is constructive & positive.

11. Have you ever been under any kind of pressure while writing?

Ans : Pressure. No. But I always feel a sense of responsibility. My readers / viewers love me. They have very high expectations from me. I don't want to disappoint them so I have to work harder & harder to meet their expectations.

12. Are you working on any projects right now?

Ans: Yes

13. Which character did you enjoy the most writing from the 3 dramas? (Humsafar, DeD and Bin Roye)

Ans: Humsafar: Khirad
Bin Roye : Saba
Diyar e Dil : Agha Jaan, Arjumand and Wali
To pick only one among them is very difficult. You can't ask a mother about her favorite kid

14. Now that Bin Roye is about to hit the big screen and cast images seem to be everywhere, what are you expectations from it?

Ans: Expectations are very high. Insha-Allah it will be the biggest hit of Pakistani cinema. Everyone from the producer to the director & cast and the entire team of Bin Roye had worked really hard on this project.

15. Has your work ever affected your personal life?

Ans: No. Alhamdolliah it never happened to me.

16. Talk to us about your writing routine; what's a typical writing day for you?

Ans: usually I write for 8- 10 hours in a day.

17. People would love to know about your family life. Would like to share a bid with us?

Farhat Ishtiaq with mother

Ans: I have a very loving family Alhamdolliah. I have a perfect environment & atmosphere for my writing at my home. My family loves me, they tolerate me. YES!! TOLERATE me. Being a writer I'm very moody & temperamental. I have mood swings. Believe me, to live with a writer is not easy. But my family accepts and owns me with all my flaws.

18. Final question (promise!): do you have any advice for the yet-to-be-published writers reading this?

Ans: so you want to be a writer. Ok great! But are you prepared to travel on a long, lonely road? Yes writing is rewarding. It will get you fame but it is exhausting also. Writing is a very lonely profession. Are you prepared to be all alone with your fictional characters? If yes then come inside this beautiful world of imagination.

In the end I would like to thank all my readers / viewers for their love & appreciation. It means a lot to me.

Lastly thanks Zeresch Gill for inviting me to this forum.
Love you all!!

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: canuck-umz

Yeee no... Mahira definitely looks like she is in her mid-30s while Armeena can pass off as being younger like early to mid-20s. Humayun does not look too old for Mahira while he does look old for Armeena.

I think we've discussed this before? but when Mahira originally started off as a VJ, she had a lot of charm. She had something about her which made her stand out. She also displayed spunk. Funny enough I actually liked her as a VJ...because she had that vibrant personality. which gave her an edge over the other VJs...and it showed on her face too. Ever since she became an actress, I don't see that charm in her anymore. That vibrant face she had, is not there anymore. I don't know if it's because of her personal life? or stress? but it shows on her face...and lately, age as well. You can also tell by her hair of then and now that there's a difference (stress perhaps). And, I'm only comparing Mahira of now to Mahira of then..so no offense to anyone here. It's just my opinion and what I've observed about her over the years.

BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: starstruckk

I think we've discussed this before? but when Mahira originally started off as a VJ, she had a lot of charm. She had something about her which made her stand out. She also displayed spunk. Funny enough I actually liked her as a VJ...because she had that vibrant personality. which gave her an edge over the other VJs...and it showed on her face too. Ever since she became an actress, I don't see that charm in her anymore. That vibrant face she had, is not there anymore. I don't know if it's because of her personal life? or stress? but it shows on her face...and lately, age as well. You can also tell by her hair of then and now that there's a difference (stress perhaps). And, I'm only comparing Mahira of now to Mahira of then..so no offense to anyone here. It's just my opinion and what I've observed about her over the years.

