Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ltelidevaralak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: amritat

Not everyone sees Draupadi the way u do.
I too vehemently oppose to the weak characterisation but this thread was made for a different reason or so I feel.
And no matter wat is written in those novels, none of them are authentic like the text we have today...

Besides the pining is subtly there in the text, whether we like it or not. Now if we dismiss that conveniently to fit our own personal beliefs, then that's our choice...We cam only oppose if Draupadi is being portrayed with disrespect or factually incorrectly. Not otherwise.

. Thank you amritat for realising the purpose of the post.As this is a part of my thesis on Mahabharata I wanted to present what Vyasa narrated to us.I respect Draupadi for what she is and I always feel that her love for arjun enhances her dignity.But not otherwise. As for those who think it will diminish her image ,they are free to hold their view.
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Im all for ardi romance, if both like a true couple are shown loving each other equally. Not a woman pinning over a man
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnuMP

What there is in the text has nothing subtle about it. It is almost like bludgeoning people with the idea that she pined. Which is why I think they are interpolations.

And the 2 incidents I mentioned here have clearly been twisted to suggest pining on her part. And I can completely oppose it since they are incorrect.

I will tell you what was subtle in the epic. ARJUN needing to leave on exile after his Gandeev is somehow in Panchali's chambers. ARJUN standing up in the DS and repeating his wife'swords almost verbatim against Yudhi. ARJUN agreeing with her in Kamyaka vana. ARJUN taking on the disguise of a Napunsak to protect her (no man on earth will do that even in this day and age). ARJUN sulking in the UpaK incident because Panchali taunts him. Finally ARJUN bursting like a pressure cooker talking about Yudhi occupying Panchali's bed.

Compare that to the ArSu convo or the exile monologue and they feel added on.

I would say that ARJUN was the one doing the pining and somehow, somewhere people could not stomach the fact that a strong hero could have been pining or that a female could have been the stronger partner and changed her into the one who was doing the running.

You ask why ArDi lovers turn into ArDi haters? This is the prime example.

The points that u just raised will bring about more Ardi hatred πŸ˜† as there are many who just cant digest these scenes...πŸ˜‰ Some people just want to believe that Arjun never loved Draupadi enough...she was not so loveable...
In fact, to some, Arjun's trysts with all his other wives are 'classical love stories' but the one with Draupadi...ishh!!
Is that even a love story!! That is just an archery contest turned marriage...πŸ˜‰

Anyway, u see discussing Arjun's feelings for Draupadi means inviting bands of haters...πŸ˜‰
So it's safer to discuss Draupadi's feelings for Arjun which has been clearly depicted in the epic...In that way, we will be going by the epic...πŸ˜‰

I know u are getting my point...πŸ˜‰ Noone knows me better than u here...πŸ˜‰
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: indianprincess

Im all for ardi romance, if both like a true couple are shown loving each other equally. Not a woman pinning over a man

If that is the case, then there's a lot in the epic to suggest mutual love.
I cant say whom Arjun loved most...but mutual feelings were there.
We, some Ardians, had found out n discussed citations to prove that... 😊
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail
Arjun was smitten by her beauty in the SV not the other way round , IMO this was the reason he participated and not for some archery contest.
what i mean is he fell in love with her first and wanted her but had to share her with his brothers, I'm sure he was jealous as well seeing her with his brothers.
Im a feminist so would like to believe this.
i hope amrita I've cooled ur anger now.πŸ˜‰coz m a sensitive person can't see anyone upset coz of me
Edited by indianprincess - 9 years ago
ltelidevaralak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: indianprincess

Arjun was smitten by her beauty in the SV not the other way round , IMO this was the reason he participated and not for some archery contest.

what i mean is he fell in love with her first and wanted her but had to share her with his brothers, I'm sure he was jealous as well seeing her with his brothers.
Im a feminist so would like to believe this.
i hope amrita I've cooled ur anger now.πŸ˜‰coz m a sensitive person can't see anyone upset coz of me

