Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
No, loving a man does not lessen her. But to use stories which do not otherwise fit into the narrative and stick out like sore thumbs as a matter of fact, to prove that she loved him does lessen her

I know I have said this a gazillion times, but Panchali had much much more to her than her men. She ran the operations in the Empire and did the finances. Where do you think Bheem and Arjun got the money from to play around with during the Imperial campaign?😲 Not only that the speech she gives in the DS is the one Yudhi should have given. She is the one who frees the MIGHTY HEROES. Also she clearly says she refuses to blame Yudhi while she was in the DS, but tears a strip off him later. The convo she has with Yudhi in the beginning of Vana parva has him sweating bullets and the only way he could get out of it was by accusing her of talking like an atheist, probably a crime in those days!

When everyone else was busy calming down G in Kamyaka vana and later in Udyoga parva, it takes one short para from Panchali to get him around to HER way of thinking. She negotiated with Keechak and when that didn't work maneuvered his execution without any help in strategizing from any of the Patis. Bheem was putty in her hands and she used that.

She was an able administrator, knew the law and the shastras, knew ethics and ethical principles, knew her strategy and had the intestinal fortitude to order the execution of a country's CiC within its borders!

Then she proceeds to demonstrate her capacity for forgiveness when she lets Ashwi go.

When this woman gets reduced to a Mills and Boon heroine ordered around by Arjun and Krishna and angsting after Arjun, it does irritate me. Because I have seen no place in KMG where Panchali was not in command of the situation even when the 2 heroes were present in the same frame. They usually come around to her way of thinking, not the other way. That really bugged me about ⭐️Bharat in some parts when ⭐️Krishna had to talk her into things. Arrey, she had an awesomely forceful personality and usually Krishna acquiesced to her not the other way around. In fact, when there was a direct conflict in what Arjun and Panchali were aiming for in Kamyaka vana, Krishna promises to move mountains to bring about what SHE wanted and get this, Panchali gives Arjun an 'oblique look' and immediately Arjun says 'Whatever you want, honey'😆

When we use words like 'jealousy' and 'sulking' in reference to her or suggest that she was using her 'feminine wiles' or that she was petty, it is actually sexism cloaked in the language of romance.

In fact any day of the week, I would rather believe she did those things on purpose to keep Arjun hooked with her jealous act and the others always striving to catch up. No, I don't actually believe that, she was actually too straightforward for her own good. But I would rather believe that of her than see her treated like some pretty shell of a woman with a native cunning but otherwise having zilch for brains!.
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
ltelidevaralak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnuMP

No, loving a man does not lessen her. But to use stories which do not otherwise fit into the narrative and stick out like sore thumbs as a matter of fact, to prove that she loved him does lessen her

I know I have said this a gazillion times, but Panchali had much much more to her than her men. She ran the operations in the Empire and did the finances. Where do you think Bheem and Arjun got the money from to play around with during the Imperial campaign?😲 Not only that the speech she gives in the DS is the one Yudhi should have given. She is the one who frees the MIGHTY HEROES. Also she clearly says she refuses to blame Yudhi while she was in the DS, but tears a strip off him later. The convo she has with Yudhi in the beginning of Vana parva has him sweating bullets and the only way he could get out of it was by accusing her of talking like an atheist, probably a crime in those days!

When everyone else was busy calming down G in Kamyaka vana and later in Udyoga parva, it takes one short para from Panchali to get him around to HER way of thinking. She negotiated with Keechak and when that didn't work maneuvered his execution without any help in strategizing from any of the Patis. Bheem was putty in her hands and she used that.

She was an able administrator, knew the law and the shastras, knew ethics and ethical principles, knew her strategy and had the intestinal fortitude to order the execution of a country's CiC within its borders!

Then she proceeds to demonstrate her capacity for forgiveness when she lets Ashwi go.

When this woman gets reduced to a Mills and Boon heroine ordered around by Arjun and Krishna and angsting after Arjun, it does irritate me. Because I have seen no place in KMG where Panchali was not in command of the situation even when the 2 heroes were present in the same frame. They usually come around to her way of thinking, not the other way. That really bugged me about ⭐️Bharat in some parts when ⭐️Krishna had to talk her into things. Arrey, she had an awesomely forceful personality and usually Krishna acquiesced to her not the other way around. In fact, when there was a direct conflict in what Arjun and Panchali were aiming for in Kamyaka vana, Krishna promises to move mountains to bring about what SHE wanted and get this, Panchali gives Arjun an 'oblique look' and immediately Arjun says 'Whatever you want, honey'😆

When we use words like 'jealousy' and 'sulking' in reference to her or suggest that she was using her 'feminine wiles' or that she was petty, it is actually sexism cloaked in the language of romance.

In fact any day of the week, I would rather believe she did those things on purpose to keep Arjun hooked with her jealous act and the others always striving to catch up. No, I don't actually believe that, she was actually too straightforward for her own good. But I would rather believe that of her than see her treated like some pretty shell of a woman with a native cunning but otherwise having zilch for brains!. I firmly believe love is a universal emotion that fits perfectly with anyone be it gods,demigods,demons or human beings.It won't be demeaning the character of Draupadi if she experienced the feeling of love.Lord Krishna himself is the greatest example of prematatva that he endorsed through out his life either with gopies,Radha or with rukmini and others.It does'nt mean that he gave importance to his love life only.He perfectly carried out his Devine plan of establishing dharma.The god of gods siva himself proved himself as an intense lover by showing his love for satidevi.Great personalities like Jhansi Lakshmi bai,rudramadevi,Rajia sultan and even indiragandhi had their own love stories.Just because the other aspects of their life demanded more space and attention , the other side of their lives did not get that much space.Draupadi apart from being a great queen,is a woman first.So it is natural to feel all womanly emotions.As per her sulking before Arjuna,it certainly is very apt to say those words.Vyasa is the greatest story teller I come across who found away to present the emotions of his characters in war ridden epic.To take it or not depends upon our choice.you may not accept it,fine. I would definitely take it as per my understanding.As per interpolations,we have bori,geezers press,southern version...so many.But thankfully the soul of the epic remains intact.

Word Count: 1

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Agreed completely.
A powerful woman may also have tender feelings...Wat should be avoided is defining Draupadi only by those feelings...
As long as we can avoid the cliche n see various sides to her character, there is no harm in discussing her love life, which is very much part of the epic...
ltelidevaralak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
AnuMP thumbnail
In that case allow me to say that Arjun was a lover boy first and Krishna was a ladies' man first. If neither of those descriptions fit, then why would Panchali's description be that of a woman in love first.

Being a woman is a matter of biology. But nothing says that the 2nd X chromosome predisposes her to putting her love life first. She clearly did not. Her men formed but a fraction of her life.
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

In that case allow me to say that Arjun was a lover boy first and Krishna was a ladies' man first. If neither of those descriptions fit, then why would Panchali's description be that of a woman in love first.

Being a woman is a matter of biology. But nothing says that the 2nd X chromosome predisposes her to putting her love life first. She clearly did not. Her men formed but a fraction of her life.

Anu...I dont think the TM made the post to prove that only Ardi is all that is there to Draupadi...
Ofcourse there are many other sides to her...She is only discussing one fraction of Draupadi's life that u just talked about, n there's no harm in that...is there?
Ofcourse, there are many other powerful sides to her nature which are also being discussed...so wats the harm in discussing this one?
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
while its perfectly ok to root for ur fav couple, but to say that drau loved arjun the most is a bit too much.
AFAIK, she loved all her husbands equally but had a slight inclination towards arjun if we were to take yudi's words on this. nonetheless, i believe she loved all her husbands equally. I have reasons to prove my point.
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail

Mahabharat is not a love story. It is not an ArDi story or even a Pandav-Panchali story. That being said - It's quite definitely not an ArSu story which was a political alliance brought about by Krishna using Arjun's attraction to Subhadra. Subhi was indifferent at best. Initial attraction is quite different from love and that goes for Arjun as well as the ladies. Arjun was quite clearly said to be attracted to both women at first sight but only Panchali was called his beloved.

Mahabharat is a story of individuals sacrificing for the betterment of the world around them. Panchali had quite a busy life and she quite clearly tells Satyabhama that she bears the burden of the Empire while the Pandavas 'pursue their virtue'. If she ran an Empire that extended from the Vindhyas to the Himalayas, from the Arabian sea to Pragjyotisha, then she had time freezing capabilities like ⭐️Krishna to stew about who else Arjun was 'pursuing his virtue' with.

Also if Panchali actually said all those words about Arjun, in a book supposed to have increased from 8K to 24K verses that it was originally (according to Indologists) to the 100 K verses now, then she DID a lot of things which showed her reliance on Bheem. It's up to the reader I guess to decide which speaks louder for them, actions or words.

But, IMHO, when we focus on who loved whom, the meaning of the epic is lost.

well said anu, I'm agreeing with u for the first time.😊
AnuMP thumbnail
Amrita
You are absolutely right. I have no excuses. The only explanation is that I hardly see the other side of her discussed. She is either a scorned woman or vengeful virago or Krishna's puppet according to most.

My apologies to the TM
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail

Amrita

You are absolutely right. I have no excuses. The only explanation is that I hardly see the other side of her discussed. She is either a scorned woman or vengeful virago or Krishna's puppet according to most.

My apologies to the TM

you know what anu, i really like drau's character and wanted to learn more abt her, i would sometimes visit draupadi AT on this forum for information on her, all i got to read was ardi love, ardi hugs, ardi kisses, pain of separation and on and on. For one piece of information on her i had go through 10 pages of ardi story
I wanted to join the AT but seeing all this backed off.
Edited by indianprincess - 9 years ago