I'm not being defensive here just stating my observations over the years as well, but I agree that the hair thinning/falling, weight loss, general non-fresh look on her face, and age showing all really has to do with her personal life.. she became an insomniac when her marriage formed cracks, cut her hair short when her and Ali separated for the first time stating she needed to get weight off her shoulders and needed change after years of keeping the long hair, and that's when she started regularly smoking too.. She was 21 when she started on MTV so the spunk, the I-don't-give-a-damn attitude, and the charm blended well. Plus as a VJ her personal life was all happy and settled, the bliss showed on her face. She was madly in love with Ali, and she herself said that all she wanted was to be with him despite her parents being against her marriage.. she even went to LA for him, so when it went bad it really got to her. As soon as she signed on Bol, there were issues in their marriage judging by Mahira's own statements.. I think during or after Humsafar her husband permanently wanted her to quit. It's pretty obvious they aren't together anymore, whether they're officially divorced who knows but they tried to work on their marriage twice before permanently separating [which was Ali's call] and which is also why she took a year off right after completing shehrezaat.. I feel she really wanted him to be part of her fame, but going by what I've heard, read, and seen, don't think he was supportive despite pushing her to become a VJ when she didn't. In her interviews post 2012, she frequently mentions things along the lines of isolation, losing faith/going into the darkness because of fame. Recently at Hum Awards during an interview she also said, you can win all the awards and applauds but what if there's no one to share it with once you come back home.. and how going to set makes her forget all the other things that are happening in her life and makes her feel good. There's been so much change in her personal life from the moment she became an actor, with two of her best friends siblings passing away, one battling a drug/addiction problem, her own separation, and I guess generally growing up over the years, hence there's a great difference in the Mahira before and now. I don't see the same bubbly attitude in her anymore at all.. there's a visible sadness on her face no matter how much she'll smile.

BlackStar. thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Kashmiri-

Anyone know who Adeel is playing? He sure knows how to dance!

I don't think he's there just for the song.. the film looks like it has a lot of changes compared to the novel, whereas the drama will be closer to the novel since both scripts are different.. So, I believe he's playing the role OKB was supposed to do.. the guy who likes Saba and wants to marry her but she refuses and later on she marries Safeer instead.
-Phantom- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Mahira needs to visit some friends in LA.
BlackStar. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Emmjay

Mahira needs to visit some friends in LA.

She went with Azlaan in 2012 when her and Ali initially separated. Her friends don't live in LA anymore though..
-Phantom- thumbnail

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

She went with Azlaan in 2012 when her and Ali initially separated. Her friends don't live in LA anymore though..

I was talking about friends in Beverly Hills. The kind all celebrities have to make at some point. The doctor kind...
BlackStar. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Emmjay

I was talking about friends in Beverly Hills. The kind all celebrities have to make at some point. The doctor kind...

😆😆 I'm sure they're available in Karachi.
BlackStar. thumbnail
Bin Roye's Story:

Bin Roye is a saga of obsession in love that develops jealousy and rivalry between two girls for one perfect match. It is a story that can be best described as a tragic beauty.

Saba (Mahira Khan) is a beautiful girl-next-door. She is a hopeless romantic, who embodies the purity of undying teenage love in herself. She sees love as a gravitational force that pulls all life together.

She is rooted in eastern norms and values but driven to obsession by her intense feelings for the man of her dreams. She often finds herself at crossroads where one wrong decision can have a devastating impact on everybody around her. She has to choose between what's right and what's not at every step of her life. However she is compelled to make choices that she no longer wishes to make, she has to stand by them all her life.

Irtaza (Humayun Saeed) is a charming and desirable man whom Saba is mad about. He is her cousin, and has been her first love since her teenage. Their folks reside together as a combined family in their ancestral home in Pakistan.

When Irtaza decides to go abroad for higher studies, Saba stands opposed to it because she is deeply possessive of him. Irtaza eventually leaves for London, but he ensures her that he'd be back soon.

Saman (Armeena Rana Khan) is an attractive modern Londoner. She is unaware of the fact that she was adopted by her maternal uncle in her years of infancy. Irtaza strikes a chord with her in London, and eventually falls in love with her but does not confess.

Saba, on the other hand, desperately longs for Irtaza and his return, expecting him to keep his promise.

In a twist of events Saman discovers that her biological parents are elsewhere, which brings her to Pakistan in her ancestral home. Saba immediately develops a bond with Saman upon knowing that she is her elder sister. Their friendship grows deeper by every passing day until Irtaza confesses his love for Saman.

Irtaza proposes to Saman, and their respective elders happily agree to tie them in the matrimonial knot. Saba reacts like a bruised beloved and begins to despise Saman. She sees her as someone who has robbed her off of her love. The rivalry brings the two sisters against one another.

What follows is a tragic story of regret, remorse and reunion.It is a beautiful tale about how romantic love can often bring out the best, and sometimes the worst, in us.

-Phantom- thumbnail

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

😆😆 I'm sure they're available in Karachi.

Yeah but Karachi ke friends bolti to kisi ko waisay hi kuch samajh nahi aata. She must have a gazillion friends there 😆