. The citations I gave are from Bori critical edition.I Truely respect it as it is the culmination of an extensive research done for fifty years.It is my pleasure to inform that the ironic statement of Yudhi when Draupadi fell,finds it's place in it.Pakshapato mahanasya viseshena dhananjaye...She is extremely partial towards Arjuna...The ultimate truth of Draupadi evokes interest and a wish to study how Vyasa supported this statement.If still someone feels it an interpolation it is ok They can ignore Bori also.
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail

Originally posted by: amritat

The points that u just raised will bring about more Ardi hatred πŸ˜† as there are many who just cant digest these scenes...πŸ˜‰ Some people just want to believe that Arjun never loved Draupadi enough...she was not so loveable...
In fact, to some, Arjun's trysts with all his other wives are 'classical love stories' but the one with Draupadi...ishh!!
Is that even a love story!! That is just an archery contest turned marriage...πŸ˜‰

Anyway, u see discussing Arjun's feelings for Draupadi means inviting bands of haters...πŸ˜‰
So it's safer to discuss Draupadi's feelings for Arjun which has been clearly depicted in the epic...In that way, we will be going by the epic...πŸ˜‰

I know u are getting my point...πŸ˜‰ Noone knows me better than u here...πŸ˜‰

what? do ppl actually believe this?
everyone present in the SV(except her family and krish-bal) were fida on her, so how can arjun be any different?
when in KMG it is explicitly mentioned they(p's including arjun) were lovestruck seeing her.
Edited by indianprincess - 9 years ago
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail

Originally posted by: ltelidevaralak

. The citations I gave are from Bori critical edition.I Truely respect it as it is the culmination of an extensive research done for fifty years.It is my pleasure to inform that the ironic statement of Yudhi when Draupadi fell,finds it's place in it.Pakshapato mahanasya viseshena dhananjaye...She is extremely partial towards Arjuna...The ultimate truth of Draupadi evokes interest and a wish to study how Vyasa supported this statement.If still someone feels it an interpolation it is ok They can ignore Bori also.

ok, agree drau loved him but what are ur views on arjun ,did he love her equally or not?
Myraluvpanchali thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Itelidevaralak wonderful job! I love Arjuna~Draupadi pair 😳 plz do continue.

Well as far as ArDi are concerned more than ArDI bashers,I've actually seen more ArDi fans!and well I do believe that portraying Draupadi as a person heads over heels in love is really very wrong,and I too hate this! I've always imagined Draupadi as woman with dignity,so I just can't accept her as a love sick puppy.but TM whatever you've posted,I don't take it against draupadi's characterization,I think it's really normal to express emotions some times.and the age old topic about who loved whom and blah blah is just ridiculous 🀒 Mahabharata was not a love story,we can only choose among the pairs as far as I believe.i choose ArDi b'coz they are simply so magical as a couple but more than that I can't claim whom they loved or didn't!i was not there about 50000yrs ago to witness anything. So TM plz post I'm really interested.
Edited by Myraluvpanchali - 9 years ago
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
At the risk of starting the elephants and lotuses discussion againπŸ˜†. The initial attraction was from Arjun's side and actually all the Pandavas' side.

And Halayudha (Valadeva) and Janardana (Krishna) and the chief of the Vrishni, Andhaka, and Yadava tribes who obeyed the leadership of Krishna were also there, viewing the scene. And beholding those elephants in rut--the five (Pandavas)--attracted towards Draupadi like mighty elephants towards a lake overgrown with lotuses, or like fire covered with ashes, Krishna the foremost of Yadu heroes began to reflect. And he said unto Rama (Valadeva), 'That is Yudhishthira; that is Bhima with Jishnu (Arjuna); and those are the twin heroes.' And Rama surveying them slowly cast a glance of satisfaction at Krishna. Biting their nether lips in wrath, the other heroes there--sons and grandsons of kings--with their eyes and hearts and thoughts set on Krishna, looked with expanded eyes on Draupadi alone without noticing the Pandavas. And the sons of Pritha also, of mighty arms, and the illustrious twin heroes, beholding Draupadi, were all likewise struck by the shafts of Kama.

The Mahabharata, Book 1: Adi Parva: Swayamvara Parva: Section CLXL
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago